Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Best recent games?

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CoverlessTech

I haven't really touched my DS in probably over a year(around when TWEWY came out). I'm looking for a lengthy game to get into on the system. I'd rather something that wasn't to slow. What are the best recent stuff to come out?

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Axersia

You want a lengthy game but don't want it to be slow? Seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me, but I guess Dragon Quest IV and V do fit that description. They have the length that you would expect from an RPG from the early 90s and have the most fast-paced battles you will ever find in a turn-based RPG. Coincidentally, they also happen to be my 2 favorite games on the system, so I'd recommend those.

As for action games... I really can't think of any.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Gump
    @Axersia: Dragon Quest games suck a— , but that's just my own opinion. Of course, if you're a hardcore RPG fan - those games might be good for you.

I don't know what kind of games you like but here's a nice list:

Advance Wars (I spent +100 hours on this)
    Anno 1701 (strategy)
    Another Code (17-20 hours)
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (20+, yup)
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (yes)
    Custom Robo Arena (really fun game)
    Etrian Odyssey (obvious)
    Geometry Wars: Galaxies (pretty long)
    GTA Chinatown Wars (good multiplayer, great replay value)
    Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (17-20 hours)
    Mario & Luigi Partners in Time (15-20 hours, too)
    Megaman ZX / Advent series (yes)
    Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (infinite)
    Space Invaders Extreme (it will keep you playing for weeks, it's addictive)
    Super Princess Peach (easily 20+)
    Super Mario 64 DS (if you like Mario, this game is pretty long)
    Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (addictive and long)
    Yoshi’s Island DS (long, long)
    Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (15-20 hours of oustanding gameplay)

All of them are long games.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ
    @Gump said:
    " @Axersia: Dragon Quest games suck a— , but that's just my own opinion. Of course, if you're a hardcore RPG fan - those games might be good for you.I don't know what kind of games you like but here's a nice list:Advance Wars (I spent +100 hours on this)Anno 1701 (strategy)Another Code (17-20 hours)Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (20+, yup)Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (yes)Custom Robo Arena (really fun game)Etrian Odyssey (obvious)Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (yes, it is)Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (good/long RPG for the DS)Geometry Wars: Galaxies (pretty long)GTA Chinatown Wars (good multiplayer, great replay value)Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (17-20 hours)Mario & Luigi Partners in Time (15-20 hours, too)Megaman ZX / Advent series (yes)Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (infinite)Space Invaders Extreme (it will keep you playing for weeks, it's addictive)Super Princess Peach (easily 20+)Super Mario 64 DS (if you like Mario, this game is pretty long)Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (addictive and long)Yoshi’s Island DS (long, long)Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (15-20 hours of oustanding gameplay)All of them are long games. "
    A lot of those arent particularly recent. 

I bet that Castlevania OOE will last you a while, GTA is supposed to be pretty great, and Shin Megami Tensei got great ratings. 
    Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gump

Many of them aren't particularly recent, but all of them are MUST-PLAY, long games depending on your taste.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    @Gump said:
    " Many of them aren't particularly recent, but all of them are MUST-PLAY, long games depending on your taste. "
    right, but if he just wanted a list of great games on the DS, he just had to go
    here. 
    Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gump

Can anyone here explain me why this topic got a crazy amount of views just after publishing my first commentary?

Am I too popular on the internet or something?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ
    @Gump said:
    " Can anyone here explain me why this topic got a crazy amount of views just after publishing my first commentary?Am I too popular on the internet or something? "
    More likely the OP (or someone else) believed that a high number of page views would get more readership, or maybe it was just a glitch in the system. 
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Gump said:
    " Many of them aren't particularly recent, but all of them are MUST-PLAY, long games depending on your taste. "
    right, but if he just wanted a list of great games on the DS, he just had to go
    here.  "
    This. Its an awesome list.
    Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gump
    Jesus, what the hell in going here, every time I post a new commentary in this topic or in any other it gets 500 views.

See (2 minutes before):

No Caption Provided
    And now:

No Caption Provided
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ
    @Gump said:
    "
    Jesus, what the hell in going here, every time I post a new commentary in this topic or in any other it gets 500 views.

See (2 minutes before):

No Caption Provided
    And now:

No Caption Provided
    "
    You should stop hacking : )
    CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CoverlessTech
    @Axersia: By slow I mean stuff like FF. Slow, uninteresting combat, slow story progression, slow. I like strategy and action and I like a good story as long as the gameplay is interesting enough to keep me going.

I think Castelvania OOE was the last game I played on DS and I have played most of the stuff on Gumps list. I'm more or less looking for good games that came out recently so I can just see what I missed and I'd pick what I like myself. I actually just got Devil Survivor and am quite enjoying it. It has a neat story and the gameplay has enough strategy and challenge so it doesn't feel to slow. I've got a feeling this will last me for a while.
    Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gump
    @CoverlessTech: Try Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story but it only has been released in Japan.

Seems to be a fairly long game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.