Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Path of Exile

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2013

Path of Exile is a free-to-play PC online action Role-Playing Game set in a dark fantasy world.

New and feeling a little overwhelmed ..advice?

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Deathshroud

So I am trying to follow a build or two to help jump into this game. But at the time time it feels daunting when looking at the games , gear and of course that skill tree. Any good advise for a noob on this? Also is there a guilds and if a gaintbomb one by chance? Thanks :)

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TravisRex

I played the game casually and beat the game once on the standard difficulty with a witch...I dunno man...I just slot skills in even if I don't use them to gain xp, take advantage of shared stash for new characters...as far as picking perk skills go, depends on your character and I know you say you're using a guide. I remember resistances being very important in the endgame. In the perk tree I focused on damage output and manashield. Was pretty effective. Also some skills just straight up suck and aren't worth using. If you find something that may do more damage but is just unwieldy to use in crowds, just pass it off and switch back to what you're comfortable with.

Edit - also use the crafting/modification items. It's cool to reroll stats on stuff.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I recommend just jumping in and rolling with it. Get as far as you can into the game until you hit a wall you can't get past. Your first character isn't going to be good in the super late game most likely, but that's how you'll learn. Then you can go look up build videos and all that good stuff to see what you did wrong. You'll understand what build videos are talking about and why the build works a lot more than if you try and copy one for your first character.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I would advise going onto the official PoE forums and looking for some beginner builds if you feel entirely overwhelmed. Most of them do a pretty good job of outlining what skills you should use, what type of gear you want, and how to build your skill tree. Also, be sure to pull up the official wiki if you get stuck--it's filled with great information, like how to find skill gems you might want or where you need to go to progress in each Act.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My best advice would probably be to not stress too much about things. My experience with the game is that it's a very very slow burner. You're gonna screw up your character and try to learn from your mistakes. Trying to dive deep in straight away is just way too overwhelming. I guess if you really want to optimize straight away the best thing would be to check out some of the most popular builds from their forums or something, but I'd recommend just realizing this will be your first of many characters and try to enjoy the learning experience. The game is built for replayability, and you're probably gonna get through the game on your first try unless you deliberately try to screw over your character.

If anything, the biggest newb mistake you can do is to use most of your "currency" before you know what it's worth. All the different orbs you get that can alter items are often used as currency when trading with other players (since there is no gold), and spending them on items you'll switch out in a few hours or less is usually not worth it. Also, vendor recipes are sort of hidden thing in the game you'd probably never discover yourself, which is quite handy once you get more of a grip on the game.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Your first character will probably be pretty bad/poorly optimized, but you shouldn't have much of an issue finishing Normal with it. There's a lot of reading you can do (the official wiki and forums are both great resources for clarification or builds), but the game is so dense with mechanics that you probably won't even really know what you need to be looking for in the first place. I'd say just roll through Normal, looking up things you have questions about as you come across them. Don't be afraid to experiment with different skills. Learn a few of the easier/more common vendor recipes (any item with at least one red, blue, and green socket all linked together will vendor for a Chromatic Orb. Three of the same type of potion will vendor for a potion the tier above them, etc.). Don't ignore Life or Energy Shield (whichever you decide to focus on) in your passive skill tree, and definitely don't ignore elemental resistances (or Life/ES!) on your gear, as well as some way to mitigate physical damage (Armor Rating, Mind Over Matter, Arctic Armor, Immortal Call, etc.). A lot of these suggestions probably won't make much sense for a while, but many of them won't matter for a while either.

Again: unless you're following a build, consider your first character a learning experience.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Like everyone is saying, just go with it on a first character. The game won't be so hard you can't get through anyways and you'll figure it out.

You can freeze up with this game if you get anxious about builds but I think you have to play some to get a feel for it and also to realize how much what skills you use matters and that'll dictate what kind of build you want when you try some of those out.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GERALTITUDE

[OT message obliterated]

@mezza: lol gosh darnit! Not the first time I have made that mistake haha, thanks for setting me straight.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@geraltitude: Think you got the wrong PoE. Path of Exile, not Pillars of Eternity. I make the same mistake all the time.

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Follow up for all of you who helped . I am finding builds help a lot get into the game. I am doing breach league and its pretty awesome . Enjoying the game so freaking much ... maybe too much lol . My only frustration is currency for items I want appears to be super hard to get. Anyone have good advise for getting exalted orbs???

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Deathshroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I get enough Orbs of Fusing . Can anyone turn my chest into a 6 link on Breach?????

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.