Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Original Soundtrack Release

Concept »

Games that have had an Original Soundtrack album released.

Sweep: The OST

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

My name is Sweep and this is my blog.

There are many like it but this one is mine.

I use this space to write about my video games and my addiction to them. I hope, somehow, my personality does not appear as two-dimensional as the games I choose to discus.
    Music is important. It always has been to me, at least. So i'm going to dedicate this blog to some tunes that I have been listening to, now and from now on. 

Tune: City Life

Artist: Logistics

Album: Now More Than Ever

I can't remember the first time I heard this song. It must have been some time in 2006, which was a while ago. For christmas last year my girlfriend managed to track down a 12" Vinyl copy and framed it for me. It now hangs above my bed. It's a song I love so much I don't even have to listen to it any more. 

You know when you hear a song in a certain context and from then from then onwards whenever you hear that song again you are reminded of that specific point in history? This song reminds me of growing up, and that life goes on.

Tune: Come

Artist: Lemon Jelly

Album: Lemonjelly.ky

Lemon Jelly are one of those great artists that have a niche and they fucking cornered the shit out of it. If you want chilled out lounge music then these guys have got your front, side and back. Come has always been the song I listen to when i'm trying to relax or calm down. I have listened to this song hundreds of times and it still works. I'm sure each of you has your musical sanctuaries. This is mine.

Tune: Fish

Artist: Mr. Scruff

Album: Keep It Unreal

The jumbled, surrealist adventures of Mr. Scruff, into the realms of the audio, are wonderfully charted. The production and execution of his songs are pure class. It's music with a playful sense of humour. As someone who is often concerned that he's fucking insane, I have always taken comfort hearing my own insanity reflected in this song.

Tune: Weak Become Heroes

Artist: The Streets

Album: Original Pirate Material

Hearing someone carve out their own genre was stunningly refreshing. There's something about the early streets tunes that were... honest? It's a fairly typical lament of the schoolboy elitist but when Mike Skinner was just dicking about in a studio singing about how he got trashed in a nightclub toilet, things were so much more unpretentious and simple. The magic isn't lost, it just got left behind. We can always go back...

Tune: Electricity

Artist: The Avalanches

Album: Since I Left You

I don't really know how this song arrived on this list. It's a song that I seem to play by default. Mellow and haunting, it requires quite a specific mood. If i'm honest this whole album is fucking incredible, but for some reason this song in particular is the one I keep playing. The Avalanches aren't afraid to fuck with your head, and their style has always demonstrated a great methodical harmony to the madness.

Tune: The Wine Song

Artist: The Cat Empire

Album: The Cat Empire

I can see Australian users spinning themselves into early graves at the very mention of The Cat Empire. I'll concede that for the most part their music is a little... naive. I was obsessed with their songs when I was growing up, as I got older I began to see through their whimsical bullshit. All that remains now is The Wine Song. There are worse fates, even if you can't think of any.  

Tune: By The Wall

Artist: Thomas Dvorak

Album: Machinarium OST

It's perhaps testament to the honesty of this list that the final song should be taken from a videogame soundtrack. I like to think we are defined by the music we listen to and it's nice to know that somewhere in there videogames also played their part. 
    I heard this song before playing Machinarium, If anything it was the driving force behind my purchase. Machinarium is a beautiful game, and this song reflects that. It's a game I wish I could experience for the first time, every time. I can't do that, though. I can't forget the answers to the games many intrinsic puzzles. But the song is still beautiful, and that beauty is not limited to the fresh context of it's virtual landscape.

It's a song that I love and that I can't stop playing.

Thanks For Reading. And For Listening.
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

My name is Sweep and this is my blog.

There are many like it but this one is mine.

I use this space to write about my video games and my addiction to them. I hope, somehow, my personality does not appear as two-dimensional as the games I choose to discus.
    Music is important. It always has been to me, at least. So i'm going to dedicate this blog to some tunes that I have been listening to, now and from now on. 

Tune: City Life

Artist: Logistics

Album: Now More Than Ever

I can't remember the first time I heard this song. It must have been some time in 2006, which was a while ago. For christmas last year my girlfriend managed to track down a 12" Vinyl copy and framed it for me. It now hangs above my bed. It's a song I love so much I don't even have to listen to it any more. 

You know when you hear a song in a certain context and from then from then onwards whenever you hear that song again you are reminded of that specific point in history? This song reminds me of growing up, and that life goes on.

Tune: Come

Artist: Lemon Jelly

Album: Lemonjelly.ky

Lemon Jelly are one of those great artists that have a niche and they fucking cornered the shit out of it. If you want chilled out lounge music then these guys have got your front, side and back. Come has always been the song I listen to when i'm trying to relax or calm down. I have listened to this song hundreds of times and it still works. I'm sure each of you has your musical sanctuaries. This is mine.

Tune: Fish

Artist: Mr. Scruff

Album: Keep It Unreal

The jumbled, surrealist adventures of Mr. Scruff, into the realms of the audio, are wonderfully charted. The production and execution of his songs are pure class. It's music with a playful sense of humour. As someone who is often concerned that he's fucking insane, I have always taken comfort hearing my own insanity reflected in this song.

Tune: Weak Become Heroes

Artist: The Streets

Album: Original Pirate Material

Hearing someone carve out their own genre was stunningly refreshing. There's something about the early streets tunes that were... honest? It's a fairly typical lament of the schoolboy elitist but when Mike Skinner was just dicking about in a studio singing about how he got trashed in a nightclub toilet, things were so much more unpretentious and simple. The magic isn't lost, it just got left behind. We can always go back...

Tune: Electricity

Artist: The Avalanches

Album: Since I Left You

I don't really know how this song arrived on this list. It's a song that I seem to play by default. Mellow and haunting, it requires quite a specific mood. If i'm honest this whole album is fucking incredible, but for some reason this song in particular is the one I keep playing. The Avalanches aren't afraid to fuck with your head, and their style has always demonstrated a great methodical harmony to the madness.

Tune: The Wine Song

Artist: The Cat Empire

Album: The Cat Empire

I can see Australian users spinning themselves into early graves at the very mention of The Cat Empire. I'll concede that for the most part their music is a little... naive. I was obsessed with their songs when I was growing up, as I got older I began to see through their whimsical bullshit. All that remains now is The Wine Song. There are worse fates, even if you can't think of any.  

Tune: By The Wall

Artist: Thomas Dvorak

Album: Machinarium OST

It's perhaps testament to the honesty of this list that the final song should be taken from a videogame soundtrack. I like to think we are defined by the music we listen to and it's nice to know that somewhere in there videogames also played their part. 
    I heard this song before playing Machinarium, If anything it was the driving force behind my purchase. Machinarium is a beautiful game, and this song reflects that. It's a game I wish I could experience for the first time, every time. I can't do that, though. I can't forget the answers to the games many intrinsic puzzles. But the song is still beautiful, and that beauty is not limited to the fresh context of it's virtual landscape.

It's a song that I love and that I can't stop playing.

Thanks For Reading. And For Listening.
    Love Sweep
    Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Llama

what? no dubstep? im insulted :<

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Llama: These aren't the only 7 songs I listen to, you bellend.

Also I just realised that there are indeed 7 songs on this list. Desert Island Disks, anyone?
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By buzz_clik

Nice selection, mate. I guess it shouldn't be a real surprise that we've got similar taste in music, though. 

I also love Winter Blues off Now More Than Ever - it's getting into the colder months here, so I'm about to make one of my annual winter playlists and that song usually ends up on it.

Lemon Jelly are always the duck's nuts (if you'll pardon the allusion). A Tune For Jack is still one of the most upbeat tunes I've ever heard, and it never fails to put me in a good mood. Plus '64-'95 is one of those albums that matured and grew on me the more I listened to it. And Mr Scruff is always ace - Valley of the Sausages and Ug still rock it.   

Also, good of you to stick some Aussie flavour in there with Avalanches and Cat Empire! Interesting story: the brother of one of the members of Avalances was trying to court my girlfriend before I'd hooked up with her, even inviting her to an album launch party on a boat. The weekend that she was supposed to go to the party, I convinced her to hang out with me instead. 11 years later, and we're still together. We both still love the album, but it's always got that extra layer of nostalgia (and victory).

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @buzz_clik:  Victory never sounded so sweet :D

'64-'95 has grown on me a lot as well, though I tend to listen to the tracks more individually than as a whole album. For that reason it has always seemed more disjointed.

EDIT: I wanted to mention this song but as I haven't really had time to form a retrospective I was hesitant to lumber my list with something I might hate in a few weeks: But I'm sure you will enjoy it nonetheless. It's a song made entirely from sounds in the disney film UP. It's uplifting. Gettit? "Uplifting". Someone call me a taxi...

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By JeevesPleez

Ahh! I didn't know that Amanita released that EP yet. Thanks for reminding me!

For anyone else, the EP has 5 songs that weren't originally released with the Machinarium OST. It's free and you can get it from here. Also, I totally recommend getting the OST, as I listen to it on the regular.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Sweep: Awww, that Up thing is grand! Love it.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Rowr

Alice is way better than Up. Quite alot of soft electronic jazz you got there, very mellow.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By phlegms

Laaaaavely stuff. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.