Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 17, 2011

A role-playing game developed by Level-5 and animated sequences produced by Studio Ghibli Inc.

Guess this game isn't for me.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

I've been fighting Shadar for the first time for a while now and just keep losing. I think I'm okay with moving on to another game. I should've realized sooner that this game would require grinding. I'm mostly tired of the awful AI that doesn't defend during powerful spell attacks. I think the story and world are both great but I don't want to grind. I've been struggling throughout the game by just beating the enemies and dungeons that I need to complete in order to beat the story. That's what I mostly wanted to play this game but I guess the combat was suppose to be a bigger focus. This isn't me calling Ni No Kuni bad or anything. Perhaps in another life would I have loved this game and spent all my time on it. I just can't do that anymore and after 10 hours of playing it, I don't think I want to keep playing even if I beat Shadar. I'm still constantly dying to regular enemies. Oh well, at least I gave this game a shot.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By drac96

@Phatmac: If this is the point where you're on the boat, then you're supposed to lose. You can hurt him enough for the fight to end though

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@Phatmac said:

I'm mostly tired of the awful AI that doesn't defend during powerful spell attacks.

To be fair, you get the ability to order your allies to defend literally right after the Shadar battle.

But yeah, it's still a very combat-heavy game.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By killacam

spoilers

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

Man I finally hit just before the boat and I had to force myself at 5am to quit playing. For god sake I have a Hog-Goblin named "Boss Hog" As far as Im concerned Video Games are over because nothing is going to top that. That isn't to say that I've had my frustrations with the game but man I think the level of charm this game exudes is enough to forgive the pitfalls like the horrible A.I. and other things. And I dunno the grinding isn't bothering me. When I know I need to grind I simply throw on a podcast and kick back while I train my familiar levels up. Im just dissapointed it seems for all the grandeur of his amazing name Boss Hog has proven to be mostly ineffectual in combat. :-(. But still....Boss Hog. Best name ever.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Phatmac

@drac96 said:

@Phatmac: If this is the point where you're on the boat, then you're supposed to lose. You can hurt him enough for the fight to end though

I'm on the boat and I don't think this is true unless I'm missing something.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

This is why I am going to play this game on Easy, if I get around to it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Phatmac

I also used gamefly to rent this game so I don't feel any buyers remorse. If I bought this game, than I wouldn't quit this early.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@Phatmac said:

@drac96 said:

I don't think you're supposed to lose exactly, but the fight does end automatically at a certain point.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Phatmac

@ArtisanBreads said:

yeah I should've played it on easy. I wonder if you can change it to easy.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Phatmac

Oh you can change it to easy. I'll report back and see if I can win.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By donchipotle

@Phatmac said:

@drac96 said:

You cannot win the fight. I don't know if it is one of those "do so much damage" or "survive for this long" but you cannot win. But also if you die it is game over so...good luck.

But since you have the boat there is a fairly easy grinding spot that you can get to. A certain enemy gives 2,000 EXP when you kill it. The downside is that it flees on the world map and in battle but if you spend enough time there you can boost levels quickly.

At least until you find the higher level variant that drops a cool 8,000 EXP (9,000 with the perk) later on.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By MetalBaofu

@Phatmac said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

yeah I should've played it on easy. I wonder if you can change it to easy.

You should be able too. I seem to remember it saying you can change the difficulty in the options or somewhere.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By drac96

@SpunkyHePanda said:

@Phatmac said:

@drac96 said:

I don't think you're supposed to lose exactly, but the fight does end automatically at a certain point.

Yeah, it must be time based or something. He was only around 50% hp for me and then he wiped out the party, but the game went on.

It may be possible that someone was left alive with a sliver of hp and I just didn't notice.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

God the "you are supposed to lose this fight" fights in JRPGs gotta be one of the worst parts.

@Phatmac said:

Oh you can change it to easy. I'll report back and see if I can win.

Good news. I think I read you take less damage in that so it's probably better. I just want to avoid a lot of grinding if I can. Game will already be long enough.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Phatmac

Easy is still kinda hard, but I beat this match. I'll keep playing. Thanks guys.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#17  Edited By beard_of_zeus

@ArtisanBreads said:

God the "you are supposed to lose this fight" fights in JRPGs gotta be one of the worst parts.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game, but you are totally right. I just got to the same boat fight last night. My "JRPG sense" actually kicked in as soon as Shadar appeared, guessing it was one of those fights, so I stopped trying and got a "Game Over". But as others have said, you actually have to put in some effort, which might even be slightly worse than fights you are supposed to straight up get knocked out.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@beard_of_zeus said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game, but you are totally right. I just got to the same boat fight last night. My "JRPG sense" actually kicked in as soon as Shadar appeared, guessing it was one of those fights, so I stopped trying and got a "Game Over". But as others have said, you actually have to put in some effort, which might even be slightly worse than fights you are supposed to straight up get knocked out.

Yeah you're right it totally is worse.

I was just watching the Persona 4 ER and it's funny when Jeff and Vinny throw "is this one of those JRPG fights?" out there at one point when they get worked over really quick.

Just have the player lose in a cutscene or something. It isn't really worth it.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#19  Edited By beard_of_zeus

@ArtisanBreads said:

@beard_of_zeus said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

Yeah you're right it totally is worse.

I was just watching the Persona 4 ER and it's funny when Jeff and Vinny throw "is this one of those JRPG fights?" out there at one point when they get worked over really quick.

Just have the player lose in a cutscene or something. It isn't really worth it.

Yeah, if you're gonna to transition to a battle for one of those, you have to make it super obvious, maybe to the point of just automatically playing things out for the player. I remember it happening in Final Fantasy IV a lot, and it working fine there because of that reason. There's dialogue happening, or you only have one battle option, things like that, although that might have just been a limitation of video games at the time, where in-battle "cutscenes" like that were a painless way to move the story along.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By lilbigsupermario

Switching it to Easy may get you back in the game and enjoy the story more. But I read somewhere that it's not a lot different than Normal, they say it's just like 20% easier I think. Then again, that may still help.

I'm loving the game so far, but I'm still at the start, just 6-7 hours in and just got Esther hehe!

iGooner7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iGooner7

Welcome to a REAL JRPG game mate ;)

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By Evilsbane

I mean the game doesn't fuck around but honestly.. I feel really good playing this game because I feel like the bounties and stuff should be harder and I am just cleaning them up, sure I wandered into an area that was to high level (Only because I kick the bounty targets ass that was blocking the way) and got wiped but its awesome it is very rewarding if you do it right and the grinding I have done has been minimal at best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.