Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA 2K

Franchise »

NBA 2K is an annual basketball game that began in 1999 and is currently multi-platform.

NBA and Take 2 partnering to create an esports league based off of NBA2k

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I watch sports and I watch esports, I have no interest in esports based on sports games

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm super behind this, and I don't even watch "real" Basketball. I love this idea of esports becoming a legitimate thing as all is does is open more avenues for competition in more than just the physical space.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By xanadu

E-Bucks. There's going to be a team called E-Bucks. How can this not fail?

Edit: Also just realized he said you could be female if you wanted to be. That's real interesting because I'm pretty sure thats never been a thing in 2k before.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

football teams are testing this idea with Fifa. Some clubs have signed some esports guys.

That said, i don't know how furtile the NBA esport scene is. Esports needs to happen from the bottom, not from the top.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How will drake get into this?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So would they outlaw all the exploits and glitches? I never got into online 2k but always seem like there is some new broken exploit each year. Or would they actually spend time making the gameplay better instead ober producing the my player stuff?

Anyway, e sports aint my thing beyond a few fighting game matches here and there.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Nodima

I'm an avid 2K player that watches 2KTV for the interviews and spurts of VC to spend on MyTeam packs; they spend a LOT of time covering "Top Plays" from their Pro Am stuff and team strategies and team win-loss records.

I'm worried that this is going to blow up in their face because it always looks like garbage, cheesy basketball to me when they show clips of it but maybe the NBA's backing will allow them to finally get their servers in order and cut the latency down from the half or full second that it is now to a reasonable, fighting or shooting game like standard. It was never all that bad on the PS3 and pretty par with offline on PS2, but whether it's the graphics or just dated netcode the latency online is pretty awful on PS4.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@xanadu said:

E-Bucks. There's going to be a team called E-Bucks. How can this not fail?

Edit: Also just realized he said you could be female if you wanted to be. That's real interesting because I'm pretty sure thats never been a thing in 2k before.

Wonder if this signals WNBA teams/licenses in 2k17.

football teams are testing this idea with Fifa. Some clubs have signed some esports guys.

That said, i don't know how furtile the NBA esport scene is. Esports needs to happen from the bottom, not from the top.

That last sentence is how I feel about it. I can't remember a game that started to promote as an esport and made it that big, only failures (Evolve comes to mind). The most popular esports- LoL, Dota, sc, CS, etc.- have all started bottom up basically, and there isn't widespread interest in nba 2K esports.

I'm super behind this, and I don't even watch "real" Basketball. I love this idea of esports becoming a legitimate thing as all is does is open more avenues for competition in more than just the physical space.

imo the way that happens is not "real sports as esports" but current esports getting more exposure- and I think that's steadily been happening. As the article mentions, not just NBA celebs but also the 76ers ownership themselves have already invested into esports. IMO it would be better for "esports" as a whole if the NBA co-partnered with like, DOTA or something to sponsor/partner/help broadcast existing popular esports. Like if you get extended access or higher quality streams through NBA League pass or something.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

This seems potentially cool! Could also be the worst thing to ever happen, but let's hope it works out. I've played a lot of 5v5 "team up" matches, and they're always fun to play, yet inevitably chaotic. If teams are able to put together actual high level play and team work resembling an actual NBA game, then that sounds like something I'd be interested to watch.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Only @ThaHoopGawd can save us now!

I seriously don't think e-sports based on actual sports will take off, but what do I know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.