Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Can Sports games work on the DS?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

So far, the DS has had the weakest lineup of sports games of any game platform this generation. That's not to say that sports games dont exist for it, but that the ones that are available, with few exceptions, are not quality games. Other than that True Swing Golf, are there any sports games for the DS that anyone would actually subject themselves to? 

I personally like a number of sports games including Madden and Fifa, along with baseball games in general. But can any of these be done right on the DS?
    SpaceMarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SpaceMarine

They could be done, but I think they would probably be simple straightforward sports games. I don't think Fifa, Madden or Baseball with touch-screen controls would work.

FoolInjection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By FoolInjection

Yeah I think they could be done right... It's just how they go about it...

For me they have to utilise the Split-screen nature properly...

Take Madden for example... I think that if you had the action on the top screen and then on the bottom you had the playbook.  You could select your play from the bottom screen and then use the D-pad and the buttons to play the game.

Fifa could have like the action on the top screen and the bottom screen could either be the radar showing you your players formation... substitues bench etc.

Baseball could be the bullpen... or you could get fancy and have like the strike-zone on the bottoms screen and you had to tap the screen where you wanted to aim for with your pitch or you swing... something like that.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

This is an area of gaming where the PSP is the place to be.  Sport games done in a traditional way need power, which the DS doesn't have.  Cartoon based sport games should be a different matter.

I generally don't like sport games, so I am not overly bothered.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

No. That's like asking if you'd want to use your phone as a baseball bat. It just can't work.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

You don't need power, you just need decent developers. Why isn't there any Sensible Soccer on DS for example? What about a RTS-like soccer or madden or hockey game which lets you direct your whole team with the stylus and perform certain actions? The potential is so there. So, YES.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    Al3xand3r said:
    "You don't need power, you just need decent developers. Why isn't there any Sensible Soccer on DS for example? What about a RTS-like soccer or madden or hockey game which lets you direct your whole team with the stylus and perform certain actions? The potential is so there. So, YES."
    Rockstar have proven that anything is possible and results brilliant if you have the desire and resources to make it.  Unfortunately, not enough developers have that desire or resources.  Just a churning out and quick buck seems to be the mantra, sadly.
    deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deathfury

I am waiting for my DS John Madden simulator, where you gotta talk into the mic like Madden, and drawn those fancy circles and lines on the screen!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    deathfury said:
    "I am waiting for my DS John Madden simulator, where you gotta talk into the mic like Madden, and drawn those fancy circles and lines on the screen!"
    But he has to be animated in The Simpsons style.  I enjoyed his cameo.  The game must end with him complaining that his game made no sense and getiing on a bus driven by Vincent Price.  I'd buy it.  :-)
    Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By RelentlessKnight
    deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deathfury
    RelentlessKnight said:
    "Have you heard of Eyeshield 21? "
    Does it have Madden in it?
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    RelentlessKnight said:
    "Have you heard of Eyeshield 21? "
    Sure have, though isn't that kind of played as a collection of mini games?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.