Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Who traded in their DS Lite for a DSi? What about the GBA slot?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Locally, EB games are still offering a trade in with the DS Lite for a DSi.  Forgive my Australian dollars figures here, but this is what they are offering:

A DSi costs $300.
    A DS Lite costs $200 (usually bundled with a game).

Trade in the DS Lite and get the DSi for $175.
    The trade in value of the DS Lite is $125

I suppose getting $125 back on a DS isn't a bad deal.  Thing is, I really want both as I want my Lite for the GBA slot.  Sure, I can't remember the last time I played a GBA game.  It was at least a year ago, but without a doubt, I will get the urge again, so it is important to me.  

Plus, the GBA slot did get a workout last year on Guitar Hero and I actually do use the Rumble Pack, mainly with Metroid Pinball.

So who traded up?  Who kept the Lite for the GBA slot and got a DSi as well?  Who still uses the GBA slot, and what for?
    Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Mercator

I did, I got 90 USD for my DS Lite at the local Game Crazy, considering a new DS Lite goes for 130 USD, and mine had a broken hinge, I figured 90 in return was pretty nice.

I have a Gameboy Micro that i play GBA games on...and I love that little thing. So I never used the GBA slot anyway.

As far as asscessories, I will never play that guitar hero game, and the rumble features dont interest me. I love the DSi...its super loud.

DSi Ware isnt great now, maybe its more exciting in your region, i dont know...but i am sure itll get a title or two worth checking out in 6 months or so. I loved the color, loved the louder speakers and the matte finish. Considering the amount of time i play my DS, and the broken hinge on mine and the 90 dollar trade in value...it was a pretty easy choice for me.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool

I can see your very good reasoning for the trade-in when taking into account the damage.  Damn my being careful with my stuff :-)  Both my Lites are in very good condition, so it is less attractive for me.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Cirdain

Wasn't there a yoshi game for the GBA that uses accelerometers hidden in their own fancy GBA card?

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Eelcire

I must have my Super Puzzle Fighter on GBA, so for that reason alone I have not upgraded (plus I still enjoy the occasional Drill Dozer). That and I really don't care for cameras on devices.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    Cirdain said:
    "Wasn't there a yoshi game for the GBA that uses accelerometers hidden in their own fancy GBA card? "
     Yoshi's Universal Gravitation if I recall.  I remember it being pretty ordinary and I bypassed it.
    Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

I have 2 DS systems and a DSi. I had to confiscate the 2 DS systems from my boys because of grade issues...... and believe me this just drove them nuts.

Edit: The DSi is mine and i love it. Not really worried about losing the GBA slot because i have the adapter thing for the game cube.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    ValkyrieGoddess said:
    "I have 2 DS systems and a DSi. I had to confiscate the 2 DS systems from my boys because of grade issues...... and believe me this just drove them nuts."
    Ooohhh, a tough love mum :P  

I never use the DS as a bargaining tool with my daughters.  Plenty of other things that bring them into line.  So the DSLs are for them and the DSi for you?

The government are just about to give me $2900 dollars and they want me to spend it (part of the stimulous package).  I should spend it on a DSi.
    Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

My boys are video game junkies just like me.... But it really does kinda' bother me to take things away from my Autistic son. He dosen't make connections very well and he gets upset very quickly.
    I also confiscated there Wii. Not having much fun with that though...

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Hector

I kept my DS Lite and still bought the DSi!

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By mracoon

I don't really think it's worth getting the DSi, there isn't enough new stuff that I actually want to interest me into buying it. Maybe when there's a good library of downloadable games then I'll get it but right now my DS Fat is fine with me.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    ValkyrieGoddess said:
    "My boys are video game junkies just like me.... But it really does kinda' bother me to take things away from my Autistic son. He dosen't make connections very well and he gets upset very quickly.I also confiscated there Wii. Not having much fun with that though..."
    No such thing as a video game junkie, just someone who has fun.

I get really cross when I have to take stuff off my daughters.  I get angry that they made me do it.  After all, who else am I going to play Super Smash Bros with if they are banned?  I end up punishing me :-(  That is why I use the iMac, Macbook and internet as my big stick.

I don't know the level of autism of your son obviously, but many a non-autistic kid gets upset very quickly and dives straight into irrational and emotional tantrums when you take away their game system as well.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Godwind

Don't you have like 4 DSlites?  I don't think it should be an issue to get a new DSi.  Just get one.  You also have $2900 to play around with.  I think you are in a position to experiment.  As for a GBA game, I have my Gamecube+Gameboy player, a device compatiable with GBA, GBC and GB games.  I'm sure you can pick up that stuff at an inexpensive price.

Also, do you have a portal music player?  Do you have a portable camera?  Can record voice devices?  Do you want DSi ware games?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb

You still have EB games? I thought they were all bought out.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    BiggerBomb said:
    "You still have EB games? I thought they were all bought out."
    It is THE main game store still in Australia.  I have no idea who owns them here.  In my state, we have just one single Game store.  At least it adds competition in that city, but it is 3 hours away from me.

Godwind said:
    "Don't you have like 4 DSlites?  I don't think it should be an issue to get a new DSi.  Just get one.  You also have $2900 to play around with.  I think you are in a position to experiment.  As for a GBA game, I have my Gamecube+Gameboy player, a device compatiable with GBA, GBC and GB games.  I'm sure you can pick up that stuff at an inexpensive price.Also, do you have a portal music player?  Do you have a portable camera?  Can record voice devices?  Do you want DSi ware games?"
    2 Phat and 2 Lite.  I get 2 of everything.  (PSP, Gamecube, Wii, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBA Micro).  When I build my ark, I am all set :-)  Always keep that in perspective that at least 3 of us are playing games at any time and it is great for multiplayer in our home.  I still use my Gameboy Player - that piece of equipment is awesome.

I will eventually get 2 DSi, but I really want to wait for colours.  Dark blue or red would be cool.  Don't know if I can wait that long though.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Godwind
    oldschool said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    It is THE main game store still in Australia.  I have no idea who owns them here.  In my state, we have just one single Game store.  At least it adds competition in that city, but it is 3 hours away from me.

Godwind said:
    "Don't you have like 4 DSlites?  I don't think it should be an issue to get a new DSi.  Just get one.  You also have $2900 to play around with.  I think you are in a position to experiment.  As for a GBA game, I have my Gamecube+Gameboy player, a device compatiable with GBA, GBC and GB games.  I'm sure you can pick up that stuff at an inexpensive price.Also, do you have a portal music player?  Do you have a portable camera?  Can record voice devices?  Do you want DSi ware games?"
    2 Phat and 2 Lite.  I get 2 of everything.  (PSP, Gamecube, Wii, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, GBA Micro).  When I build my ark, I am all set :-)  Always keep that in perspective that at least 3 of us are playing games at any time and it is great for multiplayer in our home.  I still use my Gameboy Player - that piece of equipment is awesome.

I will eventually get 2 DSi, but I really want to wait for colours.  Dark blue or red would be cool.  Don't know if I can wait that long though.
    "

How about I string up a review for you?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool
    Godwind said:
    "oldschool said:
    "BiggerBomb said:

Godwind said:

"
    How about I string up a review for you?"
    Knock yourself out :-)  I'ii read it.  It won't change anything for me, as I really want it (or 2), and I am only using my depths of self control to wait for colours or bundle packs with a good game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.