Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Redesign or Not redesign?

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Atary77

As the title suggest I'm curious what you folks think about the idea of a 3DS redesign. There were rumors flying around that Nintendo would reveal a new 3DS during this week but Nintendo was quick to shoot the rumor down. For some this is a good thing considering they've already made the investment in a 3DS and are perfectly fine with it. Others have been waiting considering Nintendo's track record of coming out with a revision of their handheld which usually ends up being better and more desirable than the first iteration.

Me personally, I was hoping to see a new 3DS with the second circle pad built in and a longer battery life mostly because I have yet to buy a 3DS as of yet. However if Nintendo actually plans to stick to their guns and continue to support the 3DS in it's current state then I would certainly give them some props for not making their handheld obsolete so soon.

What about you guys though? Should Nintendo consider making a better 3DS? Or do you think the 3DS is just fine the way it is and shouldn't be messed with?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Wemibelle

Better battery life is something that should (and probably will) be in a future update. I just don't really know what else an update would have. From what I've heard, the 3DS is well designed and comfortable in every way. I don't think another circle pad is needed and would actually say it shouldn't be included in an update. Selling a whole new device just with a better battery isn't worth it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I don't know. The Circle pad should have been included in the original one, that's for damn sure, but other than that and battery life I don't know of any issues with a current 3DS.

Besides, Nintendo needs the sales, and announcing a newer version will make sales drop because people will just wait. A better chance for a new announcement will be after the Wii U comes out.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

Well, the original DS design sucked. That really needed it .The 3DS is still a fine piece of hardware. It's all about the games. I personally haven't had any battery issues.

You don't need the second analogue stick.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By stinky

what i read it was just a bigger screen. along the lines of a DS XL.

so not about an extra thumb stick.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Atary77

@stinky: I had heard about this as well, which to me sounds kinda silly to make a bigger system just for a screen especially since it wouldn't fit a Circle Pad Pro at all.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BrockNRolla

No need for a redesign. Nintendo needs to support the system it already put out before asking people to buy a new iteration.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

I think they should just release a redesigned 3DS with a bigger bottom screen that's the same size as the top and give the system better battery life. Maybe a second nub if they can pull it off without making the handheld much bigger.

Any kind of redesign tomorrow, though, will be a welcome announcement in my book. The current version is fine, but they can definitely make it better.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Dagbiker

If they redesign the 3DS I would not mind, as long as they do not create a condition were i have to buy an accesory for the 3DS to be able to play games. Namely a second analog stick. If they want to make the screen bigger, or the battery longer. Im fine with that. But do not split the community.

Faramir82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Faramir82

@TruthTellah said:

I think they should just release a redesigned 3DS with a bigger bottom screen that's the same size as the top and give the system better battery life. Maybe a second nub if they can pull it off without making the handheld much bigger.

Any kind of redesign tomorrow, though, will be a welcome announcement in my book. The current version is fine, but they can definitely make it better.

I have the same feelings, except I don't think they will fracture the community with a second Circle pad.

If they announce a redesign tonight I will hold off buying one until it's released, if not I go to the store and pick up a 3DS.

Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Atary77

I'm considering getting one too now because it's starting to seem like if they do a redesign, they're not going to put a second analog pad on it so, might as well get one if I'm ever going to play Super Mario 3D Land =/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.