Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NHL 09

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 10, 2008

NHL 09 adds major improvements to the franchise, such as the defense skill stick and the highly praised Be A Pro Mode, to make this sports game one of the best of 2008.

Why NHL 09's Online is Bad

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By AthleticShark

Cheap goals. People exploit them to no end. There is this one where they bank it in on the high slot on to very side of the left or right bar on the net. There is no way to stop it and it should not even be possible considering the goalie is right there making it impossible for someone to hit it up there right when they are against the fucking goalie.

Glitches. There are some minor glitches, but there is this one where they skate backwards and then they turn around and it goes in the net without doing anything. Horrid.

Illegal goals. In hockey, you cannot kick the goal in the net. If you kick the goal in the net it does not count. Well in the damn game the count it as a goal and its very frustrating when you are tied and then they win because of an illegal goal.

Bad match ups. So you can have guests play with you. Well I have no one so I am by myself and they match with with a guy with 3 other guests there to play for him. Sure I can backout, but I wanted a challenge. However, the whole time they would just gang up on me all at once and I can't do shit. So it is impossible to play 1v3 because humans are always better then AI and can commit better plays. The whole thing is though there are Single and Team play, yet Single play you can have local guests. It is cheap as fuck. They should have a mode where it is just your Be a Pro character against the other be a Pro character.

I mean, it just makes it un-fun just like in any other games. I wouldn't mind, but when the other guy is being an ass, knowing he is glitching and being cheap and making illegal goals, it just makes me want to say fuck it.

At least single play and online shootout is fun.

Oh and there are no Boarding calls...some BS

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AthleticShark

Cheap goals. People exploit them to no end. There is this one where they bank it in on the high slot on to very side of the left or right bar on the net. There is no way to stop it and it should not even be possible considering the goalie is right there making it impossible for someone to hit it up there right when they are against the fucking goalie.

Glitches. There are some minor glitches, but there is this one where they skate backwards and then they turn around and it goes in the net without doing anything. Horrid.

Illegal goals. In hockey, you cannot kick the goal in the net. If you kick the goal in the net it does not count. Well in the damn game the count it as a goal and its very frustrating when you are tied and then they win because of an illegal goal.

Bad match ups. So you can have guests play with you. Well I have no one so I am by myself and they match with with a guy with 3 other guests there to play for him. Sure I can backout, but I wanted a challenge. However, the whole time they would just gang up on me all at once and I can't do shit. So it is impossible to play 1v3 because humans are always better then AI and can commit better plays. The whole thing is though there are Single and Team play, yet Single play you can have local guests. It is cheap as fuck. They should have a mode where it is just your Be a Pro character against the other be a Pro character.

I mean, it just makes it un-fun just like in any other games. I wouldn't mind, but when the other guy is being an ass, knowing he is glitching and being cheap and making illegal goals, it just makes me want to say fuck it.

At least single play and online shootout is fun.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By eric_buck

Yeah! WHen I was playing (a real hockey match some guy kicked the puck in and the ref says it was OK because the guy said he kicked it in by accident so it doesn't count!?!? wtf???

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Thrawn1

i would say it's bad because it's an nhl game, but what do I know?

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Bass

tbh illegal goals isn't a big deal. You can't control feet in this game, so I don't understand why you think it's cheap for someone to crash the net and they get rewarded with a goal. Also, unless there is a distinct kicking motion, goals off the feet are a-okay in the NHL. I don't believe anyone can will their player to do a kicking motion (much less press a button to do so) so most of these goals probably aren't "illegal" anyways.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MisterSpiffy
    Eric_Buck said:
    "Yeah! WHen I was playing (a real hockey match some guy kicked the puck in and the ref says it was OK because the guy said he kicked it in by accident so it doesn't count!?!? wtf???"
    As Bass said, that's perfectly legal.

And I can just picture 3 guests teaming up on one guy, haha.

Edit: To clear things up, here's the official NHL rule.

Rule 70   Kicking the Puck
  • Kicking the puck shall be permitted in all zones. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who uses a distinct kicking motion to propel the puck into the net. A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks a puck that deflects into the net off any player, goalkeeper or Official.
  • A puck that deflects into the net off of an attacking player who does not use a distinct kicking motion, is a legitimate goal.

(NOTE) The following should clarify deflections following a kicked puck that enters the goal:

1. A kicked puck that deflects off the body of any player of either team (including the goalkeeper) shall be ruled NO GOAL.
    2. A kicked puck that deflects off ANY stick (excluding the goalkeeper's stick) shall be ruled a GOOD GOAL. After the puck has been kicked, makes contact with any stick and then deflects off any player (excluding the goalkeeper) and into the net will still be ruled a GOOD GOAL.
    3. The player who kicks the puck and has the puck deflect off his OWN stick and then into the net, this will be ruled a GOOD GOAL.
  • A goal cannot be scored by an attacking player who kicks any equipment (stick, glove, helmet, etc.) at the puck, causing the puck to cross the goal line.

• http://www.nhl.com/rules/rule70.html
    camwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By camwilson
    HellBound said:
    "
    "
    i got a boarding call the other day, when i injured someone in the corner.. lol. it was a 5 min major too.
    Oilerfan1661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Oilerfan1661

OK im new but not to the game like i mean i started playing when nhl 99 came out im only 16 but thats lots of games to play of one sport. I play the game in real life but as a goalie and i hate it when i see guys do that shit ass move to make the goalie stack the pads and then they just fucking rof it but really we dont go down like that like what the FUCK. I do have amit that backwards skating goal i do but only to tie the game when i have the chance. I know its still cheating and im sorry but now people are hating me cuz there was this one time i beat this guy in versus mode cuz thats all i play. I beat 11-0 and all my goals were wrap around goals i dont know how they go in but they did and i was woundering what the hell myself. But ya like right now my bro his playing online team play and he always complains about these boost or jucied guys like where all stats are 99. My bro knows how to do it but he doesnt do it. Well anyway thatnks for reading this and please if you want add me on xbox 360 live. Gamertag is (chewbaccapewbs) im always on when my bro goes to work which is like everyday but not all day he only works 5pm-9pm or 12pm-like 5pm or 8pm. And if you guys make a topic about what they should do for NHL 2010 then im the guy me and my bro should gets all you guys together and make they game our selfs. Instead of EA it should be the people and fans of the number one sport game of the past years. Well ill wait to get your replys. Thanks for reading.

GO OILERS

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By End_Boss
    Thrawn said:
    "i would say it's bad because it's an nhl game, but what do I know?"
    Yeah. What do you know?
    Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mercator

I have seen some crazy goals in this game, and some seriously weird glitches.

Overall this is an excellent game but I agree with all of the complaints above.

Here is a video I took where the puck got caught between the goalies skate and the goalpost, from there it rocketed to the boards...and to the other goal when Osgood came out to play it.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/612141

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PercyChuggs

Every online sports game, people find ways to exploit it. I remember when Xbox Live first came out, I played in this NHL 2K4 or 3 or, whatever it was. Anyways, I sucked, until I figured out the 2 ways to score goals. It's just the type of problem you have to accept when playing against real people.

Oilerfan1661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Oilerfan1661

I just want NHL 2010 to be way better and somehow bann players if they cheat or just take 1 or 2 years to make the EA nhl series way better who cares if they dont make nhl 2010 they can make 2012 if that means no more glitching and no more gay goals by gay fuckers that spend 24/7 on how to get glitch goals.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Monopolized

Heres and Idea if you see that they are boosting their stats or using glitches quit in the first 5 minutes and you don't lose the game (it's a feature put in to stop laggy  games from continuing)

Avatar image for aimingwandersly
    AimingWandersly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By AimingWandersly

my only problem with the online has little to do with glitches or bad goals. those happen with every iteration and cannot be helped.

what i'd really appreciate, is for some way to schedule league games. i hate being part of a team but never actually catching any of them online. it would be sweet to be able to organize actual leagues with games set in stone so that you play with as many of your team members that show up. that way you could draft people from your friends list if team members can't make it or don't show up, and then add them to the team if they survive the 'try-out'.

just ideas...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.