Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter

Franchise »

One of Capcom's flagship franchises, Monster Hunter is a wildly successful action RPG franchise where the player hunts giant monsters of a variety of types across different zones and with a wide range of weaponry.

What Monster Hunter game should I start with?

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I have long been interested in this franchise. I know it lacks popularity in the western culture and it doesn't sound like anything I too would be interested in, but it's popularity and consistency in Japan has forever fascinated me. I want to give this franchise a try, since I haven't truly ever played one. That I can remember, that is. So which one should I try?

derskusmacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By derskusmacher

Definitely start off with Tri for the Wii. It's by far the most accessible, or at least as accessible as these games can be without just jumping in headfirst. The difficulty curve is pretty good for a MH game, but the pacing is SLOW in the beginning.

If you could stand playing a game in Japanese I would look into starting with MHP3rd for the PSP or PS3. The pacing is overall much better and the difficulty curve is even better than Tri. There is a translation patch for the PSP but that involves hacking your PSP.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Contrarian

@derskusmacher said:

Definitely start off with Tri for the Wii. It's by far the most accessible, or at least as accessible as these games can be without just jumping in headfirst. The difficulty curve is pretty good for a MH game, but the pacing is SLOW in the beginning.

If you could stand playing a game in Japanese I would look into starting with MHP3rd for the PSP or PS3. The pacing is overall much better and the difficulty curve is even better than Tri. There is a translation patch for the PSP but that involves hacking your PSP.

As someone who started with Tri as my first Monster Hunter game and then spent somewhere near 100 hours on it, without completeing it (I must complete it), then I agree with this. Then I moved onto the PSP games. They are awesome and I can't wait for Monster Hunter 4 on the 3DS, plus a good port of Tri on the 3DS as well.

indiefinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By indiefinch

If you have a Wii, Tri is your best bet as others have said. The biggest thing though is make sure you get a Classic Controller Pro for the Wii to play it. It is by far the best experience to play the game. If you don't have a Wii, pick up Monster Hunter Freedom Unite on the PSP or PSVita, it is probably the Monster Hunter game with the most content.

If you do pick one up, there is no shame in looking online on where to find certain materials to make weapons / armor. Over time you will learn where everything is located and it is no big deal, but at first it can be a bit daunting.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By killroycantkill

Tri for the Wii. Also USE A CLASSIC CONTROLER! Don't even bother going back to the old PS2 ones. If you must get a PSP version just go for Unite.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

Learn Japanese and play Portable 3rd HD.

Gashlycrumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Gashlycrumb

hmm, what to do!  i'd like to check this series out as well, but not sure where to jump on.   i have neither a Wii or a PSP...i do have a 3DS though.  so maybe i should just cross my fingers for it to appear in the States this year sometime? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.