Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Iwata on DS Successor

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Nintendo's President, Satoru Iwata, has spoken about Nintendo's successor to the DS.  Speaking in an interview with Asahi Shimbun, Nintendo's president mentions the new handheld hardware, saying that Nintendo's aim is to output graphics in HD and incorporate some form of motion sensor ability. 

Iwata also mention the two major pieces of the company's upcoming Wii strategy: the Vitality Sensor peripheral and the next Zelda game.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

Oh no.. I don't want motion control on a handheld. How embarrassing would that be? I don't wanna shake my handheld around. That's also where the screen is. Shaking the screen is silly.  

Touch was fine, because they could balance old-school game mechanics with some neat touch features, but this seems kinda dumb. Guess we'll see.  

Also I'm curious how they expect the vitality sensor to be a major part of their upcoming strategy. Guess the motion plus is just another deadweight now? I'd rather see a huge push towards getting that in the hands of all wii owners, and just make it the new standard in control.  

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By rallier

The whole concept does not sound all the appealing to me. It's the Iphone that has really made me weary when it comes to motion controls and handhelds but then Iphone developers are not Nintendo so perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised. Ha it is fun to not know what to expect when it comes to new Nintendo hardware. I do wonder when we will see this, the DS is still going might strong so 2012?

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Kiemoe

It works with the iPhone, so this seems like it will be fine

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By JonathanMoore

Eh, all I wanna know is how long roughly can we expect it to be?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @JonathanMoore said:
    " Eh, all I wanna know is how long roughly can we expect it to be? "
    I really would like a DS successor soon. I feel like the DS is starting to show its age graphically. Sure graphics aren't everything but after looking at what a PSP can do DS games really look like they are falling behind. I mean a lot of PSP games look as good as some PS2 games now while DS games are still far behind that. Coming from someone who plays a lot of RPGs on handhelds I do find graphics to be an important factor in things. Of course I am only talking about 3D games. 

On the other hand, I think 2 screens is pretty much one of the best things ever for playing a game (especially RPGs) and hope the next "new" Nintendo handheld keeps that feature. 

Though maybe it's just because I am tired right now and not thinking straight but I think a new "Gameboy" with only 1 non touch screen that could only play 2D games would be epic, with a nice pretty wide screen and clear visuals. Course I suppose it wouldn't make much sense to have two different handhelds from one company.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB

Does anyone else find it amazing (weird?) that if rumors for the next DS are true, and it uses the Nividia Tegra 1 or Tegra 2 chipset, then it will effectively be more powerful than the current gen Wii? At that point, who isn't going to believe that a Wii HD is just around the corner?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Willy105
    @AndrewB said:

" Does anyone else find it amazing (weird?) that if rumors for the next DS are true, and it uses the Nividia Tegra 1 or Tegra 2 chipset, then it will effectively be more powerful than the current gen Wii? At that point, who isn't going to believe that a Wii HD is just around the corner? "

Nintendo is always messing around behind the scenes in R&D, which results in the huge R&D budgets they had all this gen. The thing is, their current consoles are so successful, getting out new consoles out the door will be bad for everyone, including them.

@Linkyshinks, Iwata didn't say it would output to HD, but that it would have high resolution graphics. For a hand-held, that means a screen capable of outputting to 480p or more. Also, Zelda and Vitality Sensor for 2010.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail

It's about time we get some specific details on next gen consoles, even if it is only a handheld console. 

I find it somewhat surprising how Nintendo is suddenly giving so much importance to HD, since graphics are not what distinguishes them form other Console Developers, much less what makes Nintendo what it is. And I don't think a motion sensor ability is a good idea for a handheld, not many people want to look like idiots in waiting rooms, airplanes or any public area for that matter. Because it works in your living room that doesn't mean it will work everywhere. Although I won't mind if it is something as discrete as the iPhone's accelerometer, a feature that, when you first think of it, will apparently make you look like an idiot in public.

That being said, the Doraemon add in that page is really awesome. 

The little fishy thing kinda creeps me out though. 

He is all like
     He is all like "HAI GUUYYYS!"
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Snail said:

" It's about time we get some specific details on next gen consoles, even if it is only a handheld console. 

I find it somewhat surprising how Nintendo is suddenly giving so much importance to HD, since graphics are not what distinguishes them form other Console Developers, much less what makes Nintendo what it is. And I don't think a motion sensor ability is a good idea for a handheld, not many people want to look like idiots in waiting rooms, airplanes or any public area for that matter. Because it works in your living room that doesn't mean it will work everywhere. Although I won't mind if it is something as discrete as the iPhone's accelerometer, a feature that, when you first think of it, will apparently make you look like an idiot in public.

That being said, the Doraemon add in that page is really awesome. 

The little fishy thing kinda creeps me out though. 

He is all like
     He is all like "HAI GUUYYYS!"
    "

They're simply keeping in line with what will be expected with all such handheld devices soon. HD portable displays will be commonplace by the time it arrives. 

The tilt motion detector in the Warioware Twisted GBA cart, shows exactly how well such ability can be used by Nintendo. 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail
    @Linkyshinks: True that. And I also I remember a Yoshi game with that feature, it was a good use of that feature too, although WarioWare: Twisted! made a better use of it.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By AgentJ

Fantastic news. I can't wait to see what it will look like.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Brunchies

Cool, I hope Nintendo doesn't treat the motion controls like a gimmick and put it in some games that don't need it but I do agree it would be awesome to see a sequel to Warioware Twisted on the new handheld console.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Cerza

I am cautiously optimistic and very intrigued. Maybe this will be the return of the Gameboy name? I can't wait to see this demoed. Maybe we'll get something at E3?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ
    @Cerza said:

" Maybe this will be the return of the Gameboy name? "

I would doubt it. They seem to love the two screened thing they've got going. It's too bad that they almost certainly won't bring back Gameboy as long as the DS is around.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scooper

Why would I need a handheld that outputs to 1080p...? That's the current "HD" standered, right?

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Cerza
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Cerza said:

I would doubt it. They seem to love the two screened thing they've got going. It's too bad that they almost certainly won't bring back Gameboy as long as the DS is around. "
    What I meant was that this new portable device might be called a Gameboy something or other so the name would be back. Not necessarily be a Gameboy in the traditional sense. I think you are right though. They will probably call it the DS Advance or something. The Gameboy is dead.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentJ
    @Scooper said:
    " Why would I need a handheld that outputs to 1080p...? That's the current "HD" standered, right? "
    I suppose for the same reason you'd need a console in 1080p? Even if the next DS was in HD however, it'd probably be 720p max.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ
    @Cerza said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @Cerza said:

I would doubt it. They seem to love the two screened thing they've got going. It's too bad that they almost certainly won't bring back Gameboy as long as the DS is around. "
    What I meant was that this new portable device might be called a Gameboy something or other so the name would be back. Not necessarily be a Gameboy in the traditional sense. I think you are right though. They will probably call it the DS Advance or something. The Gameboy is dead. "
    I prefer to think of it as a DS-induced coma.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Scooper
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " Why would I need a handheld that outputs to 1080p...? That's the current "HD" standered, right? "
    I suppose for the same reason you'd need a console in 1080p? Even if the next DS was in HD however, it'd probably be 720p max. "
    You've convinced me.

However, I don't really see a benefit for a new DS... The old one's great! I just got done with Phantom Hourglass that I've been borrowing off my brother and it's fantastic! I don't need anything with better graphics then that. Besides, the best games on handhelds and DS are the 2d or isometric games anyways.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Cerza said:

" I am cautiously optimistic and very intrigued. Maybe this will be the return of the Gameboy name? I can't wait to see this demoed. Maybe we'll get something at E3? "

Oh man, I would be point of collapse stoked to see "Gameboy HD" one day in the future, alongside " New Super Mario Land HD".   

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.