Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter

Franchise »

One of Capcom's flagship franchises, Monster Hunter is a wildly successful action RPG franchise where the player hunts giant monsters of a variety of types across different zones and with a wide range of weaponry.

I want to get into Monster Hunter- Where to start ?

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

So i'v been interested in Monster Hunter for years now but never been able to get into them.
    What do you guys think is a good starting point ?
    I own an old PSP and a Wii u but no 3ds so the new one is out of the question.

Should i try to find the PSP games for cheap or go with the Wii u one ?

Thank,

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

The Wii U one (3U) still has people playing it so go with that one.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Bollard

Yeah definitely go for MH3U on the WiiU. It has online play which means you'll be able to find people to show you the ropes, it has the best graphics of any MH ever and it has easy to use camera control for new players with 2 analogue sticks. If you have the classic controller pro or whatever it's called even better.

soul101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

MH3U is great, but I seriously recommend watching some beginner tutorial videos before you jump in, the game explains very little and that may be enough to end your enjoyment before it begins. Good luck, hope it sticks!

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks dudes :) i bought mh3u

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You should really start with 4U, it has some great tutorials and explains things better and in more detail then 3U does. That being said 3U is a fantastic game that you should play as well.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@nux: He said he doesn't have a 3DS to play 4U on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In regards to gameplay, I recommend using a hammer for your first few missions. I found it to be the most versatile, easiest to learn, move set in the game.

...but after that graduate into switch-axe, since it's the coolest.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@corevi: I keep forgetting 4U isn't on the Wii U.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nux said:

@corevi: I keep forgetting 4U isn't on the Wii U.

I don't understand why though. The wii U seems a way better place to play these games

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ripelivejam

@toxicfruit: short answer is they sell like crazy on portable systems, so no reason to do the work on hi-res assets (paraphrasing another duder's response to same question here). I also feel it works better as a portable game in a way.

Curious, how much soloing would i need to do to be able to hold my own in an online hunt? I'm guessing people would have to play specific roles too (or at least have some distance fighters along with close melee. Im supposing there isnt really equivalents to tank/healer/DPS here).

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks again for the tips guys, I'v been having a blast with 3 !

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toxicfruit: Glad to hear it! I hope you get the support you need to get through the oddities of MH. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask/use wikis/watch YouTube tutorials!

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Only at Giant Bomb can this get a thoughtful discourse with reasoned assessment, and not one jackhole saying "Where should I start? DON'T" Have fun with it duder I cannot join you on this quest.

Good show GB. Keep it classy.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Watching the MHU4 quick look reminded me I own MHU3 on 3ds and to probably give it another go. Played way too many hours of it over the weekend and I gotta say the games great and I'd recommend grabbing the Wii U version, your experience will be so much better. What others are saying are true and that the game does little in explaining the game to you. Just google "Monster Hunter (version) beginners guide" for some tips to start off.

Probably the one tip I can say when starting off is figure out which weapon you enjoy the best and stick with it.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to hijack this thread (I'll make my own if necessary) but do any duders know if its better to start with Monster Hunter 3 U on WiiU or MH4U on 3DS. I have both a wii u and 3ds, I think I'd like the good graphics of a WiiU version but is the newest one better? That's all, thanks.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@counterclockwork87: I've gotta' say I was pretty put off by the demo for 4U on my regular 3DS xl. It really feels like a game that needs the second stick on the New 3DS. The touchpad controls made the game feel really clunky. Admittedly, I didn't remember to use the lock-on camera, so it's possible that actually solves a lot of those problems. I'd say to try the 4U demo on 3DS, and if you aren't into that get 3U for the Wii U. My current plan is to get 3U and buy 4U when I get a New 3DS.

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i never played one before MH3U on the 3DS and fell in love its a great game if your willing to take the time to look online for a bit of help once in a while and see how things work. Next thing you know i sunk 20 hours into it, and MH4U came out so i just switched over. I would suggest (if you have a 3DS) get the new one MH4U.

Its portable, new mechanics make it great, and there is added online multiplayer which is great so far. Im only 4 hours in the new one and its still trying to show me tutorials. I find this one very welcoming to new players

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@counterclockwork87: Just note with the MH4U on 3ds you won't have access to analog control for the camera without the new 3DS c-stick or a circle pad pro. I've heard it's still playable without I have a circle pad pro so I've never had to deal with it with MHU3.

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Luca717

@counterclockwork87: read what i just left for the poster, but i would suggest go for the MH4U if you have a 3DS already, its great. The camera isn't an issue and you barely need to use the touch screen unless you set yours up that way. The lock on camera is perfect for what you need it for and the left bumper straightens out your view at all times. you get used to it so fast

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luca717: Hmm. I'll have to try this out. I wasn't really aware that L was kind of like Z-Targeting, and it definitely sounds like I should give the lock-on camera another pass. Back to the demo I go!

Luca717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono: when you are fighting a main monster at the bottom screen there should be a logo of that monster (i think it will be there automatically on the demo) just tap that and then its dedicated to the main monster, the great jaggi or whatever, so whatever direction your in just hit LB and your pointed in the direction of the monster. Two taps fast turns around to your back iirc

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luca717: Wow, yeah, that actually sounds like more than enough. Fuck a New 3DS then, I'll just play on my normal one.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ripelivejam: Ideally you should play online and offline in combination. The multiplayer quest are separate from the singleplayer ones, so you will do similar but slightly harder things. So there's no harm in jumping in every now and then. Online wise, there aren't really specific roles. You can generally use whatever as long as you know what you're doing and aren't in each others way. At high level I'm sure there are specific things team comps and all that but casually no ones going to ask you to switch up your weapons(unless you're are obviously under-geared).

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotta' come back to this thread and say: I was dead wrong earlier. The game plays totally fine when you use the lock-on targeting system properly. Just picked it up and have been having a blast after playing the demo about ten times.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.