Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

UMD vs Online games

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

So what do you guys think?  I was just reading about the new PSP-GO & how it doesn't support the UMD cartridges, it's online only.  On the downside, you can't get the cheap prices from used/marked-down UMB disks that one can normally find.  However, on the upside, if a game is discontinued, you don't see these extreme $70 prices for old or used versions of the old games.

I've basically found that old games on the DS (perhaps also the PSP) are extremely high priced, compared to old games on Consoles or PCs.  So it might be favorable to have the online service, but it eliminates the used market & having a touchy/feely product.  I'm sort of at a disadvantage here though since I bought a DS lite, not the wireless one.

I was surprised to see the PSPGo toss out the UMD feature, so it leads me to believe they only want new customers to use it, rather than allowing it to work with the old UMB system & online at the same time.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ImperiousRix

I personally feel like the whole Sony booting the UMD has something to do with how you can (or perhaps more accurately) actually carry around a brace of UMDs.  With the DS, the cartridges are so small that I can carry around about ten games and pop them in and out of my DS with relative ease.  It's pretty goddamn hard to drag more than one UMD around.  This is a problem when your focus is to make a portable system.  Hence, I believe that's why this PSP is called the PSPgo because you can actually GO somewhere with it.

Nintendo's got a pretty decent thing going with it's mini-carts, and I have to believe they won't fully convert to DL-able games any time soon, but it made a lot of sense for the PSP to begin marketing itself as a purely DLC system.

pictoben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pictoben

I agree with most of the points here - yes the companies are trying to mimise the market for used-games at retail. I think a lot of these moves are motivated by Nintendo and Sony trying to compete with the ipod / iphone (not that it's anywhere as near being genuine competition for pure gaming as everyone seems to think it is). 

Yeah, DS carts are a doddle to carry. The main issue with carrying a batch of UMDs around is that they RATTLE like you wouldn't beleive. 

Sony does seem to be trying to figure out their pricing in all fairness, I've noticed that Riviera (an old rpg port) which hit PSN for about £23 in the UK last month, has now been dropped in price to £14 after the big October revamp. They've also started publishing the DL versions of new releases at £23 rather than the full whack £30 they originally experimented with (though some third parties are still in at the full 30 notes). 

Going forwards we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out I suppose. It is nice to be able to just think "oh, I'll play a bit of that", and it just be there though - it is trying to be the ipod of gaming, but is 16Gb enough memory? 

As for the DSi downloads, well I can't really comment - it's been MONTHs and they're still yet to post anything thats a full game (that isn't a port of an iphone app). Where is all the SNES emulation? I'd take their arm off for a dl copy of super mario world to play on it. Come on Ninty, sort it out.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike
    @ImperiousRix: I don't think Sony gives a crap about how portable the PSP is. This is all about money, in my opinion. They're going to sell you downloadable games at full retail price...that's a lot more profitable than going through the whole manufacturing, printing, and distributing process.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @Lind_L_Taylor: It really depends on what game you are talking about. Most of the popular old stuff on the systems can be found relatively cheaply, but cult hits (Etrian Odyssey for example) do get their prices jacked up.  

Also, the Ds LIte is wireless. It just can't download DSi games.
    CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By CountRockula

My hope is that going into downloadable games in a big way will allow companies to be more flexible with their pricing on stuff.  I seem to remember at GDC or some other show earlier this year, someone from Valve was talking about how they'd been kind of experimenting with special sales and promotions on Steam to boost sales, and it sounds like it's been really successful.  Hopefully others will start to take cues from this.  In fact, just this week NIS put a bunch of its downloadable PSP titles on sale for half off.  If that kind of thing really takes off, the loss of the used market might not be quite so bad.

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Karmann

I have over 20 games on umd, I will NOT be getting a Go. 
    It's also way too expensive.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor: It really depends on what game you are talking about. Most of the popular old stuff on the systems can be found relatively cheaply, but cult hits (Etrian Odyssey for example) do get their prices jacked up.   Also, the Ds LIte is wireless. It just can't download DSi games. "
    Well I had looked at Amazon's used prices & found quite a bit of the old games at higher price points.  If the old game was just the cartridge only, no manual or case, then yeah, the price was pretty cheap. If it included everything, add $30-$50 to the price tag.  Even Gameboy Advance games were really high-priced for a complete game (not just a cartridge with the label ripped off or spit on, selling for $5).

I think they'll start off with lower prices for the DL games at first to get people on board, reasoning that since they don't have to produce cases, art, cartridges, & distribution & pass the savings on to the consumer.....but eventually they'll start jacking the prices up, if inflation cuts into profit or profit losses occur.  Also, as the traditional physical/distribution process fades away, it would be more costly to return to that format down the road.

However, if enough devices offer various DL games, the competition could keep the prices down, then it boils down to the exclusives or IP/franchised content once again.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @Lind_L_Taylor: I don't know about all of that. Part of the reason why the games on PSPGO are so expensive right now is because Sony is trying to avoid cannibalizing the UMD market. If they make everything cheaper on the GO, then more people will stop buying games in retail stores. This is what the companies in Europe and Australia that decided not to stock PSPGOs are worried about. 
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @AgentJ said:
    " @Lind_L_Taylor: I don't know about all of that. Part of the reason why the games on PSPGO are so expensive right now is because Sony is trying to avoid cannibalizing the UMD market. If they make everything cheaper on the GO, then more people will stop buying games in retail stores. This is what the companies in Europe and Australia that decided not to stock PSPGOs are worried about.  "
    That must be the reason everyone is complaining then.  The entire point for most online distribution is to lower the cost & pass on the savings to the customer. So they're not passing on the savings. Not a good business model.  Sorny seems to be jam-packed with Changaholic executives.  Change isn't always a good thing, if it's done too much & without careful thought into what is being changed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.