Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Advice on this build?

kingclip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My biggest question is on the GPU. I'm trying to build a living room PC (converting from a console gamer), so I'll never be playing at a resolution higher than 1920x1080. Does that change how I should think about graphics cards?

All this thing is for really, is playing games on the television. Sure, there might be some web browsing and youtube-ing, but that shouldn't change the spec out.

Also, is the noise reduction technology worth it? Anyone have experience with that?

Also, PLEASE don't tell me to build it myself. I have massive respect for those that do, but I don't trust myself to do it, nor do I really have the time. I understand I'll have to pay a little more, but I'm happy to, and the warranty/support provides me some piece of mind as well.

Thanks GB community, you are the best.

*BASE_PRICE: [+985]

BLUETOOTH: None

CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]

CAS: Thermaltake Urban S21 w/ USB 3.0 [+0]

CASUPGRADE: None

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CD2: None

COOLANT: Standard Coolant

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4670 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 [-30]

CS_FAN: Default case fans

ENGRAVING: None

ENGRAVING_MSG:

FA_HDD: None

FAN: Asetek 510LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Enhance Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

FLASHMEDIA: None

FREEBIE_VC1: Assassin's Creed Black Flag Game Coupon [+0]

FREEBIE_VC2: NVIDIA Free To Play Phase 2 - Never Winter, Warframe , and Marvel Heroes [+0]

HDD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 540MB/s Read & 410MB/s Write [-14] (Single Drive)

HDD2: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [+78] (Single Drive)

HEADSET: None

IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard

MB_SRT: None

MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V2)

MONITOR: None

MONITOR2: None

MONITOR3: None

MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX w/ Military Class 4, OC Genie II, GbLAN, 2 GEn3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 2 PCI

MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

NOISEREDUCE1: Sound Absorbing Foam on Side, Top And Bottom panels [+29]

NOISEREDUCE2: Power Supply Gasket [+5]

NOISEREDUCE3: Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]

OS: Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit Edition) + Office 365 FREE 30 Days Trial

OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY: 650 Watts - Corsair CSM Series CS650M 80 Plus Gold Certified Modular Ultra Quiet Power Supply [+64]

PRINTER_CABLE1: 10-FT HDMI v1.4 Cable Type-A Male to Male High Speed Cable [+10] (1 piece)

RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 2 to 3 weeks

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS: None

TEMP: None

TUNING: None

TVRC: None

USBFLASH: None

USBHD: None

USBX: None

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+50] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

VIDEO2: None

VIDEO3: None

WNC: None

_PRICE: (+1205)

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

seems fine to me.. the GTX 770 is a great GPU and dont see you needing to change that for some time really. When it comes to noise reduction, that is more of a personal thing really, if you dont really care about the noise all that much, its not worth paying extra cash for it if the normal operating of a PC doesn't really bother you all that much. Which vendor are you buying this machine from? and are you at your total budget with this machine?

kingclip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That build is from CyberPower. They were mentioned in one of the stickies here, and I've customized at quite a few places and they seem to win on price (though I'm certainly open to other suggestions). $1200 is a solid price point for me, but I'm flexible if there is an upgrade that is really worth it. Thanks!

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

If you can perhaps go with an i7 for a CPU that will last you longer but really its a good build to me.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman

Seems the mobile site ate my post, but I'll try to summarize.

The 770 is solid--I wouldn't go with anything less. I have a 770, as well as the unlocked version of your chosen CPU, and things run great on a TV at 1080. You won't be able to max literally every game's graphics settings, but you will most, and the rest just require a small bump down.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Everything in there is fine, no complaints at all really. The 770 will chew up anything released at the moment at 1080p and the 4670K will chug along just fine. The noise reduction stuff is all worth it, foam lining will help with internal echo and the silicon grommeting will help reduce the amount of vibration being transferred to the chassis (chassis hum is the worst :P).

kingclip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys, I had no idea on the sound stuff. If it WORKS, I'm all for it, but I had no idea if it was just a rip off. I have this priced down to around $1150 right now, but I'm going to wait for another month or so as I'll be out of town for spring training stuff all of March. That's what portables (and Bravely Default) is for. Thanks again for the input. It's made me feel much better about my research.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.