Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Nintendo Say No To Skype On DSi

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    No Caption Provided
    The recent rumours of SKYPE heading to Nintendo DSi have been dismissed by Nintendo. The VoIP application has proved popular on PSP and iPhone, but will not be coming to the Nintendo DSi despite it's success.

A spokesperson for SKYPE recently said the following:

"Whilst we can't comment on any future plans to bring Skype to Nintendo's DSi, it would technically be possible. [ The company has a strategy of ] extending the Skype infrastructure and platform to bring Skype functionality wherever, whenever, and on whatever device or site people choose to use it."

A Nintendo representative responded promptly:
    "We have no plans to release a Skype application for Nintendo DS or DSi.

SKYPE has 17,000,000 users online since launching in 2003, so the question is, are Nintendo missing a prime opportunity here, and if so why?. Or maybe that's obvious : /

Thanks to DigitalSpy

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Anyone using Skype on the DSi is using it for the wrong reasons.

CoIin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By CoIin

Nintendo 1999 "We think internet gaming is a fad."

Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Computerplayer1
    TooWalrus said:
    "Anyone using Skype on the DSi is using it for the wrong reasons."
    Hahahaha. Well done, sir.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

That about sums it up really :)

There's just no way Nintendo would add an application that could possibly be abused by pedophiles looking to groom innocent young users. Perhaps the people at Skype could put measures in place that could help prevent the likelihood of that happening.

My hope Nintendo themselves create a service of their own that can be used. I would ditch Wii Speak and use my DSi instead while gaming, it does have a headset after all.

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By coughlanio

They could do a client via DSiWare, and charge 200 points for it or something, I'm sure alot would buy it.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

TotallyEpic said:
    "They could do a client via DSiWare, and charge 200 points for it or something, I'm sure alot would buy it."

It's not a issue with whether it would sell or not (it would sell healthily), but more an issue of child safety.

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By coughlanio
    Linkyshinks said:
    "
    TotallyEpic said:
    "They could do a client via DSiWare, and charge 200 points for it or something, I'm sure alot would buy it."
    It's not a issue with whether it would sell or not (it would sell healthily), but more an issue of child safety. "
    I seriously hate that arguement.

I've used Yahoo Messenger and MSN since I was 9 years old, and I have never been molested (At least not in a bad way *winks*).

Isn't there Parental Control in the DSi (I have one but cant remember), that could be set to not allow IM and VOIP clients. If anything I would find PictoChat to be more of a risk, I'm suprised Paedos dont sit around shopping malls and urban areas just waiting for a kid to pop in.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By oldschool
    TotallyEpic said:
    "Linkyshinks said:
    "
    TotallyEpic said:
    It's not a issue with whether it would sell or not (it would sell healthily), but more an issue of child safety. "
    I seriously hate that arguement. I've used Yahoo Messenger and MSN since I was 9 years old, and I have never been molested (At least not in a bad way *winks*).Isn't there Parental Control in the DSi (I have one but cant remember), that could be set to not allow IM and VOIP clients. If anything I would find PictoChat to be more of a risk, I'm suprised Paedos dont sit around shopping malls and urban areas just waiting for a kid to pop in."
    You can't argue that the horse has already bolted.  However, with the number of DSi likely to be on the market, I think most parents would prefer that this isn't an option.  More important though, it is a parent' job to raise their children, not Nintendo, Skype or the government.  They always have the option of NOT installing it.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

And in other news, Nintendo has officially announced that they are mentally retarded.

NOT bringing Skype to the DSi?  That's like saying you aren't going to have jelly with your peanut butter sandwich!!!  That's like biscuits with gravy!!!  THAT'S LIKE FUCKING WITH A CONDOM!!!  It makes no sense...

>.>   <.<   O.O
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    jakob187 said:
    "And in other news, Nintendo has officially announced that they are mentally retarded.

NOT bringing Skype to the DSi?  That's like saying you aren't going to have jelly with your peanut butter sandwich!!!  That's like biscuits with gravy!!!  THAT'S LIKE FUCKING WITH A CONDOM!!!  It makes no sense...

>.>   <.<   O.O
    "
    Okay, two of those outside America make no sense.  Who the hell has jam (jelly) with peanut butter?  Who the hell has biscuits (cookies) with gravy?  I am confused :-)

But yes, if it can be done, there is no reason for it not to be  done, especially considering the DSi is marketed at young women, who would really use it (amongst others who would as well).
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
    oldschool said:
    "Okay, two of those outside America make no sense.  Who the hell has jam (jelly) with peanut butter?  Who the hell has biscuits (cookies) with gravy?  I am confused :-)"
    YOU'RE confused?!  Who in the hell WOULDN'T put jelly with their peanut butter sandwich?  That's one of the most amazing things on the planet!!!  Gravy and biscuits?!  The fuckin BOMB...especially with some eggs and bacon!!!  NOM NOM NOM!!!

Then again...a LOT of stuff outside of America doesn't make sense...like preparing a meal inside of a sheep's stomach...or intestine...or whatever it is...or why the hell a "U" is included in color...

...BUT you guys DO say the H in herb...so that's cool.  lol

Either way, all I'm trying to say is that Skype capabilities on the DSi seem like they would be a fucking given, ya know?  I've never used Skype, and I'm sure that it would be kind of senseless for some since they are rockin' iPhones and such, but nonetheless...still...just...man, what a missed opportunity.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    jakob187 said:
    "oldschool said:
    "Okay, two of those outside America make no sense.  Who the hell has jam (jelly) with peanut butter?  Who the hell has biscuits (cookies) with gravy?  I am confused :-)"
    YOU'RE confused?!  Who in the hell WOULDN'T put jelly with their peanut butter sandwich?  That's one of the most amazing things on the planet!!!  Gravy and biscuits?!  The fuckin BOMB...especially with some eggs and bacon!!!  NOM NOM NOM!!!

Then again...a LOT of stuff outside of America doesn't make sense...like preparing a meal inside of a sheep's stomach...or intestine...or whatever it is...or why the hell a "U" is included in color...

Either way, all I'm trying to say is that Skype capabilities on the DSi seem like they would be a fucking given, ya know?  I've never used Skype, and I'm sure that it would be kind of senseless for some since they are rockin' iPhones and such, but nonetheless...still...just...man, what a missed opportunity.
    "
    I just remembered - what we call a scone is what you call a biscuit - right?

Every attempt to launch a peanut butter and jam product in my country has been a horrible failure.  Plus, we hardly ever use peanut butter other than on its own.  We launched a peanut butter Kit Kat Chunky and it was a massive bomb.  I didn't mind it actually and bought a whole box of them on clearance for 10 cents each (that's like 7 cents for you).

Agreed again on the missed opportunity.  Nintendo is too conservative for its own good sometimes.  It needs to be more open to the devil.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
    oldschool said:
    "I just remembered - what we call a scone is what you call a biscuit - right?

Every attempt to launch a peanut butter and jam product in my country has been a horrible failure.  Plus, we hardly ever use peanut butter other than on its own.  We launched a peanut butter Kit Kat Chunky and it was a massive bomb.  I didn't mind it actually and bought a whole box of them on clearance for 10 cents each (that's like 7 cents for you)."
    I have no clue what the hell a "scone" is.  I'd Wikipedia it, but I might have my love of biscuits crushed.

How do people NOT like peanut butter and jelly?  That's just an absolute TRAVESTY!!!  What the hell else do you use peanut butter on?

And a Kit Kat Chunky sounds AMAZING!  I want one!
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    jakob187 said:
    "oldschool said:
    "I just remembered - what we call a scone is what you call a biscuit - right?

Every attempt to launch a peanut butter and jam product in my country has been a horrible failure.  Plus, we hardly ever use peanut butter other than on its own.  We launched a peanut butter Kit Kat Chunky and it was a massive bomb.  I didn't mind it actually and bought a whole box of them on clearance for 10 cents each (that's like 7 cents for you)."
    I have no clue what the hell a "scone" is.  I'd Wikipedia it, but I might have my love of biscuits crushed.

How do people NOT like peanut butter and jelly?  That's just an absolute TRAVESTY!!!  What the hell else do you use peanut butter on?

And a Kit Kat Chunky sounds AMAZING!  I want one!
    "
    A scone is kind of like a hard, thick bread roll, still soft in the middle (but not fluffy soft) but is very English.  It is served with jam and cream.

Peanut butter as a flavour is not real popular here.  It gets a bad rep as the allergy thing kind of makes it a pariah.  It is banned from a lot of schools.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Kinarion

Fire Emblem SD had voice chat; that can't be too much worse.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    Kinarion said:
    "Fire Emblem SD had voice chat; that can't be too much worse."
    You can chat on Pokemon as well.  My daughter was talking on it with a friend - Australia to America.  No, there isn't any real difference.
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By halberdierv2

i think this actually is good for the safety of the target audience from those who have evil intentions.

however, for us older people, this sucks.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PureRok
    oldschool said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "oldschool said:

"
    I just remembered - what we call a scone is what you call a biscuit - right?

Every attempt to launch a peanut butter and jam product in my country has been a horrible failure.  Plus, we hardly ever use peanut butter other than on its own.  We launched a peanut butter Kit Kat Chunky and it was a massive bomb.  I didn't mind it actually and bought a whole box of them on clearance for 10 cents each (that's like 7 cents for you).

Agreed again on the missed opportunity.  Nintendo is too conservative for its own good sometimes.  It needs to be more open to the devil.
    "

From what I've found is your scones are our biscuits. Where I live (North West US) a scone is basically a pancake that's been fried (not quite a pancake, but similar in shape and batter).

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
    Linkyshinks said:
    "
    TotallyEpic said:
    Nintendo's theme song at this point should be Mother by Pink Floyd. I mean seriously Nintendo you are not my mother or parent, and I'm not five years old, so stop treating me as such. Stop trying to shelter me from danger, thats no your job.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
    DarkGamerOO7 said:
    "Linkyshinks said:
    "
    TotallyEpic said:
    Nintendo's theme song at this point should be Mother by Pink Floyd. I mean seriously Nintendo you are not my mother or parent, and I'm not five years old, so stop treating me as such. Stop trying to shelter me from danger, thats no your job."
    Most of us are in agreement on this.  Trouble is, stupid old people and the tabloid media jump all over companies like Nintendo when that aforementioned stupid old person gets in touch with the media.   Nintendo is one of the more image conscious companies I know.  They take it too far.  They should just ignore the stupid old people and simply put out a reasoned statement when these things come up. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.