Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

What are they thinking? 8X Zoom lense for your DSi.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    In what can only be described as "don't use drugs, drugs are bad", Nyko have come out with a cover and 8X Zoom lens for your DSi:

No Caption Provided
    Seriously - WTF?  It looks like something out of my high school science lab.

Is anybody going to be so serious about using the meagre camera on a DSi that they would want to buy one of these?  No idea of the price, but whatever it is - I ain't buying.

Anyone disagree?
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I don't see why anyone would ever buy or use this thing. The camera on the DSi is a piece of junk, it's barely able to capture decent images at 1x magnification, let alone 8x. Here's a picture I took earlier with it...640x480 max. This is in perfect afternoon lighting conditions and the DSi stabilized on top of my car.

And here is a picture of a turkey I took with my cell phone at around the same time, in the same area (around the corner my office). My cell phone camera is garbage too, 1280x960 max.

Maybe I just wanted to show off this turkey I found, but I hope I have demonstrated that the DSi camera is garbage and should never be used by anyone, for anything, ever. Unless you're a five year old girl and don't know the difference, then it's fine.

No Caption Provided

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Yit
    @MB:

Wait, wut.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool
    @MB said:
    " I don't see why anyone would ever buy or use this thing. The camera on the DSi is a piece of junk, it's barely able to capture decent images at 1x magnification, let alone 8x. Here's a picture I took earlier with it...640x480 max. This is in perfect afternoon lighting conditions and the DSi stabilized on top of my car.

And here is a picture of a turkey I took with my cell phone at around the same time, in the same area (around the corner my office). My cell phone camera is garbage too, 1280x960 max.

Maybe I just wanted to show off this turkey I found, but I hope I have demonstrated that the DSi camera is garbage and should never be used by anyone, for anything, ever. Unless you're a five year old girl and don't know the difference, then it's fine."
    I agree that the DSi camera is barely functional.  It should never be used for anything other than some harmless fun on the DSi, or by game developers if it fits into the game.  I think you are being just a little harsh though - not a lot though  :-)

The whole idea of an 8X zoom on such a perfunctory camera is just plain stupid though.  It can only lead to a lighter wallet and looks leading to embarrassment due to the ridiculous erection your DS seems to have developed.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

lol, wow!, never thought I would ever see anything like that on a DSi.

It looks like a joke.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " lol, wow!, never thought I would ever see anything like that on a DSi. It looks like a joke. "
    Looks?

It is a joke - right?  Clearly a boy DSi  :-)
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

It'd be hilarious to see someone with one of those. So horrible....Wow...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The picture of the Turkey didn't look to bad, but I`m pretty sure Nintendo just put the Camera in the DSi just to say "We have a camera in the new DSi"

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " The picture of the Turkey didn't look to bad, but I`m pretty sure Nintendo just put the Camera in the DSi just to say "We have a camera in the new DSi" "
    I wouldn't go that far.  If they were looking at that, they would have used a better camera.  I think it is more about potential game use and therefore, power is not meant to be critical.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

I think it should exist, but its not on my short list...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " I think it should exist, but its not on my short list... "
    Just becasue you can, doesn't mean you should  :-)
    Dude_What

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Dude_What

There's an equivalently awful one for the iPhone, but it's a "telephoto" (i.e. no zoom, just 8x all day everyday).  The DSi camera is all about games, not twit-pics of hobos fighting.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    @Dude_What said:
    " There's an equivalently awful one for the iPhone, but it's a "telephoto" (i.e. no zoom, just 8x all day everyday).  The DSi camera is all about games, not twit-pics of hobos fighting. "
    Why not a game of hobos fighting?  It would be called Hoboz of course, and released by Ubisoft  :-)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.