Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

Nintendo, I barely know you anymore.

RenegadeMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By RenegadeMike

Pertaining to the announcement of the Windwaker HD remake.

I understand the remake thing. Great. Love it. But they pick the game that was cell shaded and cartoonish. I love Windwaker. I played the crap out of that game. GBA attached and all. Yet an HD remake of a cartoonish game is just upscaling the cartoonish effects. There is nothing more to see in that, no hidden details that were missing because of a lack of horsepower. I personally would have preferred something like an OOT remake. Look how the 3DS game turned out, that game looks fantastic. Fully rendered with the power of the 3DS made it look stellar. We could actually see Links sword strap and belt . Why not do a 3D version of Link to the past? Can you all Imagine what that world would be like rendered in 3D and in HD? Personally I feel HD remakes are to fully realize the potential of a game that was missed on the orignial product. Like a directors cut of a film. I am not one of those angry people on the net screaming at the big N. I am just disappointed in the choices they have been making recently. By recently I mean the last 7 years. Misstep after misstep has them in a terrible position that they have no right being in. This is Nintendo, the company that used to rule the world in the 80s and 90s. The company that dropped the iconic "Gameboy" name from their handhelds, the same company that refuses to put out games on IOS, the company that abandoned the hardcore dedicated player for my grandpa. The company that named its console something that sounds like a child talking about a his favorite body part. This is why, at least for now, I am not buying a Nintendo console, but sticking with the Microsoft product. Something that my 8 year old self would never have imagined doing.

@Gaff said:

"I don't like this teend of HD remakes, I want this HD remake." Is this really what this argument boils down to?

Well... yeah it kind of is. (Note: this was my attempt at creating my first blog post and is purely my personal opinion.) Yet, my bigger point is that Nintendo has made major missteps Since the launch of the Wii, and I feel this is yet another. After a bit of thought I suppose that my apprehension toward the Windwaker "upgrade" may have been a bit reactionary, although I still disagree with their decision of choosing Windwaker to "upgrade" (as i have been corrected for saying remake). I would have rather seen a less cartoonish game with more details to show off in HD, perhaps Majora's mask since they just did OOT for the 3DS. My overall point is that this is a symptom of a larger problem with Nintendo.

RenegadeMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RenegadeMike

I understand the remake thing. Great. Love it. But they pick the game that was cell shaded and cartoonish. I love Windwaker. I played the crap out of that game. GBA attached and all. Yet an HD remake of a cartoonish game is just upscaling the cartoonish effects. There is nothing more to see in that, no hidden details that were missing because of a lack of horsepower. I personally would have preferred something like an OOT remake. Look how the 3DS game turned out, that game looks fantastic. Fully rendered with the power of the 3DS made it look stellar. We could actually see Links sword strap and belt . Why not do a 3D version of Link to the past? Can you all Imagine what that world would be like rendered in 3D and in HD? Personally I feel HD remakes are to fully realize the potential of a game that was missed on the orignial product. Like a directors cut of a film. I am not one of those angry people on the net screaming at the big N. I am just disappointed in the choices they have been making recently. By recently I mean the last 7 years. Misstep after misstep has them in a terrible position that they have no right being in. This is Nintendo, the company that used to rule the world in the 80s and 90s. The company that dropped the iconic "Gameboy" name from their handhelds, the same company that refuses to put out games on IOS, the company that abandoned the hardcore dedicated player for my grandpa. The company that named its console something that sounds like a child talking about a his favorite body part. This is why, at least for now, I am not buying a Nintendo console, but sticking with the Microsoft product. Something that my 8 year old self would never have imagined doing.

@Gaff said:

"I don't like this teend of HD remakes, I want this HD remake." Is this really what this argument boils down to?

Well... yeah it kind of is. (Note: this was my attempt at creating my first blog post and is purely my personal opinion.) Yet, my bigger point is that Nintendo has made major missteps Since the launch of the Wii, and I feel this is yet another. After a bit of thought I suppose that my apprehension toward the Windwaker "upgrade" may have been a bit reactionary, although I still disagree with their decision of choosing Windwaker to "upgrade" (as i have been corrected for saying remake). I would have rather seen a less cartoonish game with more details to show off in HD, perhaps Majora's mask since they just did OOT for the 3DS. My overall point is that this is a symptom of a larger problem with Nintendo.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

a 3D remake of link to the past would be way more work, basically making another game, than a HD version of wind waker or even a HD version of OOT.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3  Edited By JasonR86

Have you looked at any screenshots? It looks very different.

RenegadeMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RenegadeMike

@Animasta: Yes, that's called making a game. That's what they hire people to do...make games. Not just regurgitate old ones.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By JasonR86

@RenegadeMike said:

@Animasta: Yes, that's called making a game. That's what they hire people to do...make games. Not just regurgitate old ones.

That's Nintendo's MO. Since forever. Remember?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Vinny_Says

You must be young if you knew about Microsoft consoles as an 8 year old.

And I don't understand how a remake of LTTP would not look cartoonish in 3D HD. I mean you want LTTP but that looks like Twilight Princess? ugh no thank you. If anything I'm more dissapointed that a new handheld and a new console have both been announced and there is yet to be a single announcement for a proper Zelda game for either.

RenegadeMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RenegadeMike

@JasonR86: Yeah I saw some shots. Just a new coat of paint IMO. I agree that it looks nice but its the same game. Maybe they will throw in one or two Easter eggs, but its still Windwaker.

RenegadeMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RenegadeMike

@Vinny_Says: No im 27 but i get your joke. my point was that my 8 year old self would never have imagined playing a Microsoft console.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@Vinny_Says said:

And I don't understand how a remake of LTTP would not look cartoonish in 3D HD. I mean you want LTTP but that looks like Twilight Princess? ugh no thank you. If anything I'm more dissapointed that a new handheld and a new console have both been announced and there is yet to be a single announcement for a proper Zelda game for either.

They did announce a new Zelda game, though. It's just too early to show anything concrete of it yet.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ThePaleKing

@RenegadeMike: It's an HD upgrade, it is not a "remake". It's akin to re-releasing a film on blu-ray.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeasantAbuse

A few months ago Miyamoto was talking about either remaking LTTP or Majora's Mask for the 3DS, so those will still probably happen at some point. linky

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By DarthOrange

Is Microsoft really that much better though? From your original post I would think you would be more attracted to the PC or Sony consoles. Microsoft hasn't been focused on games in a while now.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Animasta

@RenegadeMike said:

yeah that's why they're making a new one?

RenegadeMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RenegadeMike

@JasonR86: Ok granted Nintendo likes regurgitating old games. But this is not the Nintendo they used to be in the late 80s and 90s. With the decisions they have made they are now going to be playing the catch up game. The Wii U is not on par with the rest of the "next gen" consoles and the fact that we can say that without even seeing the competition is a bad thing. This is Nintendo we are talking about, they should be the leaders not the people releasing Batman Arkham City a year after its original release. If you get my point.

@Pudge: Thanks for the heads up.

@DarthOrange: While Microsoft isn't focused on games they have much better 3rd party support. So I'm sticking with them.

@ThePaleKing: Point taken Not a "remake" Upgrade. Perhaps my original wording was flawed.

@Hailinel: I'm saying that the fact that their new console is just now able to even play that game is an issue. its not that they are simply re-releasing an old game. Its that their old console couldn't play it in the first place, and the new console is just barely able to handle it. These are just symptoms of a bigger problem with Nintendo.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Pudge

@RenegadeMike said:

@Vinny_Says: No im 27 but i get your joke. my point was that my 8 year old self would never have imagined playing a Microsoft console. Thanks for replying to my first post Vinny.

That's not Vinny. http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/vinny/ is Vinny. Just an FYI.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Animasta

@RenegadeMike said:

@JasonR86: Ok granted Nintendo likes regurgitating old games. But this is not the Nintendo they used to be in the late 80s and 90s. With the decisions they have made they are now going to be playing the catch up game. The Wii U is not on par with the rest of the "next gen" consoles and the fact that we can say that without even seeing the competition is a bad thing. This is Nintendo we are talking about, they should be the leaders not the people releasing Batman Arkham City a year after its original release. If you get my point.

...why?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Let the bitches make their money.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

@RenegadeMike said:

So Nintendo shouldn't ever release enhanced versions of old games? Is that what you're trying to argue? Because it's really not a good argument.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By zeushbien

From the one screenshot I've seen, I think the new windwaker looks gorgeous. But I get your point about the detail thing.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gaff

"I don't like this teend of HD remakes, I want this HD remake."

Is this really what this argument boils down to?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Vinny_Says

@Hailinel said:

@Vinny_Says said:

They did announce a new Zelda game, though. It's just too early to show anything concrete of it yet.

Okay but still...one producer saying "yeah we're working on a game, trust me" isn't exactly what I think of when I say announcement.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

I've always thought that Windwaker is one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen, so a HD remake would be nice to look at. But for me, I've never had fun with the 3D Zelda games. The formula just never really clicked with me the same way it did with Link to the Past or Oracle of Seasons/Ages. I know that's utter blasphemy for Zelda fans, but yeah I've just never liked anything OOT forward that was polygonal really.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Vinny_Says

@Hailinel said:

@Vinny_Says said:

Okay but still...one producer saying "yeah we're working on a game, trust me" isn't exactly what I think of when I say announcement.

It's nothing extravagant but it is an announcement. It's just that...I mean of course they're working on a new Zelda. They're never NOT working on a new Mario or Zelda.
    algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By algertman

@Vinny_Says said:

@Hailinel said:

@Vinny_Says said:

They are ALWAYS working on a new Zelda. We also know Zelda games take years to make and they change up a good bit during production. They will use Wind Waker HD as a trial run for how they will handle the menus. They also announced Smash, Mario, and Kart will all be playable at E3. They are clearly in no rush to get out Zelda with the other games. Zelda is coming, we know this, and they probably won't show much till they are way n to production.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By wrighteous86

@RenegadeMike said:

@Gaff said:

You do realize that the team did "trial" HD updates for a lot of the Zelda games (presumably to choose a style for the next game), and they all decided that this one was the best and wanted to move forward with it in a remake right? Is it different? Yeah, but I also think it looks great.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By GunstarRed

Okami HD.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Dogma

I I understood Iwata correctly this Winder Waker remake seems to have sprung from experiments during their new Zelda game. It seems like they had done graphical tests with the new game and then thought that it could work on Wind Waker so they decided to do a remake and give Zelda-fans that while we are waiting for the completely new game.

I think it's quite nice that we get this while waiting for the new stuff. The game does not only seem to be a HD upscaled game but it looks like it has experienced a drastic transformation.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@RenegadeMike said:

@DarthOrange: While Microsoft isn't focused on games they have much better 3rd party support. So I'm sticking with them.

That hasn't been true in at least a year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.