i like the art a lot

katiedey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By katiedey

i guess i'm in the minority. anyway this is a fun and good video game. the music is fantastic too. i wish it were on the switch

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having a blast with it too. It's a fun couch game too.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The art is fantastic. The characters themselves are just ugly. I think I get what they were going for though.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

How is the game overall? I played the original mainly as a party game with friends, does this one fill that gap any better or should I wait for a discount on it? I too kind of don't mind the art, its stupid but in a way I can get behind.

Avatar image for paganbaconsmith
    PaganBaconsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far I've just played it in "arcade mode" and looked in the menus to get my bearings, but generally it seems to be just like Nidhogg, but with more options and content and the new artstyle.

The big thing is that there's multiple weapons in the game now, that players randomly spawn with. For people playing it seriously I could see this being annoying as you have no control over what you get (though you can select exactly what weapons are used in a match, so a non-issue), however for casually playing it as a party game I think it's a big plus! I think the artstyle also lends itself better for spectators as there's more spectacle, and the deaths are more comedic.

That said, I worry there might be a bit too much spectacle sometimes, at least, on the castle map I had a problem with being too distracted by the massive flames and drawbridge slamming down on-screen to fully pay attention to my opponent initially. Doesn't help that the opponent was orange and didn't stand out as clearly in the flames as you'd might want. That's a minor issue though, and nothing that would detract from having a lot of fun with it in a casual "party" situation.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those that have played it does the online multiplayer actually work this time? I had bought the first game but the netcode was so bad the game was completely unplayable. This is important because my only option to play this game would be online.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I guess someone has to.

I don't think it's that the art is necessarily bad, it just seems bad for this game that distinguished itself with a strong and simple aesthetic that complimented its gameplay. This wacky new direction is fine in its own right but it's like what if they took Gang Beasts and made it realistic with real humans wearing masks and whatnot. I found it weird that if all possible directions this is where they went with it.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've thought about it a bunch, and I think the thing that bothers me the most is that one of the defining aspects of the design in the first game was that the characters had a lot of dignity. They were like aristocrats taking up swords to duel over honor. They weren't ridiculous or even that silly, they were dignified stylish badasses.

In this new version, they've totally gone in the opposite direction. They're just freaks in a freak show, with absolutely style, dignity or coolness. I don't like it at all.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The characters are still ugly but the backgrounds are fucking gorgeous.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@gkhan said:

I've thought about it a bunch, and I think the thing that bothers me the most is that one of the defining aspects of the design in the first game was that the characters had a lot of dignity. They were like aristocrats taking up swords to duel over honor. They weren't ridiculous or even that silly, they were dignified stylish badasses.

In this new version, they've totally gone in the opposite direction. They're just freaks in a freak show, with absolutely style, dignity or coolness. I don't like it at all.

I agree with most of what you said but the new stuff is cool for what it is too. But to me it is so opposite. The style seems borne out of Genesis type gross out games (stuff like Splatterhouse, Boogerman, Toe Jam and Earl [particularly 2], Earth Worm Jim) and that's what it makes me think of.

Like with a lot of the game, I can see why people prefer the first one but I think the first one did everything it wanted and could do basically with that simple, pure design. If you love that it's always there for you.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Also of interest:

"What many people didn’t realize was that Nidhogg’s style actually grew out of practicality more than some daring vision," he said. "[For Nidhogg 2] I had been experimenting with 2D bone animation programs, which allow you to independently animate separate body parts instead of redrawing entire character sprites.

"This makes it infinitely easier to combine things like fencing footwork, various upper-body stances, and weapon types. It seemed silly to use all this potential on pixelated stick figures. So, instead of minimalism, why not try out some maximalism? Animated faces, sweet outfits and hairstyles, bustling environments – the doors had swung wide and Nidhogg 2’s visual style was born," he said.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nidhogg-2-creator-explains-radical-art-style-overhaul/

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem with Nidhogg 2 is that apart from the grotesque nature of the backgrounds and serpent itself (both of which I actually like), the characters are both ugly and generic. They have big white eyes, pudgy bodies and goofy expressions that combined with the crazy and surprisingly modern clothing as customization options just make it seem like every other indie game out there, but uglier. It's all very scattershot, and only really held together by the theme of "grotesque".

@gkhan said:

The game just loses something by not having the detailed, flesh coloured Nidhogg be a contrast to the minimalist, neon style of everything else. It was a nice burst of absurdity to end the match. The contrast isn't the same when everything else is grotesque. If like you said, the main characters were stylish, athletic aristocrats instead of drunken homer simpsons, I think it would be a hell of a lot funnier to see them fighting through these gross environments just to be eaten by a disgusting giant worm.

katiedey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my counterpoint to those who don't like the ugly characters: they're funny!! it is fun to look at them have swordfights

buttle826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I actually turned 180 degrees on the character design recently, and I don't know what triggered it. I used to think they were ugly, and now I'm kinda into it. Maybe I just had to get used to looking at it.

I still prefer the look of the first game, I think, but this is good too.

Geepatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By BoboBones

It feels bold, confident, colorful, gross, and whimsically dark. It's fresh in my book.

I hated it when I first saw it, but when I got my hands on it, I was 100% down with it.

Yeah, the music absolutely rules.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.