Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Compared to other Nintendo systems, what do you think about the output of 1st party exclusives on the Switch?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Compared to other Nintendo systems, what do you think about the output of 1st party exclusives on the Switch? (54 votes)

It's been great! Top tier Nintendo exclusives! 26%
    It's been good/ok, comparable to most of their other consoles. 33%
    It's been disappointing on that front. 24%
    poll 17%

*Obviously, we have to exclude the Virtual Boy right off the bat. *

With so many re-releases of (great) Wii U ports, I think there has been at least some sentiment that 1st party exclusives have been somewhat lacking on the Switch, especially considering it's joined the 100 million units sold club, currently sitting at #5 in the best-selling systems of all time ranking and likely on track to surpass PS4 (#4, about 117mil) and Gameboy (#3, about 119mil.)

Do you think, Nintendo, knowing they could port a bunch of Wii U titles to the Switch, let off the gas a little on the 1st party exclusive front or has the Switch actually had a strong exclusive line-up?

I don't know where ppl land on counting or not counting Breath of the Wild. Personally, I'm ok with counting it but I totally get not counting it.

So here is the list of Switch exclusive 1st party titles so far...(this list includes non-1st party titles using Nintendo IPs)

1. 1-2 Switch
    2. Animal Crossing - New Horizons
    3. ARMS
    4. Astral Chain
    5. Bowser's Fury?
    6. Cadence of Hyrule
    7. Fire Emblem - Three Houses
    8. Game Builder Garage
    9. Hyrule Warriors - Age of Calamity
    10. Kirby Star Allies
    11. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
    12. The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening (Remake)
    13. Luigi's Mansion 3
    14. Mario + Rabbids - Kingdom Battle
    15. Mario Golf - Super Rush
    16. Mario Kart Live
    17. Mario Party Superstars
    18. Mario Tennis Aces
    19. Metroid Dread
    20. Nintendo Labo
    21. Nintendo Switch Sports
    22. Paper Mario - The Origami King
    23. Pokemon Legends - Arceus
    24. Pokemon Let's Go
    25. New Pokemon Snap
    26. Pokemon Sword/Shield
    27. Ring Fit Adventures
    28. Splatoon 2
    29. Super Mario Maker 2
    30. Super Mario Odyssey
    31. Super Mario Party
    32. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
    33. Tetris 99
    34. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    35. Yoshi's Crafted World

non-1st party Switch exclusives to consider

1. Daemon X Machina (timed)
    2. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
    3. Monster Hunter Rise (Timed)
    4. No More Heroes III
    5. Octopath Traverl
    6. Shin Megami Tensei V
    7. Triangle Strategy

I'm probably missed some things but you get the idea.

• 
    cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Mario + Rabids isnt 1st party. Still a great game

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By noboners

@cornfed40: they did say "(this list includes non-1st party titles using Nintendo IPs)" at the top.

I think the 1st party and 1st party adjacent stuff has been what keeps the system afloat for me. Even though Slay the Spire is my most played Switch game, the Nintendo releases are what keep me buying new games on it. And I am perfectly fine buying 3-4 of these games every year, knowing that they are the only 3-4 games I'll buy for the console. Because I've loved most of the ones I've picked up. It does help that I have a partner that enjoys playing Nintendo's multiplayer efforts though.

I also think their recent exclusives are a lot better than those early launch window ones.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noboners: I'm in the same boat. Nintendo puts out roughly 3-4 games each year that I am interested in, and that works for me. Also have a PC though, so I might feel different if Switch was my only platform.

That said, it is still disapointing how many old franchises are not represented. Stuff that used to struggle on Nintendo systems have been doing well on Switch, but they seem slow to realize this. I have little doubt that if they made a new F-Zero, Wave Race, Kid Icarus, Excite Vehicle of some sort, 1080, or God forbid Eternal Darkness, they would easily be the best selling games in their franchises.

El_Blarfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the Switch with the knowledge that I probably would only use it for Nintendo's first party titles and then... that kind of hasn't happened. For whatever reason, Nintendo's releases haven't really done it for me this generation. Mario Odyssey was fine, but I lost interest. Couldn't stand Breath of the WIld. Most other Nintendo titles haven't interested me enough to even check out. Can't really put my finger on why.

I use the Switch more for indies than anything else, but a lot of those games are available on other consoles as well. Portability is the main reason I pick up my Switch at all, rather than any specific titles in the catalogue.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's some stuff missing from the list like Boxboy+Boxgirl and Fire Emblem Warriors.

I think it's hard to compare these things across generations. Games just take more resources now. Compare Sony's output in PS1 and PS2 days to PS4 and PS5. It's a lot less. Then again Nintendo consolidated development from 3DS and Wii U to Switch so you'd think they could have increased their number of games but they didn't really.

My biggest complaint is that the weirder experimental games are almost all gone. The heavy hitter franchises are there and we've even seen new IP, but where are the Pushmos and Harmoknights? I thought they would move to the Switch but they really haven't.

Speaking of which you also left off Super Mario 35. Remember when Nintendo made a Mario game and then killed it for no reason? That was fun.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@bigsocrates: I should’ve put boxboy+boxgirl, I own it. I didn’t put fire emblem warriors cuz it’s on 3DS. I know I omitted some other stuff. It’s not meant to be an exhaustive complete list. Even if it was, someone would find a way to complain about that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the most annoying thing is that the price never seems to go down on the first party stuff, despite being multiple years old.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By GTxForza  Online

To me, it's so good as I love to respect Nintendo because it's a legendary company!

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great. It's the best output they've had since N64. I'm counting BOTW because probably > 90% of people played that on Switch. With Mario Odyssey, it had two GOTY-worthy games in its first year, with Smash coming not long after. Not to mention Metroid Dread, Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario+Rabbids.

I know you're specifically not counting Wii U ports, but since I missed out on Wii U, they may as well be brand-new releases for me. Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze, 3D World are all pretty amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.