Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

New player

Avatar image for comrademcpherson
    comrademcpherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By comrademcpherson

So, I'm getting a new PC soon, and with one of the parts, I'm getting a free copy of MW2. I'm new to the CoD series, I've heard there's some serious motherfuckery when trying to play online, anyone have any advice?

Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
    AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There are some other threads asking the same question. Check them out.

But to be a good neighbor I'd recommend using the UMP 45.

comrademcpherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By comrademcpherson
    @AestheticSynthesis: Thanks. I'll look at the other threads and see what I can find.
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Karl_Boss

It just takes time getting use to the game....most people suck when they just start then get a lot better....but a I have played on both Xbox 360 and PC and PC has a lot more less skilled players so you'll have an easier time.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By nicolenomicon

Get COD4 first, it's a good starting point for learning how to deal with the douchbaggery that is the COD demographic.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By FireBurger

Same stuff for most FPSs, move deliberately, stick to the edges of the map, use cover. COD-specific stuff: check the mini-map often for muzzle flashes, use low-level killstreaks when starting out, look out for the skull & crossbones to see where a teammate just died, when someone dies near you look to see what killed them (aka if it says knife, then someone is nearby)...

That's pretty much all I can think of. Just stick with it and you'll learn the ropes. Good luck.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax
    • M4 Carbine is a fantastic all around weapon. Definitely use that.
    • Check the mini map for red dots to see where enemies are (they only appear when they fire an unsilenced weapon or your team has a UAV up
    priorityseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By priorityseven
    @comrademcpherson said:
    " So, I'm getting a new PC soon, and with one of the parts, I'm getting a free copy of MW2. I'm new to the CoD series, I've heard there's some serious motherfuckery when trying to play online, anyone have any advice? "
    I don't know why, but I cracked up at "motherfuckery".  I think you're ready sir!
    Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joshakazam
    @PrioritySeven said:
    " @comrademcpherson said:
    " So, I'm getting a new PC soon, and with one of the parts, I'm getting a free copy of MW2. I'm new to the CoD series, I've heard there's some serious motherfuckery when trying to play online, anyone have any advice? "
    I don't know why, but I cracked up at "motherfuckery".  I think you're ready sir! "
    Indeed.
    comrademcpherson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By comrademcpherson

Thanks everyone, I'll check this stuff out as soon as my new PC comes in.

drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By drakattack

GENERAL ADVICE

The more you move the more likely you are to be shot at and the more likely you are to find action. It is a tricky balance between staying still and picking off unsuspecting enemies, and moving to maintain a tactical advantage over your enemies. I can not stress to you how important it is to learn the best places to control angles from. Cover is INCREDIBLY important. On every map and in every situation there is always a place to position yourself where you will get the first shot advantage. This isn't Halo and it doesn't take 5 seconds to kill someone. In most cases the person who see and shoots his enemy first will kill an opponent before they even knows he is there. 

PROTECT YOUR KILLSTREAK. In Modern Warfare this is the #1 rule. Never jeopardize a kill streak for anything. The larger kill streaks like the chopper gunner and AC-130 are incredibly powerful and can literally win your team a game if you are good with them. I suggest a 5/7/11 killstreak setup in order to do the most damage. Also remember to be smart about when you sprint. When you are in sprint mode you are moving faster but you also can't shoot and if you run into an enemy while sprinting, you are probably dead.

Preferred setup:

This:
    5 kills

Predator Missile

Remote control missile
    Fires a controllable missile via laptop at a designated target area, can be boosted by holding RT. However, the user is defenseless while controlling the missile.

One of these:
    7 kills

Harrier Strike

Airstrike witha hovering Harrier.
    Two harriers will fly over to drop a small carpet of bombs. The third harrier will fly over and hover the area. It will kill with a board cannon (no bombs or missiles).  Best on small maps because of the carpet bomb and you can position it over spawn points.

7 kills

Attack Helicopter

Call in a support helicopter
    Deploys a helicopter to attack enemy players. Better on larger maps because the helicopter will roam.

One of these:
    11 kills

Chopper Gunner

Be the gunner of a chopper
    Deploys an chopper that the player controls via laptop. However, the user is defenseless while commanding the chopper. Best choice in open outdoor area due to user control and lack of cover for enemies.

11 kills

AC-130

Be the gunner of an AC-130
    Deploys an AC-130 plane. You can control the 105mm, 40mm and 25mm cannon. However, you're defenseless while commanding the plane. Best choice in small battlefield due to the impact of the 105mm gun.

Learn to dropshot.

Learn to Noscope.

WEAPON ADVICE

Best weapons in the game include:

Sniper- Intervention, It has the most damage and gives you a one hit kill every time if you use the right perks with it. No other sniper does that and there is nothing worse than hitting someone with a sniper and them surviving. The Barret 50 cal. USED to be the best but they patched it because it fired the fastest and was the most powerful. Now you have to choose between a rapid fire sniper that may not kill in one shot or a slower guaranteed kill sniper.  

Long Range Rifle- Famas, same damage as M4 but less recoil and more accuracy. It can often be a one burst kill. Do NOT be fooled into a M4, It is inferior.  

Medium Range- ACR, it may seem at first glance that the M16 would be your best medium range choice just looking at the stats, but the stats don't tell you that the M16 has a lot of recoil and it's accuracy is pretty shaky. The ACR is fully automatic and has NO recoil and about twice the accuracy. Remember, everyone dies in like 4 bullets anyway so accuracy counts for ALOT. 

Don't fool around with submachine guns or light machine guns, they are a complete waste of time. Yes, they shoot fast but the recoil and accuracy is worthless and you would be better off with a shotgun.

If you want a machine gun as your second weapon, then you probably want dual G18 machine pistols. It is basically the same thing as a P90 machine gun when you have two of them equipped. 

If you want a shot gun then I suggest the AA12 for its rapid fire and range until you get dual Model 1887's. The dual Model used to be the most powerful weapon in the game but has been patched to be more balanced. It is still the most powerful shotgun in the game.   

PERKS

I am not going to get too deep into perks at the moment because this post is already ridiculously long and it really depends on the players style. I however recommend these combination.

STEALTHY:

Marathon

Unlimited Sprint
    PRO: + Climb obstacles faster.

Cold-Blooded

Undetectable by UAV, air support, sentries and thermal
    PRO: + No red crosshair or name when targeted

Ninja

Invisible to heartbeat sensors.
    PRO: + Your footsteps are silent

SNIPER:

Sleight of Hand

Faster Reloading
    PRO: + Faster Aim-Down-Sight

Stopping Power

Increased Bullet Damage
    PRO: + Extra damage vs. enemy vehicles.

Steady Aim

Increased hip-fire accuracy
    PRO: + Hold your breath longer (snipers)

DONT FORGET TO ADD  

FMJ (Full Metal Jacket)

OR  

Thermal sights

FAST MOVER:

Marathon

Unlimited Sprint
    PRO: + Climb obstacles faster.

Lightweight

Move Faster
    PRO: + Quick aim after sprinting

Commando

Increased Melee Distance
    PRO: + No Falling Damage
    OR

Ninja

Invisible to heartbeat sensors.
    PRO: + Your footsteps are silent

Have fun and don't get discouraged. It took me a long time before I was any good and you learn by playing more and more.     
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By AhmadMetallic

turn the other way, run and dont look back 

DO IT

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By rinkalicous

I suggest you try to shoot dudes in their heads.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iam3green

hope that you enjoy the game. do not get pissed about how cheap the game can be.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Djeffers03

Camp. The sad truth to doing well in this game....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.