Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS Demos Are Now Live, But...

• 110 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-629f6167405d3
    deactivated-629f6167405d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@Brendan said:

@Large_Soda said:

@Brendan said:

@Detway81 said:

30 is plenty, but why have a restriction in the first place.

Yeah, I'm not mad at this news or anything, but pretty curious.

Sounds like they're starting it at 30 to test the waters........could get worse.

That's cynical.

I don't think so at all.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102  Edited By Detrian

Wow! That's about 29 times more than I'll ever play a demo! What a total non-issue!

D5tryr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103  Edited By D5tryr

Historically game demos have been developed with their replay-ability in mind. A developer had to make balanced decisions about what to include in a demo. They must ensure that it is thrilling enough to lure players in to making a purchase, but doesn't provide so much fun for the player that they are content to stick with the demo and not purchase anything at all.

Perhaps these factors influence up to the design of a complete game too.

By introducing an expiration mechanic Nintendo are removing the need for developers to make some of these decisions so perhaps this will lead to different types of demos, and that this will in turn trickle up to the design of the complete games also.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104  Edited By Teran

@D5tryr said:

By introducing an expiration mechanic Nintendo are removing the need for developers to make some of these decisions so perhaps this will lead to different types of demos, and that this will in turn trickle up to the design of the complete games also.

Your argument would make a lot more sense if the demo expired after 10 play sessions or another smaller than 30 number. As it stands, developers still need to make those decisions because the re-play count doesn't limit how far into the game a player can go. Those barriers need to be built in either way.

I suspect the reasoning has a lot more to do with nintendo than any developers or publishers.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#105  Edited By MeatSim

But I play all game demos exactly 31 times before I make a purchasing decision!

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By kurtbro900

Damn you Nintendo for not making this decision. Now I can't talk about how behind you are.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#107  Edited By nintendoeats

I might have played the JC2 demo like 10 times.

Revixe06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Revixe06

I hardly doubt that anybody will play a demo more than 30 times, but still, the concept is pretty ridiculous.

DS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By DS23

@kurtbro900 said:

Damn you Nintendo for not making this decision. Now I can't talk about how behind you are.

They put the option in there, no other console maker has done such a thing so far...

daedaluss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By daedaluss

No sane person would use all 30 uses (atleast for the RE:RE demo) but that raises the question of "then why limit it in the first place?"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.