Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Tri

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Apr 20, 2010

The first third-generation Monster Hunter game, Monster Hunter 3 (tri) represents a reboot to the franchise, with dozens of new monsters, items, weapons, and underwater combat.

Enterbrain President on Monster Hunter Tri Wii

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Enterbrain president Hirokazu Hamamura has spoken about Monster Hunter 3 in a recent interview with Mainichi.jp:  

"I thought it would sell more. Crossing the million mark was the passing grade, though. On the Wii, which doesn't have games targeting hardcore game fans, it made a decent effort against the 'hurdles' of being on a console and being a network game. However, I believe they wanted it to reach  2 million copies."

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Bring it to the 360! Capcom x Microsoft! 

:D

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel
    @xyzygy said:
    " Bring it to the 360! Capcom x Microsoft!  :D "
    Given the series's popularity in Japan, the 360 is the last console I think Capcom would consider putting a Monster Hunter game on.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xyzygy
    @Hailinel said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Given the series's popularity in Japan, the 360 is the last console I think Capcom would consider putting a Monster Hunter game on. "
    Yet Platinum coded Bayonetta specifically for the 360, Capcom brought franchises like DMC and created Lost Planet for the 360, and Square made a whole bunch of exclusive niche RPGs for the 360... and that's only scratching the surface. But still, I am not sure how well the series is doing over here so I guess if it's a huge gap, what you're saying makes sense.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    Given the series's popularity in Japan, the 360 is the last console I think Capcom would consider putting a Monster Hunter game on. "
    Yet Platinum coded Bayonetta specifically for the 360, Capcom brought franchises like DMC and created Lost Planet for the 360, and Square made a whole bunch of exclusive niche RPGs for the 360... and that's only scratching the surface. But still, I am not sure how well the series is doing over here so I guess if it's a huge gap, what you're saying makes sense. "
    Square didn't make a "whole bunch" of niche RPGs for the 360.  They've only made a relative few.  Star Ocean:  The Last Hope was originally an exclusive, but in just a few weeks, they're coming out with The Last Hope International on the PS3 that has more content and various improvements that make it a better package than the 360 version.  The same has also happened to other RPGs like Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia (both Namco RPGs) that started off as 360 exclusives before becoming bigger and better on the PS3.  Why?  Because more Japanese gamers own PS3s.

Monster Hunter as a series, prior to Monster Hunter Tri, was only on Sony platfoms; specifically the PS2 and PSP.  It's also an incredibly popular franchise in Japan that only has a niche appeal in the west.  Given the ratio of Wiis to 360s sold in Japan, I doubt that Capcom would make a game in the series for the 360.

This is different from Bayonetta, as Platinum made that game with an international audience in mind.  They understand that the DMC-style of action game has a large audience in the west, so that's what they aimed for and why it makes sense for that game to be developed for the 360 as the lead platform.  On the other hand, the 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII will not go on sale in Japan.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy
    @Hailinel: Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Operation Darkness, Spectral Force 3, Enchanted Arms, Blue Dragon, Star Ocean, Resonance of Fate, Magnacarta II, Culdcept Saga.  

These are all titles which came out originally for the 360 most of which are still exclusive and some which have went multiplatform. Even though they did go multi plat, it's usually a year or more later than they were originally released on the 360, thats a whole year we're talking. Only Resonance of Fate is coming out at the same time, and Tales of Vesperia PS3 isn't available everywhere. Even though it did come to the PS3, the fact remains that they were originally created for the 360, and they're all pretty niche titles, even though Square didn't make them all. And I'm probably missing a few too. I'm not even looking at Arcade titles, I'm not sure if there are any there either.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64
    @Hailinel said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    That's true.  It would tank on 360.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Hailinel: Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, Operation Darkness, Spectral Force 3, Enchanted Arms, Blue Dragon, Star Ocean, Resonance of Fate, Magnacarta II, Culdcept Saga.   These are all titles which came out originally for the 360 most of which are still exclusive and some which have went multiplatform. Even though they did go multi plat, it's usually a year or more later than they were originally released on the 360, thats a whole year we're talking. Only Resonance of Fate is coming out at the same time, and Tales of Vesperia PS3 isn't available everywhere. Even though it did come to the PS3, the fact remains that they were originally created for the 360, and they're all pretty niche titles, even though Square didn't make them all. And I'm probably missing a few too. I'm not even looking at Arcade titles, I'm not sure if there are any there either. "
    And the fact is that many of those titles either sold less than great, or they didn't live up to the hype.  From what I understand, a lot of the people that bought 360s for Blue Dragon in Japan actually ended up returning the console after they were done with the game.

And seriously, Operation Darkness is one of the biggest pieces of shit I have played this generation.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @Hailinel said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    That's true.  It would tank on 360. "

We shall be able to find out if Frontier comes to the West.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.