Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DSi exclusive titles. How would they be like?

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ToastMan

I read that it has been confirmed by Nintendo that titles exclusively made for the DSi will be available in the future.
    This got me thinking about how much better could these titles be...
    It is known that the DSi features a faster CPU and more RAM. This, theoretically, could lead to better looking games by allowing models with higher poly counts and also more/higher res textures.

What do you guys think? Those of you who are more inclined in the field of interactive entertainment could maybe have an educated guess for how much more advanced could DSi exclusive titles be over existing DS ones.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Steve_C

These downloadable titles do have the potential to look nicer and be more advanced, but on the other hand, the medium seems to be all about smaller, refined games.

If the games are limited to be under a set file size (i'm unsure of this), I don't we'll be seeing huge epic adventures rivalling traditional cart-based DS games, that happen to look better too. Games pushing higher polygon counts will be smaller in scope, like most of the games in general. I think most of the games will stick to 2d art, but perhaps will some flashier effects.

EDIT: Oh, if you're on about actual cart-based games that you'll find at retail, i don't think we'll see many if at all. Games that do take advantage of the DSi's extra features like the camera will do so in very small ways that are a bonus perhaps, but not intrinsic to the experience, like the Playstation Eye functionality within LittleBigPlanet. I could see an Animal Crossing game - not that there is one - using the camera to import textures to put on your custom clothes.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @caesius6 said:
    " I'm not sure by how much but I don't think we'll be seeing many, sadly.Many companies wouldn't want to weed out the majority of DS owners who don't own a DSi. Although I remember reading something that said there are certain carts that can, when put into a DSi, take advantage of it's capabilities and when not put into a DSi, works regularly. I feel like the camera can be put to use very well and inventine like in so many games, we just need the dev. that will step up and use it. "
    Theres a long list of  Nintendo Peripherals that would have been cool if devs would use them. IMO the only DSi exclusives will come from the DSi store, and there will not be a lot of those.
    ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ToastMan

Well, the fact that Nintendo actually announced that there will be DSi exclusive (and semi-exclusive) carts, proves that DSi exclusive titles will be released (as few of them as they may be).
    Games that will use the DSi's camera is kind of a given. I'm more interested about titles that will make good use of the system's enhanced hardware. What's the point of improving hardware if you're not going to increase the games fidelity.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

Pretty awesome given developers can already manage great things on the meager current specs. They've had to work within the harsh restrictions that developing for the DS poses, and they have got very good at squeezing out quality as a result. Developing for the DSi will be a welcome gift that I am sure many cannot wait to take advantage of.

There will have to be a slew of DSiWare games before exclusives start appearing, but they will almost certainly appear, but not for a good while yet.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

DSi-exclusive titles will probably only mostly appear when the install base warrants treatment as its own platform. With the good sales it's been enjoying, it's bound to happen at some point, especially since Nintendo don't seem likely to release another successor (soon, not ever). The DSi could very well end up as the successor to the DS as more people are enticed into upgrading and therefor enlarge its install base. It could be a stealth DS2. By the time a PSP2 (or whatever) appears, the DSi will be Nintendo's new baby, and already victorious for yet another generation with an established audience, back catalogue and developers who know how to make the most of it. They could launch the shift in gears with a couple of 1st party DSi exclusive titles of the Zelda or Mario caliber, and 3rd parties would follow suit.

Other than that, I suppose that better looking games will be very welcome for owners of the system, but really, the DS is a mean machine that developers can put out great games of any sort on, which may lack things visually, yet are every bit as modern as any... Square's a good example.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool

If they are going to make a DSi exclusive game, then they need to make it a killer app.  If it is, it will spur on the sales of the DSi as fans upgrade to play the game.  The clear and obvious choice for the killer game to be the first is Super Smash Bros DS.  It would be a multi-million seller and every man and his dog would want to play it.  I think it would be a good marketing strategy - maybe towards the middle of next year perhaps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.