Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Odyssey

Platform »

The Magnavox Odyssey was the first home video game console.

From Top Gun to the Odyssey

djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

I know right. How the hell did I follow a path from the movie Top Gun to the world's first Video Game Console, the Magnavox Odyssey. Well it started with me watching a Youtube video that took a light hearted look back at Top Gun. I posted a comment to it remarking that it reminded me of my first exposure to Top Gun. As a thirteen-year-old kid in the eighties I went to the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television (now known as the National Media Museum) in Bradford, England. They have a small cinema which at the time was showcasing Dolby cinema surround technology. The way they showcased this was to show the main sequence of plane combat towards the end of the movie. It lasts about twenty minutes and I *think* it was free which probably explains why they didn't show the whole film. Anyway, the loud surround sound experience blew my thirteen-year-old mind. Having revisited that memory, I decided to see if the National Media Museum had an official Youtube channel, which they do. While browsing their videos I came across the below video. It's pretty short (a little over three minutes). They show the console itself and intersperse this with clips from the original adverts. This was a completely unexpected trip down memory lane (at least where Top Gun was concerned) that ended with me looking at the world's first video game console. A console I am too young to remember and have never played. The main reason I wanted to post this was to show you guys the below video and to let you know that they have a few other video game related videos too. I haven't watched them yet but Bethesda and Team Bondi are featured amongst the small collection of videos on this channel.

Have you guys got any tales of unexpected nostalgia/history?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.