Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Multiplayer Perspective: Modern Warfare 2 = Gears of War 2 IMO

NeoLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By NeoLobster

Recently come to the conclusion that Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer issues run very similar to the same short-comings that GOW2 had. Although GOW2 didn't have as much to live up as MW2, I was still really disappointed with it, as I am with MW2 to this day. When I started doing some comparisons I noticed some really big similarities between the 2 games and there various issues.

Gears of War 2

• Matchmaking Issues (E.G. cannot find a game for long periods of time, dropping out of parties, and splitting up parties if in a game.)
    • Gun Balancing Issues (Shotguns too weak, Snipers too strong, and Launchers too powerful)
    • Latency Issues (LAG)
    • Glitches (Invisible Chain Saw, Unlimited ammo)

Modern Warfare 2

• Matchmaking Issues (Parties being split up and such. Games unjoinable, Host migration script boots to dashboard)
    • Gun Balancing Issues (Model 1887's and Launchers + Danger Close)
    • Latency Issues (I was behind the wall how did he kill me?)
    • Glitches (Care Package glitch and those FFA Rust Lobbies with unlimited noobtube)

Maybe I'm just a little paranoid but those are some pretty big similarities, personally I think alot of MW2/GOW2's problems could have been easily avoided with a beta. In my opnion they didn't test either of those games for shit and as a fan I find that really disappointing. Although to this day GOW2's multiplayer is so much better than it once was and it actually quite a bit of fun to play. Hopefully the same will be true for MW2 in the future.
    NeoLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By NeoLobster

Recently come to the conclusion that Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer issues run very similar to the same short-comings that GOW2 had. Although GOW2 didn't have as much to live up as MW2, I was still really disappointed with it, as I am with MW2 to this day. When I started doing some comparisons I noticed some really big similarities between the 2 games and there various issues.

Gears of War 2

• Matchmaking Issues (E.G. cannot find a game for long periods of time, dropping out of parties, and splitting up parties if in a game.)
    • Gun Balancing Issues (Shotguns too weak, Snipers too strong, and Launchers too powerful)
    • Latency Issues (LAG)
    • Glitches (Invisible Chain Saw, Unlimited ammo)

Modern Warfare 2

• Matchmaking Issues (Parties being split up and such. Games unjoinable, Host migration script boots to dashboard)
    • Gun Balancing Issues (Model 1887's and Launchers + Danger Close)
    • Latency Issues (I was behind the wall how did he kill me?)
    • Glitches (Care Package glitch and those FFA Rust Lobbies with unlimited noobtube)

Maybe I'm just a little paranoid but those are some pretty big similarities, personally I think alot of MW2/GOW2's problems could have been easily avoided with a beta. In my opnion they didn't test either of those games for shit and as a fan I find that really disappointing. Although to this day GOW2's multiplayer is so much better than it once was and it actually quite a bit of fun to play. Hopefully the same will be true for MW2 in the future.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Burns098356GX

Your stretching those ideas to fit your cause.

ErrorOperator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ErrorOperator
    @NeoLobster said:  
    "In my opnion they didn't test either of those games for shit " 

I think they did some sort of testing on the game.
    evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By evanbrau

I've not experienced either the breaking up of parties or latency. The 1887s and tubers are easily dealt with and fixed for the most part. The only glitch I encountered was the javelin glitch once and then the ice skating glitch also once in almost 3 days of playing.

With Gears of War 2 I tried for its whole launch weekend to get into a game, couldn't and never actually played online, fuck that game.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By nanikore

So what? 

Edit: By the way, tauren can't be warlocks.

Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Laharl

Every time i read the letters GOW i thought god of war and had to go err uh gears of war in my head. Maybe its cause i never played the gears of war games, from the sounds of it i didnt miss much lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Laharl said:
    " Every time i read the letters GOW i thought god of war and had to go err uh gears of war in my head. Maybe its cause i never played the gears of war games, from the sounds of it i didnt miss much lol. "
    When it worked, i.e. everyone had a good connection and there wasn't massive amounts of latency, GOW2 was great online, however more often than not it wasn't like that and I just got steadily more pissed off with it :(
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArchScabby

I've never had problems with lag in either game.  You should check you contention buddy.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By ez123

I don't own MW2 but some of those Gears complaints are weird.  Overpowered weapons are such on purpose.  Boomshot and Sniper are set up in parts of the map so the teams fight for them.  

More powerful shotty would = Shotty Fest aka Gears 1 

I really didn't experience that many glitches, MUCH better than Gears 1.  

Lag and matchmaking stuff got better, still suck.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @NeoLobster said: 
      Shotguns too weak? Are you high? Shotguns single handedly turned me off the entire gears of war franchise.  They are the most random unbalanced fuck ups in any game I've played.  Even the 1887's don't bother me as much as the Gears Shotgun.

But no I don't really think there are many similarities between the two games, I've never had lag or lobby problems in MW2, sometimes the server drops out somehow and you're all kicked to lobby but the game does a pretty good job of finding brand new games within a minute so it's never a problem.  The only thing that really bothers me in Modern Warfare 2 are the random fads that the player base gets stuck in, first the 1887's, then the Javelin, then the care packages and now grenade launchers.  I still have a lot of fun with the game but I may move on the Bad Company 2 if there's a good sale on the Pc version.
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JDDrewes
    • Matchmaking Issues (Parties being split up and such. Games unjoinable, Host migration script boots to dashboard) - Never really experienced Matchmaking issues. If a game didn't work, i just backed out and tried again, and it always worked the second time.
    • Gun Balancing Issues (Model 1887's and Launchers + Danger Close) - Shotties were patched. I still hate noob tubers.
    • Latency Issues (I was behind the wall how did he kill me?) - Bullet penetration. That's in the game on purpose
    • Glitches (Care Package glitch and those FFA Rust Lobbies with unlimited noobtube)    - patched and patched
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By wefwefasdf

The Lancer or snipers are not overpowered. The shotgun is just too weak. If anything, the Hammerburst is overpowered. :D

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " The Lancer or snipers are not overpowered. The shotgun is just too weak. If anything, the Hammerburst is overpowered. :D "
    Hammerburst is insanely powerful when everyone is using it and teamshooting like in halo. Absolutely nothing can touch it. But it's ultimately sidelined and useless because everyone playing gears 2 is a tool and would prefer to bounce around walls and roll around a lot with a shotgun than play strategically and smart. Ultimately because if you want a strategic game there's far better ones out there. 

Anyway, the only real similarities are that they're both rushed and poorly done, and they both charge extortionate prices for DLC that isn't very good at all.
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Modern Warfare 2 (and really any game honestly) is so far beyond Gears 2 in terms of lag and matchmaking it isn't even funny.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Modern Warfare 2 = Halo 2. Maybe not in specific case.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The only really irritating part about Gears of war 2's multiplayer is lag, and always being unable to find games, especially when you are by yourself.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive

guess what we know your opinion is your opinion. especially when its a blog dude. its a pet peeve it annoys me when i see imo lol, if you're saying it ITS OBVIOUSLY your opinion AHHH !!! lol i need sleep. 

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Ryax
    @nanikore said:
    " So what?  Edit: By the way, tauren can't be warlocks. "
    oh shit. bitch just got shut down 

i like gears 2.
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bubahula
    @Burns098356GX said:
    " Your stretching those ideas to fit your cause. "
    Verit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Verit
    @JDDrewes said:
    • Latency Issues (I was behind the wall how did he kill me?) - Bullet penetration. That's in the game on purpose
     Not all walls are penetrable, some are thick enough to stop guns with Full Metal Jacket. 
    I think what the OP is referring to is when you see someone, you run behind a wall that isn't suppose to be penetrable with bullets and they still kill you. In fact, it is shown in the killcam when you run behind and they fire their rounds (not through the barrier but a little bit behind you) and you die when you're literally 6 ft past the edge of the bulletproof wall. 

Gears 2 was pretty much disgusting regarding its matchmaking. Nothing is more infuriating than trying to find a game and waiting for several hours with no results. The game mechanics just make this worse. After waiting for hours to get into one game, that game consists of "whoever gets the godmode weapon first wins" and you don't respawn (unless it is the specific game mode). Halo wasn't a big problem regarding pick-up weapons because if you died, you could respawn. 

@Turtlemayor333 said:
    " Modern Warfare 2 (and really any game honestly) is so far beyond Gears 2 in terms of lag and matchmaking it isn't even funny. "

Basically summarizes the greatest flaw of Gears 2. The servers are capable of finding a game for you in easily under a minute. The only problems I've had with matchmaking in MW2 is trying to join a friend's lobby. However I experienced that problem went MW2 first came out but I've yet to deal with that problem at all within the past few months. The only beef I have with matchmaking is when I try to start a gaming session and every lobby I join has a game that's either:
    A) nearly over
    B) I joined the losing team that's getting sodomized worse than little boy in a room full of catholic priests  

The trick that annoys me is when I play Mercenary Team Deathmatch (which prevents people from queuing up with a bunch of friends) and people join their friends by just looking at their gamertag and pressing "join session in progress" but it isn't a huge problem for me.
    Connectivity isn't a major issue in MW2. It does happen like once in 30 games but it isn't a problem. At least it isn't like COD4 where any hiccup in the latency and the game automatically ended no matter what.

The glitches in MW2 get patched rather normally.
    NeoLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NeoLobster

" So what?  Edit: By the way, tauren can't be warlocks. "

I know that, I just liked the armor.
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22  Edited By ShinjiEx

I forgot there was a competitve mode in Gears 2
    I play it few times but after I notice it took far to many shots to kill someone 
    "Halo 3" face-palm
    I stop playing it
    Besides Gears was never meant to be a competitve game to begin with 
    based on the game play it is "Geared" towards Cooperative I.E. Horde! 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iam3green

it is kind of way different problems. sure there is lag problems. they were kind of fixed still happen to get it. i never played gears 2 online. i didn't think it was a great game that people say it was. a lot of it is fixed. epic didn't fix the problem right away like infinity ward did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.