Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

any australians manage too smuggle one in?

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spyder335

i really want thid game and seeing as the fine government of australia have banned it even for import i was wondering if any australians here have managed to get a copy?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By McGhee
    @spyder335 said:
    " i really want thid game and seeing as the fine government of australia have banned it even for import i was wondering if any australians here have managed to get a copy? "
    Are you a cop? You have to tell me if I ask.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bestostero

I heard a lot of people successfully got their copies...good for them lol

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spyder335

theres a guy from the netherlands on ebay offering to send it just as the cd with a diffrent sticker on it, but the fines are up to 110000 so im not sure if i want to risk it.
    there really pushing to get the r18+ classification for games in i heard it was going to be through hopefully july so i might wait and see.

MK vs DC any good i might pick it up just to quench my blood thirst for a while

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64
    EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By EnchantedEcho
    @spyder335:  Those huge fines are for shops that have imported more than 20 copies of the game, not for a single person who is importing one copy of the game, this seems to be a big misunderstanding with this issue. I ordered mine from PlayAsia a few days ago, Fedex thinks that I will receive my copy by 5PM today (2 hours 40 minutes from now), if I receive it I will post back here.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

Serious question, is it that serious of a crime if you import it or "smuggle" it in?

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By demontium
    @xhavoc86 said:
    " I heard a lot of people successfully got their copies...good for them lol "
    I mailed one to my cousin in an old xbox game case :P
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@spyder335: Oh and, silly rabbit, violent video games are for non-Australians :D 

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

" @spyder335 said:

" i really want thid game and seeing as the fine government of australia have banned it even for import i was wondering if any australians here have managed to get a copy? "
    Are you a cop? You have to tell me if I ask. "

You have to tell me if you are would have worked better, still, lulz. 

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Rayfield

@KaosAngel said:

"Serious question, is it that serious of a crime if you import it or "smuggle" it in? "

Check it.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Rayfield: Australia is the most hilarious country I have ever read about.  

Could you imagine what Whiskey Media would be like if it was located in Australia?  

$110,000 for a god damn Blu-Ray Disc.  Wonderful.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rayfield
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
    @KaosAngel:
    I don't think Jeff could live in a country that bans Mortal Kombat.
    samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By samfo

well if SA allows 18+ games and you can get it legally in SA then surely being a victorian i can get it mailed from there?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By dagas

I heard you could smuggle them in to the country in the pocket of a kangaroo.

Soap_of_Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Soap_of_Death

I got my copy yesterday. Reading through numerous Australian gaming forums I haven't yet seen anyone have their copy seized. I've even seen a youtube video of a guy in WA, show himself opening his Fedex package, it was clearly labelled with 'Mortal Kombat' on the outside. Hell, I've even seen photo proof of Aussies successfully getting the Kollectors Edition through customs. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to get caught, I haven't heard of many people getting caught importing banned games or uncut versions (ie. GTA4 & L4D2.) Customs have more important things to keep an eye on than a video game.

captainslender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By captainslender

Got my copy this afternoon, friends who preordered through various import locales have also received theirs within the past couple of days.

Although, online is a slight issue. The online pass is unable to be redeemed on an Australian account, but it appears redeeming it on a US account on the same console will suffice, as like XBLA games, it works for all users on the console it was first downloaded on. That said, with the hour I spent with this game this afternoon, I could get into lobbies but couldn't get a game to work. First, servers appeared to be down, then games would drop on the character select screen or shortly after.

Doubt it's an issue with Australian access, but not 100% on it.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EnchantedEcho
    @KaosAngel:
    Taken from 
    http://preparationsforbirth.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/why-im-prepared-to-go-to-jail-for-a-video-game/
     "On top of that, the customs officer interviewed said that anyone importing the game could incure a fine of up to…wait for it…$110,000. Yes you read that right. That’s ONE HUNDRED AND TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Firstly, the customs officer fails to mention that a sizeable fine like that only applies to people importing twenty-five copies or more for the purpose of commercial distribution."

-Not a single blu-ray disk, 25 or more result in the fine. Because if you are importing 25 copies of Mortal Kombat, you are obviously planning to resell them in Australia. I'm not trying to defend the Australian Classification Board's decision to ban the game at all, just since that gamespot story everyone thinks that if you get caught trying to import a single copy of Mortal Kombat you will get fined $110,000. This is wrong, if it is your first offense you would receive a warning from customs.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MisterChief

I hid a copy in my rectum.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EnchantedEcho
    @captainslender:  How did you get a US account on a Australian 360?
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By rjayb89

I feel for my Australian gamers.

captainslender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By captainslender
    @EnchantedEcho:

Create a US-based Hotmail account, sign up for an XBL account with it, it should auto select you for the United States. Bingo. I've used mine to get Rock Band DLC when it first came out and lately RBN DLC. Just make sure you access it from time to time, if you leave it for too long you a) might forget the password and lose access to the stuff you bought later down the track, b) Hotmail might suspend your account for inactivity.
    Kalisynth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kalisynth

i got my copy a couple of days ago(the Kollector's edition), I haven't been able to go online with it yet(stupid PSN)

but I just bought mine through Amazon and told em to send it as a gift(that way they can just put "Video Game" on the package slip) as a precaution, but I probably didn't need to go that far.

Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hzaife

Ive seen multiple people receive theirs, not the first banned game ive imported

the_ghost_baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By the_ghost_baby

Got mine today from a friend who just came back from Singapore. It is a NTSC-J version and like others have said works fine except online with the online pass code included in the box not working. Will try the us account thing and see how it goes.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By MEATBALL
    @the_ghost_baby said:
    " Got mine today from a friend who just came back from Singapore. It is a NTSC-J version and like others have said works fine except online with the online pass code included in the box not working. Will try the us account thing and see how it goes. "
    If it's an NTSC-J copy you'll probably need to create a Japanese account, same process, just make a Japanese-based hotmail account instead of a US-based one.
    the_ghost_baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By the_ghost_baby

Apologies it is actually a normal US NTSC. I created a US account and downloaded the pass and it works fine. Played a match with no issues other than the expected lag when versusing US players.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zero_

I'm thinking of ordering mine from an online store - but how's the online work for the PS3 version (... when PSN is up again?). If I get the US version, I'll need a US PSN account wouldn't I? What if I just order a UK version? Aren't our PSN's the same so I won't need a new account?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DeF
    @Zero_ said:
    " I'm thinking of ordering mine from an online store - but how's the online work for the PS3 version (... when PSN is up again?). If I get the US version, I'll need a US PSN account wouldn't I? What if I just order a UK version? Aren't our PSN's the same so I won't need a new account? "
    UK PSN bills you on GBP, AU PSN bills you in AUD so that's one major difference.

setting up a new PSN account takes 5 minutes and you can forget about it after. download your thing from the new account, install, then play on your regular account and don't ever think of the new account unless you want to re-download the online pass thing.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Contro
    @spyder335: 

The flaming mongrels at customs aren't letting shit through...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.