Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

This makes me want Homebrew for my DS.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

I admit that I am fascinated by what geeks do and this really caught my attention:

Permalink   (link to original article)

screen capture images by Pixelh8

Though chip music made via handheld gaming devices is nigh synonymous with Nintendo’s Gameboy line, renowned artist/composer/programmer/honourary GeekDad Matthew Applegate – more widely known as Pixelh8 – has just released a brand new module that looks to change this. The Music Tech Master Stroke software is instead designed for Nintendo’s popular follow-up, the DS. Yet, unlike other homebrew and officially released DS music applications, which are typically sequencers, it is instead a live performance tool.

Using the system’s unique touch screen interface,  Master Stroke  allows musicians to tweak things like pan and volume options on the fly, while still using the d-pad, face and shoulder buttons to make sweet, chippy music. Other new features, like the whammy function, similarly employ the touch interface to supplement Pixelh8’s traditional Music Tech program design in a number of exciting ways. Thankfully, this module also comes in at the same price point at its forebears:  free .

Master Stroke even includes a xylophone mode, the inclusion of which Matthew attributes to his daughter:

Originally it wasn’t going to have Xylophone Mode (just the old directional button play mode) but my daughter who is brilliant as Glockenspiel wanted something to practice on while in the car so I added that in for her, she’s one of my BETA testers and I am a very Geeky Dad so I had to do it .

The beta version of Master Stroke, recently released in conjunction with Sound Network’s  Interface Amnesty, is currently freely available from  Pixelh8’s site. Though only “95% complete,” Matthew plans to resume work on it following the release of his forthcoming album And the Revolution. Until that time, the next generation of electronic musicians is actively encouraged to create, experiment and share using this next generation instrument. 

I only recently heard of  a term in the music industry called "Nintendo Core",     Nintendocore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia   which apparently is bands using Gameboy and 8bit music as part of their show.  There is a punk band (forgotten the name) that uses it, so it isn't confined to techno.   Just like Korg DS, this looks awesome and a fun toy.

Anyone with Homebrew willing to try it and review it?
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Marzy

I will download it now and post my thoughts on it later. :)

Thanks for posting this up Oldschool.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @Marzy said:
    " I will download it now and post my thoughts on it later. :)  Thanks for posting this up Oldschool. "
    You are welcome Marzy  ^_^ 

I look forward to your thoughts.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emilio

That's pretty awesome!  

Is there file export? As In, can I record something, save it, then send it to my computer via SD? 

I with the Korg DS had that. :(

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Emilio said:
    " That's pretty awesome!   Is there file export? As In, can I record something, save it, then send it to my computer via SD?  I with the Korg DS had that. :( "
    Interesting question.  Considering they were connecting the old Gameboy to all sorts of electronic devices, I would be surprised if there wasn't some sort of data transfer method.   It does mention sharing at the end of the article - could be a clue.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

Doesn't the DSi use an SD card? Is it possible to run it off that instead? I know that some PSP users do that (providing they have homebrew anyway).

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Marzy

It does have 3 slots, but I'm not sure how it works. I'll have to spend some more time with it, I'm a bit baffled by it so far. ^_^;

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @Marzy said:
    " It does have 3 slots, but I'm not sure how it works. I'll have to spend some more time with it, I'm a bit baffled by it so far. ^_^; "
    At least you're keeping yourself busy  ^_^ 

Have fun figuring it out. 

@eroticfishcake said:
    " Doesn't the DSi use an SD card? Is it possible to run it off that instead? I know that some PSP users do that (providing they have homebrew anyway). "
    I am pretty sure that is how it does work with the DSi (using a flash card in the slot I assume).
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ

That's the only reason? I want it because I'll be able to play games in english that otherwise wouldn't be playable

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " That's the only reason? I want it because I'll be able to play games in english that otherwise wouldn't be playable "
    Agreed, I have looked at the mods that convert some games into English, like Soma Bringer, and that wold be beyond awesome.  I still enjoyed playing though.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

It looks boring & sounds primitive. I'm not sure what is driving everyone's excitement on this.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " It looks boring & sounds primitive. I'm not sure what is driving everyone's excitement on this. "
    It looks like a cool toy.  I suppose it depends whether you like tinkering with music.  Not for everyone is fair enough.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman

@oldschool:
    You can pretty easily buy a device to play stuff like this for less than $25. Like here for example. That's the site I bought mine and it works great, you can just drag and drop files. Of course the shipping may add a little more onto the price tag.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @JJWeatherman said:
    "  @oldschool:
    You can pretty easily buy a device to play stuff like this for less than $25. Like here for example. That's the site I bought mine and it works great, you can just drag and drop files. Of course the shipping may add a little more onto the price tag. "
    Thank you very much for that handy link JJ.  Me like very much.  Shipping is $22, but I can live with that.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman

I just messed around with this program and after playing with both this and Korg, I think Korg is better. I'll admit right now that I basically have no experience or know-how with things like this. Just going off of first impressions though they seem very similar except Korg seems like the much better option. Korg has a lot of the same options as this program and then some. The layout in Korg is also better in my opinion. It's slightly more complicated with all it's features but it's more clear on what things do after you spend a little time with it. Anyways, as I mentioned I'm far from qualified to judge these but Korg seems like the superior option after playing with each of them for a while. Maybe the finished version will be more fully-featured.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @oldschool said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " It looks boring & sounds primitive. I'm not sure what is driving everyone's excitement on this. "
    It looks like a cool toy.  I suppose it depends whether you like tinkering with music.  Not for everyone is fair enough. "
    I already own FruityLoops XXL with lifetime free upgrades, so for me it wouldn't apply.  If you're interested in making music with electronic toys, you should look into those kinds of software.  You can always plug in your DS as its own instrument in its own channel, but by the time you explore the bigger products out there, you may not care to.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    It looks like a cool toy.  I suppose it depends whether you like tinkering with music.  Not for everyone is fair enough. "
    I already own FruityLoops XXL with lifetime free upgrades, so for me it wouldn't apply.  If you're interested in making music with electronic toys, you should look into those kinds of software.  You can always plug in your DS as its own instrument in its own channel, but by the time you explore the bigger products out there, you may not care to. "
    Even just mucking about with Garage Band on my Mac is fun.  Truth is, I am not musically gifted, in fact, I am crap.  I just like to fiddle.  With the DS, it is more about being able to muck about away from the computer.  The computer will always win for quality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.