Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Best Zelda game on the 3DS to introduce somebody to the series?

nopr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bit of an open and subjective question here, I know.

Whilst I'm a PC and tabletop gamer at heart, my fiancee enjoys playing games on her Nintendo 3DS and iPhone. Mostly stuff like Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Candy Crush, Lara Croft Go, etc. We've been exploring new avenues of gaming together (from card games to co-op puzzlers) and she recently expressed an interesting in playing the Legend of Zelda games.

So my question is this: For a Nintendo 3DS player who isn't familiar with the series (or games of that type), what is the best Legend of Zelda game to suggest they pick up and start with?

I've only played the games up to (and including) Wind Waker, so my first thought was the venerable Ocarina of Time. But that is a very console-like game. I have no experience of the handheld games in the series other than The Minish Cap. Anybody have any suggestions?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would suggest A Link Between Worlds. It's the best Zelda game I've played since Wind Waker and it's pretty easy to pick up and play.

supermulletman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I second A Link Between Worlds, its a fantastic game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

A Link Between Worlds has the feeling of quickly getting whisked into an adventure that I think is what people love about the Zelda series. It doesn't get bogged down in like 2 hours of introducing the story and world, and since it was designed very recently, is also super super player friendly in a way that some of the early games are not. Lots of cool puzzles, a fun world to explore, and if she has played Animal Crossing and Pokemon, the visual perspective should transition nicely from what your fiancee is used to.

But I guess maybe ask her if there is anything she expects from the Legend of Zelda series? Has she just heard about it in passing without really knowing what it's all about, or did she see some sibling or friend play a Zelda game when she was younger but never played it herself? The 2D and 3D games have a similar spirit but are functionally very different games, so if she saw someone playing Ocarina of Time when she was younger and is expecting this big 3D adventure with a story and a Deku Tree that dies and playing songs on the Ocarina and whatever, then Link Between Worlds might be a "wait, what is this" moment that seems basic by comparison, even though it's a very good game. Also, none of the games you listed have 3rd person camera controls to worry about, which is something she may or may not wrestle with in Ocarina of Time. If she is open to either kind of Zelda game and really has no preconceived notion about what the series is, then Link Between Worlds is the more approachable game that is also tremendously good.

If she wants a cartoony Legend of Zelda that is easy to get into, has a familiar perspective, doesn't get too bogged down in story, and has adorable characters, and is a really, really good 3DS game, Link Between Worlds is great. If she wants a more realized 3D world Zelda that has slightly more fiddly menus and camera controls but also a greater sense of scale and a more involved story and characters (and also Link grows up into a handsome 17-year-old guy, look, this seems to matter to young ladies and gays that I know), then perhaps Ocarina of Time is more her style.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'd say ocarina of time 3D. It's the the Zelda by which all others are judged after all.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A link between worlds easily. Then try the 3d ones. Majoras Mask is my favourite 3d Zelda but its probably not the best to start on.

nopr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nopr

A Link Between Worlds has the feeling of quickly getting whisked into an adventure that I think is what people love about the Zelda series. It doesn't get bogged down in like 2 hours of introducing the story and world, and since it was designed very recently, is also super super player friendly in a way that some of the early games are not. Lots of cool puzzles, a fun world to explore, and if she has played Animal Crossing and Pokemon, the visual perspective should transition nicely from what your fiancee is used to.

But I guess maybe ask her if there is anything she expects from the Legend of Zelda series? Has she just heard about it in passing without really knowing what it's all about, or did she see some sibling or friend play a Zelda game when she was younger but never played it herself? The 2D and 3D games have a similar spirit but are functionally very different games, so if she saw someone playing Ocarina of Time when she was younger and is expecting this big 3D adventure with a story and a Deku Tree that dies and playing songs on the Ocarina and whatever, then Link Between Worlds might be a "wait, what is this" moment that seems basic by comparison, even though it's a very good game. Also, none of the games you listed have 3rd person camera controls to worry about, which is something she may or may not wrestle with in Ocarina of Time. If she is open to either kind of Zelda game and really has no preconceived notion about what the series is, then Link Between Worlds is the more approachable game that is also tremendously good.

If she wants a cartoony Legend of Zelda that is easy to get into, has a familiar perspective, doesn't get too bogged down in story, and has adorable characters, and is a really, really good 3DS game, Link Between Worlds is great. If she wants a more realized 3D world Zelda that has slightly more fiddly menus and camera controls but also a greater sense of scale and a more involved story and characters (and also Link grows up into a handsome 17-year-old guy, look, this seems to matter to young ladies and gays that I know), then perhaps Ocarina of Time is more her style.

Thanks for your insightful comment.

I think the reason for her interest is that while exploring new games together, the Legend of Zelda is a series that keeps coming up again and again as genre staple. Of course, it's a series that has in time spanned and explored multiple genres, but it has history nonetheless. I don't think that she has any expectations in particular, more that she might feel she should have at least explored a series many consider to be a cornerstone of gaming.

I enjoyed Ocarina of Time immensely in my youth but, playing it now in the context of modern games, I would probably find the camera controls and targeting mechanics "janky" at best, frustrating at worst - particularly if I hadn't played it before.

Based on her past experience and preferences in games, I think that Link Between Worlds sounds like the more friendly and approachable introduction to the series and have now purchased it. Thanks for your (and others) recommendations!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Link Between Worlds is probably the best game on the 3DS and an all round fantastic game!

You should play it too!

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100% A Link Between Worlds. Like, it's not even a contest.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ALBW for gameplay, and OOT 3D for setting and atmosphere.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Yeah, I think this has already been sorted but I'll totally speak to A Link Between Worlds. I hadn't played a Zelda game since Link's Awakening (and I had that in French, so I didn't fully catch all of the dialogue which is partly why I never finished the whole game). I've tried to play Ocarina of Time in the past few years and made it a few dungeons deep but didn't love it as someone without that nostalgia factor. Picked up ALBW in early 2015 and blitzed through the whole thing over 2-3 days, then played it instantly through a second time on hard. Completely sold me from about 1-2 hours in and never let go.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ALBW is an amazing game. But Ocarina of Time is the best game of all time, and they only improved it through the 3DS version. with people I know, Ocarina was an easy introduction to the series.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Another vote for ALBW, and if they enjoyed that and would like more Zelda, go for OoT 3D. I definitely would not recommend starting someone on OoT in 201...6. Shit, keep thinking 2015, god dammit.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Ocarina of Time is still one of the greatest games ever made for a reason, but A Link Between Worlds might be an easier start for someone who has never experienced the series before.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Link Between Worlds, but might as well get Ocarina of Time 3D also.

These games are like the perfect Zelda starter pack and both on the 3DS

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I almost feel like there are 2 Zelda series as the 2d and 3d ones have a completely different feel to me when playing.

A Link Between Worlds would be great start for the 2d stuff, Ocarina of Time for the 3D ones.

I probably would go 2d before 3d given what she has liked so far.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ALBW, followed by OOT 3D. Play Majora's Mask on N64/GC.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By justicejanitor

Both Ocarina of Time 3D and A Link between Worlds are great games but I'm not sure about A Link Between Worlds since what's so great about it is how it has a different structure from most Zelda games and plays with the concept.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

ALBW A is too different for me to recommend it as someone's first Zelda game. If there's a way to play ALTTP, I think that would be better.

Otherwise, Ocarina is a good bet. It's still one of the best games of its kind, and probably won't feel as dated on a handheld. Majora's Mask is also great and is my personal favorite but like ALBW, it's too different from the conventional Zeldas to recommend for a first timer.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

A Link Between Worlds is perfect, plus the whole Shadow Link challenge with street pass is amazing. The Virtual Console has more of Gameboy Zelda games which are closer to A Link Between Worlds. Ocarina of Time 3D is actually better then Majora's Mask 3D. I'd say Majora would be if your interested into delving more into this universe. Personally I'd say the BEST game that's not on 3DS would be A Link to the Past.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First play A Link Between Worlds, then Ocarina of Time 3D, and end with Majora's Mask 3D. Feel free to skip Tri Force Heroes.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I didn't play Ocarina of Time back in the day and didn't much care for it. A Link Between Worlds was excellent and very friendly to new players.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.