Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Johnny Cage Must Die

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Dreamfall31

I'm new to fighting games completley.  Super Smash Bros is the only fighting game I've played, and even that isn't a traditional fighting game. I decided to download the demo after thinking how cool it looked during the Quick Look.  My brother plays with me too and he is also new.   

My main frustration is that he is CONSTANTLY kicking my ass as Johnny Cage.  I've memorized some of the combo moves and the specials of Scorpion and Mileena.  He always just button mashes and does the cheap foward kick over and over and that quick button mash punch he has.  Whereas I try to do combos and use special moves.   Again I am very new to fighting games and I just can't figure how to stop losing so much.  I am blocking, maybe just at the wrong times or not enough.  I practice with the expert bots in the arcade mode with no problem but it obviously doesnt compare to human players.  9 times out of 10 my brother kicks my ass and it is almost making me want to forget getting MK and fighting games all together.

Could you guys give some tips to a fighting newcomer?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @FoxMulder said:
    " I'm new to fighting games completley.  Super Smash Bros is the only fighting game I've played, and even that isn't a traditional fighting game. I decided to download the demo after thinking how cool it looked during the Quick Look.  My brother plays with me too and he is also new.    My main frustration is that he is CONSTANTLY kicking my ass as Johnny Cage.  I've memorized some of the combo moves and the specials of Scorpion and Mileena.  He always just button mashes and does the cheap foward kick over and over and that quick button mash punch he has.  Whereas I try to do combos and use special moves.   Again I am very new to fighting games and I just can't figure how to stop losing so much.  I am blocking, maybe just at the wrong times or not enough.  I practice with the expert bots in the arcade mode with no problem but it obviously doesnt compare to human players.  9 times out of 10 my brother kicks my ass and it is almost making me want to forget getting MK and fighting games all together. Could you guys give some tips to a fighting newcomer? "
    You need to practice. No need to rage just because you lose. Fighting games are one of those games that are sometime hard to get into. You gotta expect to have your ass handed to you many times. 
    Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Helimocopter

yep, thats MK

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ChristianCastillo

Maybe fighting games aren't your thing? That's my case, I've played a number of fighting games in my life but have never been able to get good at any of them.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Punk1984
    @Helimocopter said:
    " yep, thats MK "
    What he said...On the bright side there is always Street Fighter which is a much better game
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem I've always had in fighting games when playing against a button masher, is that there's no rhyme or reason to their moves (besides finding one or two moves and spamming them now and then.) So I think that's your issue. What I would do is go into the match with a strategy. You know he's going to be spamming a couple of moves, then for the most part winging it and hoping something happens. Figure out which moves you need to shut down what he knows how to do, then find some moves that he won't be expecting or are very hard to deal with unless you know what you're doing.

But for the most part, believe in yourself and keep at it. At some point you're going to learn how to completely shut down his randomness and/or spamming, and he'll be forced to start learning more to match you. That is, if the game's balanced, which it looks like MK9 is.

Not a fighting expert by any means, but I hope that helps.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Dreamfall31

Thanks for the good words.  I find he ALWAYS jumps so I use Scorpion and his midair grapple. That and I just practice alot with the expert arcade mode and time stuff better!  Looks like I will be getting MK after all!!! :)

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By mazik765
    @Punk1984 said:
    " @Helimocopter said:
    " yep, thats MK "
    What he said...On the bright side there is always Street Fighter which is a much better game "
    Last time I checked you can't be treated by the fracturing of your opponents ribs in Street Fighter, so your point is invalid :)
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By damswedon

My brother is a big masher and the way I get around that is play the projectile game.

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AyKay_47

I thought this was gonna be a discussion of MK lore :/ 

My advice is forget about Mileena, and try out Sub-Zero. From what I understand of your brother's strategy, you can counter it pretty easily with lots of ice clones, and by keeping your distance and spamming ice balls. You can also cover a lot more ground with the slide than he can with the kick. 

If you want to keep playing as Scorpion though, use teleports. Throws/grapples require face to face, and thats where Johnny can fuck you up. Also, GET OVER HERE is always effective.  

If nothing works out, keep in mind the demo is pretty unbalanced, and the full game is supposed to be quite the opposite.

Oh, and MK > SF. Yeah, I said it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

Oh man, is GB going to turn into a million angry people arguing over how MK is better than SF? but 3 years ago nobody gave a fuck about MK and now all of a sudden....

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Rockdalf
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    " Oh man, is GB going to turn into a million angry people arguing over how MK is better than SF? but 3 years ago nobody gave a fuck about MK and now all of a sudden.... "
    I would argue it was even laughed at.  I'm not a big MK fighter anymore since I stopped playing it on SNES. 

It doesn't matter because MvC3 > MK.  :D
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf

Keep looking Mulder; don't lose faith.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Slaker117

Man, I really hope this game gets balanced properly.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By MistaSparkle

Play a round as sub zero and keep freezing him over and over.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By EnchantedEcho

Learn to block, if you can block his shadow kick a few times you should be able to punish him with a few moves.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.