Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

This is why I don't like download games and never will.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I don't shy away from the fact that I am not a fan of download games (being why I will never get a PSP Go), and this article only adds to my determination to stick with retail games almost exclusively: 

Official: DSiWare Purchases Cannot Be Transferred to a New Console  (link to original article)   

Nintendo of Australia reveal DSiWare policy

A common question we get asked here at Nintendo Life (and especially since the new DSi colours were announced) reads something like this:

"If someone were to buy a different coloured DSi, can DSiWare purchases be taken from the original DSi and transferred to the new one?"

Well we did a bit of digging for you, and talking to the kind folks over at Nintendo of Australia, found out that the official policy on transferring purchases made on a DSi console.

Basically, you can't.

Any purchases made cannot be transferred to a new console, even if it looks prettier.

There are exceptions to the rule - they are more than happy to transfer those purchases if the original console is in an unplayable condition. They have special kits that enable them to find out what has been downloaded to the DSi without having to turn the system on. They also said that in order for them to transfer from one to another, they need both consoles in their possession.

So there you have it folks, while we only have this confirmed by Nintendo of Australia, it wouldn't be surprising if Europe and North America had similar, if not identical policies regarding transferring of data. We only wish we had happier news to give!   

So, what happened to "owning" a game?  Can't give it a friend.  Can't sell it if I get sick of it.  Can't even play it on any of my other consoles that may come my way.   Only if I break my console and only when I send both of them to the Nintendo office (with the postage costs) can I transfer them.  Sorry, not for me.  I will keep this in mind for all future DSiWare games - meaning I will rarely ever buy them.  

Sure, I understand the reasoning - trying to share games around, but there has to be a better way.  Even a simple data transfer system where it deletes the file as you transfer it to the new console can't be that hard.

Anyone else find this annoying?
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By VWGTI

Hell yea that's annoying. You should have a right to use what you purchased as many times as you liked. The reason they did that was to prevent kids from buying a game and then re-downloading it on all of their friends DS's. So I can kind of agree with what they're doing.

However, what Steam is doing is the ideal way to do digital distribution. The PS3 is also pretty good as you're able to download purchased titles on more than one machine up to 7 times.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @VWGTI said:
    " Hell yea that's annoying. You should have a right to use what you purchased as many times as you liked. The reason they did that was to prevent kids from buying a game and then re-downloading it on all of their friends DS's. So I can kind of agree with what they're doing. However, what Steam is doing is the ideal way to do digital distribution. The PS3 is also pretty good as you're able to download purchased titles on more than one machine up to 7 times. "
    Do you agree that software that deletes a game after it is transferred would solve what should be a simple problem?  
    church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By church069

It seems like consoles are still trying to find a way to handle their download services.  Every one of them seems to have a major flaw that makes them unappealing.  PSN has the download limit, for XBL you have to be online and signed-in if you are on a different console from where you made the purchased, and the information here just given in the article for the DSi. 

I believe that steam is the closes download service to get everything right, but it's still not a tangible product.  But that then just comes down to personal preference.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

I've downloaded quite a few games for the Xbox Live Arcade in the past year but the downloadable format isn't something that I'm too proud of. Where possible I'll go out to buy old games for their original consoles instead of on the Virtual Console or whatever, for the reasons you've already given and the fact that it feels better for me to have a hard copy in my collection. It irks me that I don't have a case or at least hard copy in cartridge or disc form for games like Braid, Megaman 9, Portal... even if I'm able to transfer them to the Xbox 720 or whatever, it doesn't feel so good since the game isn't truly in my own hands.

I definitely hope that services like Steam don't become the standard for full console titles and everything. Digital distribution is cool for those who like to get their games quickly without having to scour several stores or whatever, but it shouldn't be forced on everyone.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VWGTI
    @oldschool: 

I actually think that is a brilliant solution.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By luce

physical copy for the wins

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By toowalrus

You say "This is why I don't download games and I never will," but what if they changed this rule for the next generation of handhelds or consoles? Would you buy downloadable games then? (Personally I'm with you, but for different reasons).

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Emilio

They need to implement a service that keeps your game account on an external server. You can download games on your machine, but if you want to play them on a friend's system or a new machine, you just log in again and re download. If you log back in to your own machine, it expires your log in ticket a friend's machine, making anything you downloaded inaccessible unless you log in again.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Darkstar614

I like physically owning games too, but I wouldn't just give them away or sell them if they are/were good games. The game developers need to make money, which selling games back / trading them / whatever, does not help in the slightest. By selling it, you basically didn't pay for it at the end of the road. Talk to most game developers and they'll tell you that they hate Gamestop for basically making money off their games. When all this stuff starts becoming just Digital copies of games, Gamestop goes bye-bye. And Developers make more money, and therefore make more or better games.

So yes I'm all for digital copies of games but this shit seriously needs to be ACCOUNT BASED(like Steam). The games being tied to the console is really dumb as the OP shows. Wtf Nintendo...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @TooWalrus said:
    " You say "This is why I don't download games and I never will," but what if they changed this rule for the next generation of handhelds or consoles? Would you buy downloadable games then? (Personally I'm with you, but for different reasons). "
    Actually, that line was an exaggeration, as I downloaded 2 games for the DSi, but I guess they don't count as they were with the free points.  If I really wanted a game - possibly Dragon Quest Wars, then I may make an exception. 

If they made the game mine, I mean, really mine, meaning I could sell it (using the once transferred it is deleted idea), then possibly.  I still prefer my bookcase and hard copy, retail game collection though.  I like it that way.  What are your reasons?
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus
    @oldschool: Personally I like having the physical copy, I like having a shelf full of games. I like knowing that if I get tired of a game, I can sell it online and get some of my money back, and it won't just sit there useless forever on a hard drive. There have been a few times where I needed cash, so I went through my backlog of outdated games and got rid of what I haven't played in 3 years+
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond

For what it's worth, this is a problem limited to DS & to a certain extent Wii.

Even on 360, PS3, and PC it's a scary prospect to lose all your purchases.  I have lost things I bought on the EA Store on PC...

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Metroid545

Physical copy reigns supreme

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Meltac

The thing with download games, is that it lets you try games, that wouldn't get published on disc. For example Braid, which I thought was a great game, and I tried it because it was a download game. Kinda tired atm, so sorry if it doesn't make any sense =P but download games gives you the opportunity to try different, small and creative games, that you normally wouldn't. Death Spank is a example too, or 'Splosion Man, or Trine etc etc

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By carlthenimrod

This is more of a Nintendo problem then anything. Downloaded games work find on Steam and XBL. Saves a ton of physical space. I own a lot of physical copies of games but it truly is a waste of space. If I could slap them all on a 1 TB HDD and be done with it I would.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    @Meltac said:
    " The thing with download games, is that it lets you try games, that wouldn't get published on disc. For example Braid, which I thought was a great game, and I tried it because it was a download game. Kinda tired atm, so sorry if it doesn't make any sense =P but download games gives you the opportunity to try different, small and creative games, that you normally wouldn't. Death Spank is a example too, or 'Splosion Man, or Trine etc etc "
    It is a good point.  This does give small developers an opportunity otherwise not afforded to them.  Thing is, they need to be quite cheap for me to try it out.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By AgentJ

I agree, and I would much prefer that "Risky's Revenge" was released in cartridge form. Unfortunately, Wayforward probably wouldn't be able to release the game in stores, so I'll take it where I can get it. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.