Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

NDS: the biggest selling console of all time in the UK. Why? How?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Go to Source  

Why has the Nintendo DS become the biggest selling  console in UK history?

The UK's biggest selling console - who would have thought that in 2005...

The news that the Nintendo DS has sold over 10 million units and so beating the PS2 to become the highest selling console in the UK ever – yes, it has even sold more than the Dreamcast – was not entirely unexpected. After all, this is the console that has really broken down those gamer/non gamer barriers. The stylus interface, sleek design (not including the plastic monstrosity that was the first iteration of course) and celeb-friendly marketing have all helped. Less happily for Nintendo piracy and the widespread use of R4 storage cards has also contributed. But it has been the software, as usual, that has really driven the DS' success. Brain Training and its sequels alone have probably accounted for half of those 10 million sales. Along with Sudoku, crosswords and puzzle titles – Professor Layton in particular – the DS has become the handheld games console for everyone. Well, nearly everyone.

Hardcore gamers have often been turned off by the barrage of puzzle party minigame releases and there is no doubt Sony's PSP is the better bet for this audience. But recent titles like the latest Zelda game will appeal to veteran gamers while the marvellous Korg DS-10 music software proves the DS is far from just a toy.

That is just one country, but it is only a matter of time before that spreads to other countries and before the end of the DS life, it will overtake the PS2 worldwide.  Who would have thought that?  Not even me. 

I don't agree with this writer about the traditional gamers being better catered for by the PSP.  It ignores a very large library of RPG for a start.  The PSP is better for sport however.  Quite an accomplishment for there to be one DS for every 6 people in the UK, a ratio that probably beats the Japanese one.    

As for the why, because it is such a great console and does everything you expect it to do.  As for how, because it has so many games that appeal to so many people.  Marketing and delivery at its finest.  Nest comes the DSi XL to bring in your grandparents  ^-^

Well done my relatives in the UK.  You have shown the way.  How many UK members are in this club?
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Manatassi

Um the DS is dirt cheap and its a handheld of course its going to sell well especially given the broad appeal of the games on it.  

Its not really fair to place it in the same sales bracket as home consoles. Especially as with many families there are 4 DS in my house right now. Two are classics and 2 are DS lights. Depending on how may kids a family has thats allot of DS. Most people don't buy every kid and themselves a Wii, 360 or PS3.  

The DS is clearly the best handheld console on the market for a broad audience. The only competition is the PSP which is targeted at a smaller demographic and way more pricey.  

I would bring up the iPhone and iPod Touch however. We have 2 iPod touch in the house and 2 iPhones. All used to play handheld games. I personally know more people with an iPhone than people with DS.   

But aside from that, well done Nintendo the DS is a great handheld I really like mine :) 

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Steve_C

It's all Ant & Dec's doing. They just love the Wii and DS.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus
    The DS appeals to everyone, of coarse it's the higest selling system out there, you really didn't see it comming?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @TooWalrus said:
    "The DS appeals to everyone, of coarse it's the higest selling system out there, you really didn't see it comming?"
    Not against the PS2, no.   

@Manatassi said:
    " Um the DS is dirt cheap and its a handheld of course its going to sell well especially given the broad appeal of the games on it.   Its not really fair to place it in the same sales bracket as home consoles. Especially as with many families there are 4 DS in my house right now. Two are classics and 2 are DS lights. Depending on how may kids a family has thats allot of DS. Most people don't buy every kid and themselves a Wii, 360 or PS3. "
    That didn't get the GBA there under the same criteria.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ryanwho

I love my DS. Its got a bunch of Castlevania games and lower budget RPGs that don't suck. I don't know how anyone who owns a DS could be baffled by its popularity. Its all that, son.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Gruff182

Everyone and there Nan has one here. Just a small % still buy games though.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @Gruff182 said:
    " Everyone and there Nan has one here. Just a small % still buy games though. "
    I think the sales of games disputes that.  I think the small % are still the pirates and the ones who just bought a Brain Training game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.