I'm a Nintendo Fan and I don't Care if They're Failing

Posted by ChrisTobin (56 posts) -

I'm going to start this post off by admitting that I am not an economist. I don't know whether or not Nintendo is failing, I know that they had a bad year and that a number of people on the internet are clamoring about how the sky is falling for Nintendo. I have no idea if these people are right, but I know that I'm a fan of Nintendo and I don't care if the internet is right.  

Why don't I care? Look at other failing hardware manufacturers before them. When Sega was failing and had to bail out of the hardware business they didn't keep pumping out Dreamcasts until the whole company was destroyed, they simply quit the hardware business. I don't think that I'm alone when I say that I don't find Nintendo's consoles particularly compelling on the hardware side. I would not jump up and down with excitement if Nintendo were to quit the hardware business, but I would not be particularly bummed out about it.

Yes, the Wii brought forth motion control. Well checkout all the bangers using that technology. I'll admit there are a few games that make good use of motion technology on the Wii; Skyward Sword would have been a fine game without it and Wii Sports Resort does not justify an entire console. Good games that use motion control (on the Wii specifically) are few and far between. One could argue that Nintendo "innovated" gaming with motion control, but how many people actually care about the innovation and how many simply tolerate it? I know that I simply tolerate it.

Admittedly its not fair to judge a company on one system, so let's look at what they put out before the Wii, the GameCube. I have nothing against the GameCube, I enjoyed it when it was a relevant system, but it is a completely unremarkable system in terms of hardware. For Nintendo it added a second joystick (oh snap!). Just like every other platform in its generation, the only change it brought to the gaming industry was an increase in graphical power, a standard already being matched by its 3 competitors. The only thing that set the GameCube apart was its games. 

That just leaves the hand-held market. I don't care about the hand-held market. I consider hand-helds to be complete nuisances and I support them simply because I like Professor LaytonPokemon and a select few other games. If Nintendo and Sony gave that market over to Apple I can't imagine I would lose much sleep.

Nintendo is not run by a bunch of morons, if they really were failing they would simply bail out of the hardware business, that's a good thing because Nintendo's consoles are holding their games back. Nintendo's problem does not lie in it's games, Nintendo has no problem making good games. Nintendo's problem is its sub-par hardware. Nintendo's games are being limited in terms of their graphical power, their games are confined to last generation and hand-held hardware. Even the Wii U is only slightly better than current generation consoles. Once Sony and Microsoft unveil their next generation consoles Nintendo's system will likely be outdated once again. Nintendo can not compete on the hardware side, or if it can, it simply refuses to.

Nintendo has 0 business being in the hardware market. If a company feels compelled to make a console they need to support that console with good 3rd party games, something Nintendo has proven it is almost incapable of. The only support Nintendo consoles get is from Nintendo, which leads to a system with about 10 worthwhile games, essentially a paper-weight that one dusts off every few months when the rare good game rolls out. There is 0 reason Nintendo could not develop versions of their games for the 360 or the PS3. I'm into Nintendo games and Nintendo character, I'm not into Nintendo branded boxes, Nintendo being in the hardware market benefits nobody but Nintendo.

People fantasize about a "one system plays all" future, well that can only happen when companies stop seeing the benefit in hardware and start seeing the benefit in software.

#1 Edited by ChrisTobin (56 posts) -

I'm going to start this post off by admitting that I am not an economist. I don't know whether or not Nintendo is failing, I know that they had a bad year and that a number of people on the internet are clamoring about how the sky is falling for Nintendo. I have no idea if these people are right, but I know that I'm a fan of Nintendo and I don't care if the internet is right.  

Why don't I care? Look at other failing hardware manufacturers before them. When Sega was failing and had to bail out of the hardware business they didn't keep pumping out Dreamcasts until the whole company was destroyed, they simply quit the hardware business. I don't think that I'm alone when I say that I don't find Nintendo's consoles particularly compelling on the hardware side. I would not jump up and down with excitement if Nintendo were to quit the hardware business, but I would not be particularly bummed out about it.

Yes, the Wii brought forth motion control. Well checkout all the bangers using that technology. I'll admit there are a few games that make good use of motion technology on the Wii; Skyward Sword would have been a fine game without it and Wii Sports Resort does not justify an entire console. Good games that use motion control (on the Wii specifically) are few and far between. One could argue that Nintendo "innovated" gaming with motion control, but how many people actually care about the innovation and how many simply tolerate it? I know that I simply tolerate it.

Admittedly its not fair to judge a company on one system, so let's look at what they put out before the Wii, the GameCube. I have nothing against the GameCube, I enjoyed it when it was a relevant system, but it is a completely unremarkable system in terms of hardware. For Nintendo it added a second joystick (oh snap!). Just like every other platform in its generation, the only change it brought to the gaming industry was an increase in graphical power, a standard already being matched by its 3 competitors. The only thing that set the GameCube apart was its games. 

That just leaves the hand-held market. I don't care about the hand-held market. I consider hand-helds to be complete nuisances and I support them simply because I like Professor LaytonPokemon and a select few other games. If Nintendo and Sony gave that market over to Apple I can't imagine I would lose much sleep.

Nintendo is not run by a bunch of morons, if they really were failing they would simply bail out of the hardware business, that's a good thing because Nintendo's consoles are holding their games back. Nintendo's problem does not lie in it's games, Nintendo has no problem making good games. Nintendo's problem is its sub-par hardware. Nintendo's games are being limited in terms of their graphical power, their games are confined to last generation and hand-held hardware. Even the Wii U is only slightly better than current generation consoles. Once Sony and Microsoft unveil their next generation consoles Nintendo's system will likely be outdated once again. Nintendo can not compete on the hardware side, or if it can, it simply refuses to.

Nintendo has 0 business being in the hardware market. If a company feels compelled to make a console they need to support that console with good 3rd party games, something Nintendo has proven it is almost incapable of. The only support Nintendo consoles get is from Nintendo, which leads to a system with about 10 worthwhile games, essentially a paper-weight that one dusts off every few months when the rare good game rolls out. There is 0 reason Nintendo could not develop versions of their games for the 360 or the PS3. I'm into Nintendo games and Nintendo character, I'm not into Nintendo branded boxes, Nintendo being in the hardware market benefits nobody but Nintendo.

People fantasize about a "one system plays all" future, well that can only happen when companies stop seeing the benefit in hardware and start seeing the benefit in software.

#2 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Nintendo isn't failing. They went outside the box like they do once a decade and their fans are in such shock it backfired. IT HAPPENS EVERY FUCKING TIME and now we are in for another few decades of the same old shit.

#3 Edited by Jeust (10488 posts) -

I'm not a Nintendo fan and I don't care they are failling. At most I'm their client, and if they aren't capable of presenting products worth getting then why should I care? I'll just go over to who can give me what I'm after.

I can grow an attachment to such developer, but giving the situation more than a thought seems too much.

#4 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

This isn't really any different to the negative posts about Nintendo failing. Don't sweat it. They have $14billion in the bank, enough to last 30 bad years of the loss they made last year. They have a new console coming out, a little late, but still, coming this year. The 3DS is going gangbusters and will very soon stop the very small loss they make on it. There is no gloom. Don't believe the hype.

#5 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I wan't to say this is a knee-jerk reaction to the poorly-made other thread about Nintendo apparently failing but alas, it could all be coincidental. Just rest assured OP, Nintendo will be with us for at least one more cycle and they seem financially secure so far despite that one loss so far.

#6 Edited by GhosthH (40 posts) -

Nintendo aren't failing, they just didn't handle the transition from Wii to Wii U well. They'll be fine, they always seem to find a way to carry on and they've got plenty of money. As for you 'not minding' them falling out of the hardware business, well yeah Sega did it, but they've been kinda lame since that happened (I mostly liked them in the 16Bit era, Megadrive and Arcades). I'm pretty sure they'll be in the hardware business for the forseeable future, undercooked hardware and gimmicks notwithstanding, and the 3DS is doing well enough but will never be a DS level success I would say.

#7 Posted by DeF (4814 posts) -

They're not failing. The news about their losses are only significant since it's the FIRST time they actually did not make money in 30 years, if I recall correctly.

This does not mean they are in debt all of a sudden, this just means they swim in slightly less huge pools of $$$. It happens when you take risks (-> preparing for new hardware launch, 3DS price debacle).

Media outlets just love to exaggerate things for no reason.

#8 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

@ChrisTobin said:

I have nothing against the GameCube, I enjoyed it when it was a relevant system, but it is a completely unremarkable system in terms of hardware. For Nintendo it added a second joystick (oh snap!).

No it didn't. All I see is a yellow nipple marked ''C''.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.