Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

A few PC problems

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hi everyone. For the first time ever, I built my own PC about a week ago, for the most part it's great; glad I'm able to finally stream video games. But of course, I'm having a few issues.

First one is my PC powers up completely fine, I see that bios flash screen and then it pops into windows, but I don't hear a motherboard beep, how bad is that?

Another issue is sometimes, not all the time, when my air conditioner comes on in my room, my sound goes out for a second or two then comes back on. This also has happened to my mouse and keyboard just a few times, not nearly as often as sound though. They're all USB connected, if that helps.

That's mostly it for now... btw is there any program that can help me with diagnosing the motherboard? I'm just worried I effed up the motherboard when I was building my PC.

brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you plug in the motherboard speaker?

As for the AC turning on, I think its something called a power sag.

A power sag is a short-term low-voltage condition in an electric circuit. Power sags occur when high-power electric loads (such as air conditioners) are started up, or when multiple devices on the same circuit are turned on at once.

TehJedicake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A power sag is a short-term low-voltage condition in an electric circuit. Power sags occur when high-power electric loads (such as air conditioners) are started up, or when multiple devices on the same circuit are turned on at once.

Oh. I don't think I did plug in the motherboard speaker lol.

Hmm.. power sag, maybe I'll try plugging the AC into a different outlet?

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brutushayesosu said:

Oh. I don't think I did plug in the motherboard speaker lol.

Hmm.. power sag, maybe I'll try plugging the AC into a different outlet?

yeah, and if that doesnt work perhaps get a little UPS(battery backup) that you run your computer through, so it has a buffer.

gamingmichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@tehjedicake: Not all motherboards necessarily come with a speaker. "Speaker" in this case simply refers to a cable that plugs into the motherboard that enables audible beeps to be heard during POST. Check your motherboard box or manual to see if yours came with one. Certain beep patterns can help you troubleshoot problems such as diagnosing a RAM issue.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My motherboard never makes a sound. In fact, when I bought it, it came with a speaker attachment I had to use to set it up.

But the second thing is simply a case of having too many things plugged into the same circuit. That's most likely just a bad wiring job done to the house.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.