Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

IGN: Nintendo to consider mergers and acqusitions

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

After dramatically cutting fiscal year sales forecasts, president Satoru Iwata said Nintendo is looking to new areas for sales, marketing and customers.

"We should abandon old assumptions about our businesses," Iwata told The Nikkei. "We are considering [mergers and acquisitions] as an option. For this reason, we'll step up share buybacks."

Two weeks ago, the company cut the Wii U sales forecast from 9 to 2.8 million units, for the fiscal year ending March 31. Nintendo also cut the projection for 3DS sales, its perennial life boat, from 18 to 13.5 million; both of these revisions change Nintendo's net income projection from a profit to loss.

"We'll change the way we sell products, by managing customer information via the Internet," Iwata told The Nikkei. "We'll offer discounts to steady, regular customers. We'll cultivate emerging markets and launch new businesses in health and other areas. In an emerging country, you can expand the user base only after you offer a product line different from advanced economies in pricing." ..

IGN: Nintendo to Consider Mergers and Acquisitions, Iwata Says

Realistically, but what company can actually afford to support Nintendo, yet have their games stay on Wii U? Like say, if Sony or Microsoft were to help Nintendo out, they would still be considered as a competitor selling on a separate competitive console. I would think selling off IPs would be the first thing to do, before any buyout or merger. And even so, how much is Mario or Zelda worth then? My friend was telling me he would "die" if Super Smash would go to Microsoft. But then, Super Smash is only possible as a concept, featuring all these IPs together, yes? And also, what's to say some random Japanese or Chinese company would actually be the one to step in? I picture some investment company, like how Blackberry did.

But, the part about the Nintendo wanting to acquire a company: I don't even know if that really makes sense. Who would they buy out? Blackberry of all things just to do mobile games? Anyway, what are your thoughts? How much bidding would companies fight over Zelda, or Super Mario Bros.?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

@blu3v3nom07:

They're not talking about merging with Microsoft or Sony. This is referring to the possibility of buying up and merging with third parties, effectively making them first-party.

EDIT: Why did this cut off part of my post when I submitted it? Anyway, the other thing I was going to say was that this article and Nintendo's stated plans make no indication that they're in a mode to start selling off IPs like Mario or Zelda.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Maybe Giant Bomb can afford Nintendo with the new budget.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a misquote. Iwata actually said Murders and Executions.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They were idiots to not acquire Atlus, first of all.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlexGBRO

Nintendo should have got Atlus last year and also Ip/devs/games that were almost done from THQ for 300 mil $ they could have got a lot of stuff (Some say that Microsoft paid epic 100 mil $ for gears ip with no game/studio )

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Darji

omg no please leave Atlus alone.... They rather should go with Platinum games.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I doubt Nintendo will be buying up companies or IPs to solve their current woes, nor will they sell off any of their assets like they did with Rare. However, if Nintendo were to scrounge up enough money to buy EA, that would be fucking hilarious.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

With the amount on complimentary IP Disney controls, I could easily see them buying Nintendo, if all your Star Wars/Marvel/Disney games were exclusive on Nintendo, that would be a huge boost, and Disney could probably make some pretty good movies and TV based on Nintendo properties, Disney would probably be pretty happy with having their own media device in everyone's home too.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Breaking News: Nintendo buys a bunch of third party devs and makes them first party. Puts them all to work on Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, etc.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

With the amount on complimentary IP Disney controls, I could easily see them buying Nintendo, if all your Star Wars/Marvel/Disney games were exclusive on Nintendo, that would be a huge boost, and Disney could probably make some pretty good movies and TV based on Nintendo properties, Disney would probably be pretty happy with having their own media device in everyone's home too.

That can be interesting. I've always thought of Nintendo as the Disney of video games and having Disney buy Nintendo would definitely support that image. I this happens and if Disney makes a sequel to Wreck-It Ralph, Mario, Link, Pikachu and so many other Nintendo characters would make an appearance.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

@marokai said:

They were idiots to not acquire Atlus, first of all.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh... if I were a struggling company, I probably wouldn't go for a niche publisher. Atlus seems to be climbing out of "niche" territory, but acquiring Atlus probably wouldn't have helped them all that much.

After giving this the requisite internet fifteen seconds of thought as I clicked "quote" and started typing, I think this might be a really good scenario for Nintendo.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I heard Giant Bomb is going to hire Nintendo.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Man, so many of the quotes are business jargon bullshit. Nintendo has many problems, but if they focus on a few main ones I think they could do themselves a lot of good. By main problems I mean:

1. Gimmicks

2. Brand Confusion

3. Understanding the Internet

Think of it this way. If Nintendo stopped messing with stupid gimmicks that drive away third parties while adding very little value to the games themselves, stopped confusing the market with their console names (Wii, Wii U, 3DS, 2DS), and created an online infrastructure similar to even what the 360 while potentially catering to small developers like the PS4 and Steam try to do, they might actually turn this ship around. However, it makes sense after the Wii and DS that they think gimmicks are the way to go, but the market has clearly changed and Nintendo needs to be able to change with it if they want to survive.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Breaking News: Nintendo buys a bunch of third party devs and makes them first party. Puts them all to work on Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, etc.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

They should have bought THQ when they had the chance.

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-u/3045-139/forums/what-if-nintendo-had-bought-thq-1444734/

@naru_joe93 said:

No way. Nintendo is usually very stingy about letting third parties touch their franchises (although that appears to be changing). The Wonderful 101 was pitched as a game staring a bunch of Nintendo characters and Nintendo said nope make your own characters.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexGBRO

@dalai: well they already have started something, they got the luigi's mansion 2 developer it was from europe i think, that studio is now nintendo first party, maybe they are going to studios from japan that we don't know about

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I think it was said on the Bombcast (I forget who said it exactly), but Nintendo releasing their games on either Microsofts platforms or Sony's would be just plain crazy! I couldn't imagine Nintendo actually going though with that. Only in dire situations I guess...

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or maybe Nintendo should hire Jeff Green or Danny O'Dwyer.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steelerzfan101: That was more about exclusivity not about bringing games out for other platforms. If they indeed go 3rd party then there is possible no way games will be exclusive to only one system.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By afabs515

@bane122 said:

Well most of the guys I know, who are in mergers and acquisitions, really don't like it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii-u/3045-139/forums/what-if-nintendo-had-bought-thq-1444734/

@ajamafalous said:

@naru_joe93 said:

No way. Nintendo is usually very stingy about letting third parties touch their franchises (although that appears to be changing). The Wonderful 101 was pitched as a game staring a bunch of Nintendo characters and Nintendo said nope make your own characters.

I think it really is changing. Luigis Mansion: Dark Moon was made by a canadian studio not owned by nintendo (but they have a deal where they will only work on nintendo consoles). The same studio made the punchout reboot on wii. Team Ninja made Metroid Other M. Those are the 2 big examples I can think of. Also, my original comment was a joke. Just FYI

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I think it really is changing. Luigis Mansion: Dark Moon was made by a canadian studio not owned by nintendo (but they have a deal where they will only work on nintendo consoles). The same studio made the punchout reboot on wii. Team Ninja made Metroid Other M. Those are the 2 big examples I can think of. Also, my original comment was a joke. Just FYI

Don't worry about it, I don't take any of this shit too seriously. Anyway the partnerships can also be seen with future titles like the Zelda Dynasty Warriors and Namco working on Smash Bros. Things are definitely starting to changing.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@kidavenger said:

After giving this the requisite internet fifteen seconds of thought as I clicked "quote" and started typing, I think this might be a really good scenario for Nintendo.

Yeah, that actually seems like a smart business idea. Disney games exclusive on Nintendo. That will get parents to buy the consoles and provide the fuel for Nintendo's original stuff.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@darthorange said:

@ajamafalous said:

@naru_joe93 said:

Eh? There are some Zelda games made by Capcom, the Metroid Prime Trilogy was made by Retro before Nintendo bought them, and Retro has also made Donkey Kong Country Returns. Way back in the SNES days, Sony was going to make a disc peripheral for the SNES until Nintendo changed their minds (and subsequently made their biggest competitor).

Letting other companies work on Nintendo properties isn't a recent development.

There were also those CD-i Zelda games but we don't talk about those.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

hmmmmm, I'm going to just wildly speculate without any real knowledge and say they are probably going to buy a Pachinko company to help ad diversity to their portfolio. Another video game company would just be more of the same an eventually lead them to dividing up that company which is basically the story of EA and Microsoft.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@dalai said:

@saturdaynightspecials said:

Or maybe Nintendo should hire Jeff Green or Danny O'Dwyer.

I'd play a Danny Kong game.

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@darji: Yeah I guess that would make sense.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger said:

That can be interesting. I've always thought of Nintendo as the Disney of video games and having Disney buy Nintendo would definitely support that image. I this happens and if Disney makes a sequel to Wreck-It Ralph, Mario, Link, Pikachu and so many other Nintendo characters would make an appearance.

Nan, Nintendo might be the most conservative company in this market. No way big shareholders would approve of a Disney buyout. I also don't see Disney paying billions for a company when every buisness analyst in the world will tell them it's run horribly.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By agentboolen

@kidavenger: that would definitely benefit both companies and be very smart. Just think they can do a Mickey meets Mario movie crap like that.... it's gold!!

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope you guys are ready for Valvetendo.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said it before and i will say it again.

Nintendo merger with sega ! and a new console super dreamcast entertainment system.

Im only kind of joking.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@bane122 said:

lol

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xyzygy

Who would they merge with? What would they acquire? I really don't like the possibility of Nintendo becoming a third party developer.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By damodar

Nintendo are being acquired by VinnCo. and will thereafter be known as Vintendo.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ooh ooh! They should buy Vanillaware and make them work on Metroid. I would play that game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By Hailinel

Ooh ooh! They should buy Vanillaware and make them work on Metroid. I would play that game.

Jason Schreier would have a stroke at their interpretation of Samus. I approve of this.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

Nintendo are being acquired by VinnCo. and will thereafter be known as Vintendo.

Somebody get this man on a conference call with Vinny and Iwata now!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, so many of the quotes are business jargon bullshit. Nintendo has many problems, but if they focus on a few main ones I think they could do themselves a lot of good. By main problems I mean:

1. Gimmicks

2. Brand Confusion

3. Understanding the Internet

Think of it this way. If Nintendo stopped messing with stupid gimmicks that drive away third parties while adding very little value to the games themselves, stopped confusing the market with their console names (Wii, Wii U, 3DS, 2DS), and created an online infrastructure similar to even what the 360 while potentially catering to small developers like the PS4 and Steam try to do, they might actually turn this ship around. However, it makes sense after the Wii and DS that they think gimmicks are the way to go, but the market has clearly changed and Nintendo needs to be able to change with it if they want to survive.

Brand confusion has nothing to do with it. Just because someone's grandma thinks the Wii U is just a controller for the Wii doesn't mean that's why people aren't buying a Wii U. Anyone who plays games knows the difference and they're the ones buying the games or asking someone to buy the games for them. Fans of the Xbox are able to handle 3 different consoles called the Xbox, fans of the Playstation can handle four different consoles called the Playstation, yet you seem to think Nintendo fans are too stupid to know the difference. People aren't buying or asking for a Wii U because they know it's an underpowered console with barely a handful of games worth playing and not because they're too stupid to realize it's not just a controller.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.