Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Napoleon: Total War

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

Napoleon: Total War follows Napoleon from the early Italian campaign, to the Battle of Waterloo, and beyond.

A Beautiful Iteration

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Johnny5

So I've spent a bit of time playing the Napoleon... I think how I feel about it can be best described by saying that It is Windows 7 and Empire is Vista. There is such a myriad of small changes, they add up to a much nicer experience. On top of this, I don't know if its just me, but the game just runs incredibly smoothly. Battle AI finally seem to use a good level of common sense now too! (finally >_>) Anyway, lots of changes like:

• New user interface which so far feels pretty good.
    • Engine optimisation
    • Decent weather system
    • New system of attrition
    • New set of vocals for units (some nice pain ones)
    • Better visuals all round (fog, unit animation, terrain deformation slightly better, scenery)
    • More responsive unit control

However to get the unit control and AI to where its at now they have simplified it a bit, rank by fire is no longer feature a few other features. (I havent seen a loose/tight formation setting) 

P.s Maybe I could do some work on the wiki, it's awfully sparse at the moment.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Johnny5:
    Yeah, the game runs really good. I do agree! I honestly have to say I havent played much of the previous games. But I am enjoying Napoleon very much. Graphically I think the fog looks awesome. When you line up a couple of squads ordering them to fire at will, that fog from the gunfire just sets a great mood.

Also the ships and the destruction animations during sea battles is also very impressive. The game is just full of great visuals to give you the ultimate feel of a battle and how it would have looked like during the time of Napoleons campaign. Also gameplay-wise the tactics are working well together. When you have accomplished a dearing attempt to defete the enemy, the reward is a feeling that you really master the game and the tactics. Overall great game!

Btw, am I the only one who think the sea battles is really hard? Im playing on hard difficulty...

Edit: Oh yes! Some more info 'bout the game on the Wiki would be great! Cause as it stands now, its way to little there now... If I ever get around to it I'll try to add something myself.
    Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Johnny5

Oh man I totally forgot about sea battles (when I run a country, im not very seafaring!). Is it just me or do they let you zoom closer in on the ships now? I dont know but they just look way nicer? 

Oh and there are already a few mods that fix things that arent great. Like, theres a musket sound mod, that changes it from *poof!* to *crack!* sort of sounds, smoke mod will probably come soon too (it fades way too fast).

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By spaceturtle

Like I said I'm not very familiar with the Total War series. I almost didn't play any of the previous games at all. But from being mostly familiar with Napoleon and having played sea battles quite a few times now (cause its so damn hard and I never give up) I definitely agree. When zooming in on a ship it looks really good! Generally the zoom in the game is pretty awesome.

There are mods already? I hadn't even thought of modifying the game yet. I think it is great the way it is originally. But yeah, the smoke from the gunfire fades away too fast. Also, I'm not quite sure, but I cant seem to remember there being too much smoke appearing during sea battles. I know its only natural that the smoke fades away faster on sea than on land. But still, it would be awesome with a more visible smoke layer during the sea battles when ships are firing like crazy. Anywayz, I will definitely check out some mods. Perhaps I'll find something that suits me.

Ultimadark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Ultimadark

I agree, the UI has been changed to the better, and lots and lots of small good changes overall to the game. It still doesn't seem like as full of a game as Empire though, which I guess is intended since Napoleon is cheaper on Steam than Empire even though it's older. The tech tree seems kind of limited in this version, though I haven't played more than a few hours of the first campaign yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.