Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

No flash & hombrew possible on DSi

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Reports from those testing flash carts on DSi suggest Nintendo have blocked access to them by denying auto boot.

When the revised DS model, the DSi, was announced back at the company's fall conference some had speculated that Nintendo would take action this action with flash carts and homebrew on their portable wonder. According to theGBA Temp Forums it's looking worrying for those who do own one of many different types of cart as they now seem to be blocked from access.

For those that do load up onto the DSi's revamped menu, an error appears that prevents the console from accessing the card apparently, but for the majority the card fails to show entirely. Whether or not homebrew folk can override the change is currently uncertain, but given past the performance and mind-numbing speed of the talented guys behind the carts, it shouldn't be too long before DSi owners can run their software once more.

Your thoughts on this move GB?

I should point out that the carts that have failed so far include: CycloDS, G6 DS Real, M3 DS Real, Supercard DS One, iTouch DS, FCard, M3 DS Simply, NCard and U2DS.

synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By synt4x

I suppose that the R4DS wont work either then since the M3 DS Simply doesn't.
    Oh well, I guess I have to keep my old DS then. Not a big deal for me anyway since I didn't plan on selling it. It's a DS Phat, so I wouldn't get much for it anyway.

And yeah, It's always just a matter of time before they crack the protection again. It would be cool if you just needed an SD card to run homebrew, but I guess that's a little too much to hope for.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

There is a difference between old flash carts not working, and Homebrew being disabled.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

The DSi is very unworthwhile which is why i wont pick it up.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Demilich

I was thinking of getting one, since I still have my phat launch DS. But not now. I need my homebrew and crappy pirated games.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I was expecting this. Not a surprise at all.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "The DSi is very unworthwhile which is why i wont pick it up."

The handheld is more catered to Wii owners I think. Nintendo will likely make a wide array of the Gameboy back catalog available to all Wii owners, via the Wii's shopping channel.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Lunarbunny

Personally I'm looking at the DSi simply because I don't have a DS and I've a minimal Advance collection. I'll probably wait for a while to get one though.

synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By synt4x

Oops! It appears that the hackers have managed to run unsigned code on the DSi just three days after the launch. :D
    http://www.infendo.com/nintendo/hello-world-dsi-runs-unsigned-code/

Apparently it works as I hoped it would as I said in my first post in this thread, by booting it from the SD card slot. That's awesome :O

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    synt4x said:
    "Oops! It appears that the hackers have managed to run unsigned code on the DSi just three days after the launch. :D

Apparently it works as I hoped it would as I said in my first post in this thread, by booting it from the SD card slot. That's awesome :O"

It will be a ongoing battle if the DSi requires firmware updates, as I think it will.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_
    synt4x said:
    "Oops! It appears that the hackers have managed to run unsigned code on the DSi just three days after the launch. :D

Apparently it works as I hoped it would as I said in my first post in this thread, by booting it from the SD card slot. That's awesome :O"
    3 days? They're working slowly ;-)
    Jayonestar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayonestar

i agree- with the inclusion of an SD card slot it was obvious they would have thought of this. I'm thinking i might not pick one of thee up also- besides, it's making the handheld even more 'casual', and it's starting to irritate me. I'm stereotyped already no thanks to Nintendo, I don't want things made any worse!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.