Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA 2K14

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 01, 2013

The fifteenth installment of 2K Sports' basketball sim arrives just in time for the 2013-14 NBA season.

2K slowly gives skill points because they want real money?

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Deathstriker

I'm having fun with their created player campaign, but the way they give skill points is awful. Rather than awarding you XP for your gameplay actions like an RPG, they give you 100 to 400 points per game depending on if you make your assignments, do well, and win the game. The problem is that you need around 65k to 75k points in total to create a top-tier guy. No worries though... you can spend $20 (in real money) to get like 40k, 50k skill points.

Unless there's a MUCH faster way to get skill points and I'm missing it this almost feels like a scam. I'm not used to 2K, but this feels like something EA would do. Anyone else feel similar or is there a faster way to get points and I'm missing it? When I looked online I really just PC hacks (I'm playing on console) and simulating games through the GM mode, which wasn't that much more.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Playing other game modes gives you more. You can also earn daily bonuses using their mobile app.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The VC requirements to max out a character are pretty high, but I consistently get 1k-1.5k VC per game on SuperStar difficulty. Considering that you have to play all 82 games during the regular season, it's pretty easy to make a top-10 player at your position before you get to the playoffs of your rookie year.

MyTeam, on the other hand, is a different story because it is -really- hard to build a functional team without spending actual money (especially since everyone and their mother has a whole slew of top-tier players from historical packs now). To make matters worse, there's no guarantee that you'll get the playee that you want in a pack, so you can be stuck on a treadmill of mediocrity for quite some time. I can see a person grinding out VC in MyCareer/myGM, but if you're not going to spend a lot of time with the mode, there's no point in putting yourself through that sort of punishment.

Tl;dr: If you want a good myCareer player, play on the higher difficulties and increase the length of the quarters. The 80k VC for $20 can turn a scrub into an all-star immediately, but that defeats the purpose of the mode imo,so it should be reserved for the real VC sink known as MyTeam.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@sterling said:

Playing other game modes gives you more. You can also earn daily bonuses using their mobile app.

Ugh. That kind of implementation of apps is terrible. It makes me feel like a mouse pressing a button to get a food pellet.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@flappy said:

The VC requirements to max out a character are pretty high, but I consistently get 1k-1.5k VC per game on SuperStar difficulty. Considering that you have to play all 82 games during the regular season, it's pretty easy to make a top-10 player at your position before you get to the playoffs of your rookie year.

MyTeam, on the other hand, is a different story because it is -really- hard to build a functional team without spending actual money (especially since everyone and their mother has a whole slew of top-tier players from historical packs now). To make matters worse, there's no guarantee that you'll get the playee that you want in a pack, so you can be stuck on a treadmill of mediocrity for quite some time. I can see a person grinding out VC in MyCareer/myGM, but if you're not going to spend a lot of time with the mode, there's no point in putting yourself through that sort of punishment.

Tl;dr: If you want a good myCareer player, play on the higher difficulties and increase the length of the quarters. The 80k VC for $20 can turn a scrub into an all-star immediately, but that defeats the purpose of the mode imo,so it should be reserved for the real VC sink known as MyTeam.

Thanks for the tips. I just tried it on hall of fame and only got 800 points though; with 25 points, B+, several rebounds, assists, and blocks. I would think its multiplier would the highest. Maybe I should've made a PG instead of SF, since there are times when I'm open and they don't pass the ball. Plus the Hawks don't have great defense so winning with them can sometimes be tough. I like the mode but it seems like stuff either cost too much or points are too slow. I get the same feeling I do with Mass Effect 3's multiplayer and that silly lottery system because EA wanted real money.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.