Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

About the Battery.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Gonmog

Yes the battery sucks when you look at older Nintendo handhelds. That does suck.  
    But in the day and age when cell phones are the majority of peoples main handheld gaming system, and lets face it, playing any game on you cell phone kills it much faster then 4 or 5 hours.  How could so many people be upset at this? We are used to this, as cell phone users. I think that is where the next head held fight is going to be be, between Nintendo and cell phones. So, in my mind, as long as the 3ds gives me better games then phones (im thinking more along the lines of the online store here) then im sold even with the shorter battery life, if i need to save some extra juice ill just keep the 3d off.  
    And the short time is cause when you use the 3d. Keep in mind, when you have 3d on, you are running 3 screens on one system. There is no real point to this post btw. Just think im a bit hype for the next handheld wars to start up, and so far the 3ds has me really happy, lets see what the psp2 and the play phone brings.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Wait, so the battery's supposed to be... not so great? That's too bad. My DS Lite can hold a charge for the longest time.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gonmog

yeah its not that good, 4 hours or so when 3d is on, 8 or so with out i think.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

My DS Lite and my cell phone can go for days without a charge. 

Where is your god now? 

That's right, you cast him into the deep, dank hole known as "Mobile Gaming."

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

That's not a good excuse for poor battery life.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By CL60
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " Wait, so the battery's supposed to be... not so great? That's too bad. My DS Lite can hold a charge for the longest time. "
    Yeah, apparently the battery lasts 3-4 hours.
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mcfart

My phone usually lasts 2 days with heavvy use.........even my heavy duty laptop has 3 hrs battery life....i expect a handheld to have at least 6-8

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gonmog

I had a simi long  reply here, full of links and a few graphs of what happens when you play cpu heavy games on phones, but i said fuck it, if there are people willing to lie about there gaming on a phone usage im not going to even try. ....2 days heavy gaming use on a cell with no charge...LoL.  

Edit, and as was said before, the 3ds has around 8 hours of game time with out the 3d on, good thing they give you that slider to control your battery usage if you know you will be away from a plug for a while.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Gonmog said:

"  good thing they give you that slider to control your battery usage if you know you will be away from a plug for a while. "

Indeed. As I understand the technology though, it's a physical change that takes place when you move that slider. It shifts some material inside the screen in order to make the 3D image more noticeable, or turn it off. If that's indeed the case (which it may or may not be), then how would that even suck extra battery? Seems weird to me, but I think I'd be fine even with only about 4 hours.
    Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Sayishere

this is the only thing concerning me about this system

4 hours is not enough at all

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By krazy_kyle

I think it's alright because when i play a handheld i tend to be near a power socket so i will be fine if i carry the adapter with me :)

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Jack268
    @krazy_kyle said:
    "

I think it's alright because when i play a handheld i tend to be near a power socket so i will be fine if i carry the adapter with me :)

"
    Yeah, I think there's about 2 times per year that I'm away from a power socket for more than 5-8 hours, and even then, I probably won't be playing DS the whole time. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.