Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

This game looks slow.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

When I first heard that Criterion would get the chance to breathe life back into the Need for Speed franchise I was very excited. As a huge fan of the past three Burnouts I thought nothing could go wrong if that type of gameplay was applied to the real cars from the Need for Speed series. Seeing gameplay footage has brought down my hopes. This doesn't look like Burnout it just looks like Need for Speed. What is the point of Criterion making this game if they are not playing to their strengths?

Noremakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Noremakk

Like you said, it's doesn't look like Burnout, it looks like Need For Speed. They're different games with different approaches, and they appeal to different people.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

Watching it on YouTube does look slow, play and see how it looks and feelss very different to the passive YouTube experience.

I've just played 2.5hrs almost non stop (a man has to pee you know!) and have been really impressed. Had a few multiplayer races with my nepher, hope to online proper tomorrow, but going to bed right now.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FreakAche
    @TheKeyboardDemon said:
    " Watching it on YouTube does look slow, play and see how it looks and feelss very different to the passive YouTube experience.  I've just played 2.5hrs almost non stop (a man has to pee you know!) and have been really impressed. Had a few multiplayer races with my nepher, hope to online proper tomorrow, but going to bed right now. "
    Yeah, I made this thread a while ago. I've played the demo since then and was thoroughly impressed, I'll probably buy this game at some point, although probably not until the price goes down.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Diamond

It's because of how wide and open and straight many of the roads are.  The view distance is pretty crazy, and most racing games don't even come remotely close to doing that.

The action taking place around your car gets plenty fast.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Seppli
    @FreakAche said:
    " When I first heard that Criterion would get the chance to breathe life back into the Need for Speed franchise I was very excited. As a huge fan of the past three Burnouts I thought nothing could go wrong if that type of gameplay was applied to the real cars from the Need for Speed series. Seeing gameplay footage has brought down my hopes. This doesn't look like Burnout it just looks like Need for Speed. What is the point of Criterion making this game if they are not playing to their strengths? "
    The Exotic and Hyper Car Category is fast! Crazy fast. Add some Turbo to that and you'll brain will melt.
    Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @FreakAche said: Yeah, I made this thread a while ago. I've played the demo since then and was thoroughly impressed, I'll probably buy this game at some point, although probably not until the price goes down.

Only spotted that when I saw that it was posted 4 months ago after you pointed it out! I keep forgetting to check dates... Sry...
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar

Zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Enigma777

After playing the demo, I felt the same way. Also the handling is really... odd. The cars felt really unresponsive and bulky (for lack of a better word).

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Seppli
    @Enigma777 said:
    " After playing the demo, I felt the same way. Also the handling is really... odd. The cars felt really unresponsive and bulky (for lack of a better word). "
    It takes a little while to get the hang of it. Then, hands down, it turns into the arcade-style racing driving physics ever. You've never drifted better. It's the prefect balance between challenge and accessability and faux-realism.
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By falconer

Criterion doesn't even know how to pronounce the word "slow", nonetheless know what it means. You people are all effing crazy.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By super2j

I will admit burnout feels faster but when i did the previw events in the campaign with some of the super crazy cars. Things are woshing by crazy fast. There is a great sense of speed online when u drive properly and just zoom past all your competitors, even if ur car isnt the fastest.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vitor
    @Enigma777 said:
    " After playing the demo, I felt the same way. Also the handling is really... odd. The cars felt really unresponsive and bulky (for lack of a better word). "
    Took me a while to get used to also - it was way harder to dodge oncoming traffic than in burnout games and the cars definitely had more weight at first. 

Once you get used to anticipating turns a little more in advance though and unlock the faster cars, it's pretty awesome. The cop mode especially is the natural extension of Burnout 3's Takedown challenges and are a complete blast. The more you play, the more burnout-y it feels, bar the handling which is different but not bad by any means, just takes a while to get used to. 

It does help that I'm running the PC version which apparently was coded by God as it runs at a silky 60FPS most of the time on my modest rig while max'ed out - helps give it more of that burnout feel for sure.
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By phantomzxro

well to be fair the game is called need for speed so i would think their first job would to make it more closer to need for speed then anything else. I think you do see some burnout within this game but it should feel more like a need for speed game. If you want a burn out can you just have to wait for another one. Also i think the game is running 30fps  rather then 60fps like burnout.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.