Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

20 pin PSU connector plugged into 24 pin motherboard port?

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

Hey all,

I do some computer side jobs and came across a weird issue looking at a refurb HP desktop that belonged to a friend's parents. As the title would suggest, the motherboard was made for a 24 pin power supply connection yet the PSU that was in there was a 20 pin. leaving the top 4 pins with nothing in them. More surprising to me was that this computer has run this way for about 5-6 years now. Still running and rocking Windows Vista in all it's...em...glory?

Anyone else ever see something like this?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Those remaining four pins are largely redundant, most likely there in case of a video card that needed some extra power. I think it's flexibility for OEM's that want to use as few parts as possible, so sometimes you will end up with an aux power connector that isn't used or some extra connectors from the PSU.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.