Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

1 in every 5 of the population of Japan own a DS.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    1 in 5 Japanese People own a DS!

(from Kotaku)

No Caption Provided

You may be aware, from hanging around the internet, that Japan loves the Nintendo DS. But it takes a nice little mix of pictures and statistics to really ram the point home.

This chart was released by Nintendo today, and shows the percentage of a market's population that owns a DS. By extension, it also explains succinctly just how bonkers the Japanese population has been for the handheld. I mean, over 20% of the population owning a DS? Crazy. That's one in five Japanese people. Not one in five Japanese gamers. One in five Japanese people.

That is a staggering number and shows how much Japanese people embrace technology.  You have to remember that Japan has one of the oldest populations in the world, so it isn't about the kids.  It also explains why sales growth would be slowing for the DS in Jaoan - the market is effectively saturated.

There is still a lot of growth potential in Europe and the USA though.  You haven't got a DS?  What the hell is stopping you :-)
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

I don't know, does that factor DSphat, lite and DSi sales? I imagine there are a lot of japanese people who bought all three. 26M units sold doesn't mean 26M people running around with a DS.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond
    oldschool said:
    That is a staggering number and shows how much Japanese people embrace technology.  You have to remember that Japan has one of the oldest populations in the world, so it isn't about the kids.  It also explains why sales growth would be slowing for the DS in Jaoan - the market is effectively saturated.

There is still a lot of growth potential in Europe and the USA though.  You haven't got a DS?  What the hell is stopping you :-)
    Japanese have embraced handhelds, but rejected other game systems, which is very disappointing to me.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

Yeah but...how many versions of the DS do you own, oldschool? I think you account for about 2% of worldwide DS sales just by yourself!

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Absurd

That's quite a bit
    :o

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    Meowayne said:
    "I don't know, does that factor DSphat, lite and DSi sales? I imagine there are a lot of japanese people who bought all three. 26M units sold doesn't mean 26M people running around with a DS."
    Very true.  I was hoping no-one would pick up on that  xP

MB said:
    "Yeah but...how many versions of the DS do you own, oldschool? I think you account for about 2% of worldwide DS sales just by yourself!"
    Yes, I have 4 DS and by Christmas it will be 6  :-)  

Serious point though, people like myself have multiple units because we have children.  The fact that I have 4 DS relates directly to the fact that I have 4 people in the house.  Assuming that in Japan, most of the multiple units would reside in a house of multiple residents means that the number is probably not affected by more than a couple of million.

Even a childless couple probably has 2 units for multiplayer or just to save arguments over who gets to play it  xP.  The DS has become the television remote of the powerplay in the modern home.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ

I'm more impressed by europes sales. they have sold the most there by sheer amount.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Diamond said:
    "oldschool said:

Japanese have embraced handhelds, but rejected other game systems, which is very disappointing to me."
    I read somewhere that the reason is that a DS can be just yours, and you can play whenever. However, using a game system means monopolizing the family TV.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Diamond said:
    "oldschool said:

Japanese have embraced handhelds, but rejected other game systems, which is very disappointing to me."
    I read somewhere that the reason is that a DS can be just yours, and you can play whenever. However, using a game system means monopolizing the family TV.
    "
    Do you think it is something to do with the possibility that Japanese people are time poor.  I am just generalising on stereotypes here, but the children school longer, adults work longer and therefore spend less time time at home than an average westerner.  The handheld gives them quality gaming on the train (if they actually can with how crammed they appear to be in the pictures I see) and during breaks.

I could be totally wrong though, as I am only guessing.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentJ
    oldschool said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Diamond said:
    "oldschool said:

"
    Do you think it is something to do with the possibility that Japanese people are time poor.  I am just generalising on stereotypes here, but the children school longer, adults work longer and therefore spend less time time at home than an average westerner.  The handheld gives them quality gaming on the train (if they actually can with how crammed they appear to be in the pictures I see) and during breaks.

I could be totally wrong though, as I am only guessing.
    "
    Yeah, I only rode the train once when it was filled with school kids, but it seemed like a fourth of them broke out their DS' or PSP (far more DS btw)
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By WickedCobra03

That is really a sick amount.  I think only 1 or 2 of my friends have DS's.  And that is from about a group of around 30 or so pretty close friends...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    WickedCobra03 said:
    "That is really a sick amount.  I think only 1 or 2 of my friends have DS's.  And that is from about a group of around 30 or so pretty close friends..."
    Clearly you need better firends  :-)
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgentJ
    oldschool said:
    "WickedCobra03 said:
    "That is really a sick amount.  I think only 1 or 2 of my friends have DS's.  And that is from about a group of around 30 or so pretty close friends..."
    Clearly you need better firends  :-)
    "
    Or he needs to put his friend code up so we can all friend him : )
    talljack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By talljack

Just imagine using pictochat in Japan...like, there would be a REASON to use it. DICKS EVERYWHERE!

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
    talljack said:
    "Just imagine using pictochat in Japan...like, there would be a REASON to use it. DICKS EVERYWHERE!"
    That would be creepy. You get on and all the rooms are full. XD
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ
    talljack said:
    "Just imagine using pictochat in Japan...like, there would be a REASON to use it. DICKS EVERYWHERE!"
    Except Japanese nerd culture isn't dominated by dicks... If anything, it'd be boobs
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    AgentJ said:
    "talljack said:
    Except Japanese nerd culture isn't dominated by dicks... If anything, it'd be boobs
    "
    I prefer boobs  :-)

The only time I have ever used the chat rooms was at a busy anime & manga convention.  It was fun.  There is never enough people around in my sparsely populated neighbourhood to ever use it.  At least in Japan you can send bizarre drawings to others for your own amusement and there will be people to receive it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.