Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Naughty Bear

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Naughty Bear is a third-person action game about a psychotic teddy bear that preys on the innocent inhabitants of an island because he was not invited to a birthday party.

Naughty Bear Review

Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By Berezov

You may have heard of Naughty Bear, you know, the game that had about 5 trailers a day released for it? Turns out, there was a reason why this game showed no gameplay footage in those trailers, I’ll give you a hint: It’s not very good. The game follows Naughty, a bear who wasn’t invited to a party, oh no! This results in Naughty getting up to some particularly nasty things on the Island of Perfection which apparently spans the length of my garden tenfold. While the game seems to have these great ideas which were evident in the trailers, it’s certainly hamstrung by clunky gameplay mechanics which are simply not acceptable by 2010’s standards.

The game is set out in traditional score based levels, giving rewards for the amount of Naughty points obtained. By the second or third level you will have seen everything the game has to offer aside from some humorous character models, don’t expect a lengthy game either, the five main chapters could be done well under 4 hours and the additional challenges will add a bit extra to the value, these are still recycling the same levels you’ll see throughout with the same recycled sounds, it’s gets a bit dull. The general mission structure usually involves reaching a certain amount of points before you can move to the next section, get to the last section, kill X or destroy Y, it gets old fast.

Unfortunately Naughty Bear isn’t a good looking game either, the cutesy visuals are flat from a technical standpoint, artistically though I do appreciate the small touches like the kill animations and the menus, still though, after seeing the death animations once, that’s it, you’ve seen them, objects have standard breaking animations, I’m speaking PS2-era animations here, weapon combos are standard 3-hit melees combos which never switch up, it’s just a bad looking game. There is nothing particularly outstanding from a presentation standpoint and it’s incredibly disappointing to see that this level of quality is still present on a retail disc of 2010; this barely qualifies for an XBLA title.

Naughty Bear is an unfortunate game that benefits no one, the end user receives a shallow experience, one that doesn’t have enough variety to justify a purchase, it has no redeeming qualities and the developers have a tarnished reputation, after all, these are the guys are the guys that made Wet, a game I thought was not that bad. Do yourself a favour, don’t spend your money or time on Naughty Bear. 

1/5
    Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Berezov

You may have heard of Naughty Bear, you know, the game that had about 5 trailers a day released for it? Turns out, there was a reason why this game showed no gameplay footage in those trailers, I’ll give you a hint: It’s not very good. The game follows Naughty, a bear who wasn’t invited to a party, oh no! This results in Naughty getting up to some particularly nasty things on the Island of Perfection which apparently spans the length of my garden tenfold. While the game seems to have these great ideas which were evident in the trailers, it’s certainly hamstrung by clunky gameplay mechanics which are simply not acceptable by 2010’s standards.

The game is set out in traditional score based levels, giving rewards for the amount of Naughty points obtained. By the second or third level you will have seen everything the game has to offer aside from some humorous character models, don’t expect a lengthy game either, the five main chapters could be done well under 4 hours and the additional challenges will add a bit extra to the value, these are still recycling the same levels you’ll see throughout with the same recycled sounds, it’s gets a bit dull. The general mission structure usually involves reaching a certain amount of points before you can move to the next section, get to the last section, kill X or destroy Y, it gets old fast.

Unfortunately Naughty Bear isn’t a good looking game either, the cutesy visuals are flat from a technical standpoint, artistically though I do appreciate the small touches like the kill animations and the menus, still though, after seeing the death animations once, that’s it, you’ve seen them, objects have standard breaking animations, I’m speaking PS2-era animations here, weapon combos are standard 3-hit melees combos which never switch up, it’s just a bad looking game. There is nothing particularly outstanding from a presentation standpoint and it’s incredibly disappointing to see that this level of quality is still present on a retail disc of 2010; this barely qualifies for an XBLA title.

Naughty Bear is an unfortunate game that benefits no one, the end user receives a shallow experience, one that doesn’t have enough variety to justify a purchase, it has no redeeming qualities and the developers have a tarnished reputation, after all, these are the guys are the guys that made Wet, a game I thought was not that bad. Do yourself a favour, don’t spend your money or time on Naughty Bear. 

1/5
    Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Berezov

I couldn't see a review tab on the Naughty Bear page so I hope you don't mind me posting it here!

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Interfect

Good review. It's a real shame this game seems to be bad.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By RVonE

Good to hear my first impressions seem justified.

Killa_Jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Killa_Jo

theres 7 chapters not 5 and its not only because you weren't invited to a birthday party. Each chapter explains what you're getting revenge for. I personally love the game. Aside from a few freezing moments its a fun time. I dont know why its getting such bad reviews. I would say 3/5 or 6/10

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By turboman

this game seems like the perfect game for me.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By CoolDrMoney
    @Berezov:   @Killa_Jo: 

Sorry guys, but both of your reviews should be ignored. As bear avatar users, it's obvious that Naughty Bear has sparked an image crisis that some praise while others scathe. There is far too much bias involved for us to fairly review the title.
    Killa_Jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Killa_Jo
    @CoolDrMoney: 

.....mine wasnt a review, it was haggling his and my "bear" avatar is from /b/, its pedo bear and its mocking one of the TF2 pics of the spy where it says gentlemen
    habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By habster3
    @TurboMan:
    No, it's not; it's one of the top 10 worst reviewed games for the PS3 and among the 50 worst for the 360.
    Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Berezov

Looking at it now makes me think I should have wrote a bit more, bloody hell that's sparse.

tayruh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By tayruh
    @habster3 said:
    " @TurboMan: No, it's not; it's one of the top 10 worst reviewed games for the PS3 and among the 50 worst for the 360. "
    Do you always let reviewers tell you what to buy? Personally, I like to think for myself. If Turboman can read a review that rates the game extremely low and ignore the personal opinions of the reviewer enough to glean the image of something that he may be interested in buying, then he's clearly competent enough to buy whatever he feels like. I'm sure you guys don't run out and buy any game that's rated 10 out of 10. I'm sure there are some games that no matter the score, you won't buy because you can tell even through the reviewer's praising that the game is not meant for you. The same is true with poor reviews. Reviews are just opinions and if you let other people tell you what to buy then you are just a sheep.

Of course, I'm not saying you should run out and buy this either. *I* happen to like this game, but that doesn't mean jack. When you research games (or anything really), don't just look at reviews, also look at tons of real gameplay footage (like gamer walkthroughs on youtube, not the developers playing through a carefully controlled demo environment) and rent it if you can.
    habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By habster3
    @tayruh:
    You do have a good point, I guess. It's just that it got such abysmal reviews that I figured everyone would hate it; I guess not.
    tayruh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By tayruh
    @habster3:  
    Yeah. I actually find the game to be really fun. It's also one of those games where my roommates will stop by on the way through my apartment and sit and watch me play because they think it's so funny. But I suppose if you don't find the game funny then it might not be as enjoyable. The reviewers are right about the game being repetitive, but since it's a game based around getting the highest score, I really don't know why they were expecting something different going into it.

Also, after having re-read my comment it sounds like I was being a bit harsh Sorry about that. I didn't mean to come off as an asshole if I did.
    habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By habster3
    @tayruh:
    Don't worry; you didn't.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By cstrang

Thanks for the warning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.