Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

Oculus rift

Avatar image for ronniecolemanmro
    RonnieColeManMrO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RonnieColeManMrO

I was wondering if this oculus rift becomes a success will that mean no more traditional games will be made and by traditional I mean on a tv with a controller.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Optix12

Quick response but surely you would still need a direct input to what you may be doing, i.e. a first person shooter you would need wasd/left joystick to move which would mean you would require a gamepad?

Your idea requires a mass influx in people using oculus rift with a secondary controller ( the one which has a circular frame which you can walk in) to move around. What I would love to see is the next generation (and pc) 100% supporting the oculus rift with games that have a mode which would work well and potentially even some games which require it (if there are some very imaginative developers out there)

Edit: your post count is kind of low, im going to say welcome to giant bomb

doube edit: the circular thing i was talking about was the omni, if that peripheral could work and be potentially be bundled (haha im thinking of the movie Hackers with that very quick VR segment) with an oculus rift and it works well, then there is huge potential to work well and work with your desires.
    The ultimate next generation system will incorpate a kinect monitoring your every muscle move, with an oculus rift monitoring where you are looking and an omni to control your movements.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

There's going to be all different kinds of games. The oculus will just add more.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

Maybe in the far flung future, probably not in the next ten years. Thats my totally uneducated guess, but I get the feeling that something as goofy looking as that headset will be a difficult sell for the wider game buying public. I personally dont have any interest because I dont want to be ensconced in my game to the point where I'm shutting others out around me.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Nope, regardless whether or not it's a huge success, I don't think that'll be the case anytime in the near future. Maybe someday, but not soon enough to worry about. The great thing about the games industry is that it can be so diverse. There's tons of different experiences games can give, and the oculus will just simply allow us to experience them in a new way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.