Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

I am a new DSi owner - help me get the most out of it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

It finally happened today.  I have joined the DSi club, a club full of cool and intereting people  :-)     I finally saw a deal that I cared about - a free game with the console.  I have been waiting for a decent free game with the DSi before I would jump in and it was a constant stream of casual games I didn't want.  This is the free game that sold me: 

Truth is, I have to wait a little while longer, as it is my birthday present (I have to act surprised). 

Now I need to know stuff. 

What stuff, exclusive to the DSi should I be doing or getting?  DSiWare?  Apps?  Tell me about the browser.  Anything that will make my time fun with a DSi is appreciated - educate. 

Thank you in advance :-)
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

Not entirely linked to your predicament, but is that flipbook application out yet. Because I'd be all over that if I had a DSi.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @get2sammyb said:
    " Not entirely linked to your predicament, but is that flipbook application out yet. Because I'd be all over that if I had a DSi. "
    Just about to read the IGN review on that (as was pointed out by Linkyshinks).  Sounds like some fun right there.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well it's free isn't it? So just download it, who needs reviews :-P

I mean, a review is good for those who perhaps don't have a DSi yet, and to bring attention to the app, but you can just download it now!

Anyway, I guess you could check out the Art Style games on DSiWare :-)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

I'm happy for you :), When exactly is your birthday?, it's just that you have 1000 Nintendo Points waiting for you, that will expire once we are out of the "launch period". I have no idea of what the time frame is for that expiry. If it's a week or two you should be fine though. 

1000 Nintendo Points
    (free)
    DSi Browser (free)
    Flipnote Studio (free) 

Here's some good games to consider; 

Pyoro / Bird's & Beans - a fantastic little game that harks back to one screen Game & watch era, great fun and very addictive. I'm telling ya, It's videogame crack!

Made in Wario  ( - coming very soon)   Make your own Wario Ware mini games and share them with the world - video below
    Mighty Flip Champs -  a cool retro style puzzle platformer with a innovative  flip screen mechanic - video below  
    Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Mini's March Again - if you've played the previous games you should know what this is all about - video below
    Paper Plane -  a twitch game, something you play on a spare moment you have, good fun and quite addictive if annoying
    Artstyle:Aquia - A good puzzle game which has scored well
    Dr Mario Express - a minature version of the classic - video below
    Art Style: Pictopict - awesome little Nintendo made puzzle game - video below
    Reflection DS (coming soon) - an Independent Games Festival Winner 09- video below) 

@Al3xand3r : 

" Well it's free isn't it? So just download it, who needs reviews :-P I mean, a review is good for those who perhaps don't have a DSi yet, and to bring attention to the app, but you can just download it now!Anyway, I guess you could check out the Art Style games on DSiWare :-) "

People that have yet to buy a DSi, partly because they've been reading weakly written articles which dissuade them from doing so. IGN obviously thought that such a quality made app deserved a full written review, their team see it as a system seller, something that people will look at say, I want a DSi now. What's sad is that many shun the DSi for not having anything really unique and cool as far as software, that's clearly not the case now when you see cool games like Mighty Flip Champs, and quality driven software on the way including IGF winning games like Reflection.  It would be easy to think otherwise when reading Brad's weakly researched articles that point an accusing finger at the lack of any content on the DSiWare service. A service which has barely started in the West I should add. 

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Emilio

I don't know where you're at, but I think you get 1000 free Nintendo points in the US when you get a DSi.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I'm happy for you :), When exactly is your birthday?, it's just that you have 1000 Nintendo Points waiting for you, that will expire once we are out of the "launch period". I have no idea of what the time frame is for that expiry. If it's a week or two you should be fine though. 

1000 Nintendo Points (free)
    DSi Browser (free)
    Flipnote Studio (free) 

Here's some good games to consider; 

Bird's & Beans - a fantastic little game that harks back to one screen Game & watch era, great fun and very addictive. I'm telling ya, It's videogame crack!
    Made in Wario  ( - coming very soon)   Make your own Wario Ware mini games - video below
    Mighty Flip Champs -  a cool retro style puzzle platformer with a innovative  flip screen mechanic - video below  
    Mario Vs Donkey Kong: Mini's March Again - if youy have played the previous game you should know what this is about

Paper Plane -  a twitch game, something you play on a spare moment you have, good fun and quite addictive if annoying
    Artstyle:Aquia - A good puzzle game which has scored well
    Dr Mario Express - a minature version of teh classic
    Art Style: Pictobits
    Reflection DS (coming soon) - an Independent Games Festival Winner 09- (video below) "
    The underlined ones call out to me.  I am not a puzzle gamer as such (there are exceptions).  I will check out more on Bird's & Beans though.  Iam really looking forward to the Dragon Monsters one I read about a while ago.  I am hoping for more strategy games in the long run. 

@Emilio said:
    " I don't know where you're at, but I think you get 1000 free Nintendo points in the US when you get a DSi. "
    Australia.  I am almost sure we do here as well.  I am not allowed to open it yet  :-( 

I am really hoping that in the long run, apart from the obvious Gameboy games on a DSiVC, there will be real DLC, in the way of new maps and missions, for games like Advance Wars or Final Fantasy.  That would be a cool way to extend the life of a game.  Not sure if it is technically possible though.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

You simply must include Pyoro to your list!, I cannot stress how much of an essential purchase it is, trust me when I say it will go down a treat in your family setting. When I got my DSi I had to ween my girlfriend off it, she was stealing my DS and taking it to work!. 

Only 200 Nintendo Points (includes 2 game modes)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " You simply must include Pyoro to your list!, I cannot stress how much of an essential purchase it is, trust me when I say it will go down a treat in your family setting. When I got my DSi I had to ween my girlfriend off it, she was stealing my DS and taking it to work!. 

Only 200 Nintendo Points (includes 2 game modes)

"
    200 points is not a lot of money.  In my local dollars, it works out $1.50 per 100 points.  I can't see how I could go wrong with a $3 purchase. 

What tends to be the highest points for a game?  I thought it was about 800 points and even then, at $12, when a retail game is $60, they seem pretty cheap.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

Pyoro looks amazing.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Oldschool

You really cannot, you will get more than your monies worth for that expense. ( I really wish we had more games just like it, games clearly in the game & watch style)  

800 Points is what you pay for games in the Premium section of the DSi Shop, but there's no cap to my knowledge, there may be games in the future that will cost more. However, right now none are priced more than 800. As an example of such a game, Asphalt 4: Elite Racing is available for 800 points.

@get2sammyb said:

" Pyoro looks amazing. "

Pyoro is awesome, I like the second game which is easily un-lockable after gaining 10,000 points, Pyoro 2,  The game first appeared in Wario Ware:   

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ

Made in Wario is a Wiiware only game? I thought it was physical software! NOOOOOOOO!!!!! 
    *there goes 170 future dollars* 

So how are you liking it so far Oldschool?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " Made in Wario is a Wiiware only game? I thought it was physical software! NOOOOOOOO!!!!! *there goes 170 future dollars*  So how are you liking it so far Oldschool? "
    Just about birthday time.  It is hidden to be wrapped and I have to look surprised when I open it  :-) 

I will let you know next weekend.  Chrono Trigger will arrive by then, to go with Grand Theft Auto, so I am looking forward to a good time  :-)
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ThomasP

Congrats on getting a DSi. I think the guys above answered your question pretty well. I'm enjoying Chrono Trigger and Phantom Hourglass right now. After that I'm going to replay Professor Layton and the Curios Village in preparation for the Diabolical Box.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool

Getting the system tomorrow (birth day).  I can't wait to try it out online.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool

Hallelujah, it is in my hands and I have downloaded Flipnote.  Still trying to download the browser and then I will startlooking for a couple of good things for my 1000 points.  I am very impresses.  I love the bigger screens.  My daughter hates the matte finish though.  Me, I like it, no more finger prints. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.