Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Advice: Quad Core or 6 Core?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9bf8423af62
    deactivated-5b9bf8423af62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys :) Just a quick question.

I'm about to click buy on a new computer and I've been trawling the net for a while now and my head is hurting. I've taken overclocking and GPUs and price and all that nonsense into consideration, and I'm tired :P

So I thought I'd just try and get a simple answer from the most awesome community on the net.

Quad or 6 (Hex?) core for gaming?

The only games I really play on the PC is the Sims and I'm looking forward to the new Simcity game.

(The other thing I do on a PC is video editing).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Joey.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

More cores just help with multitasking. A lot of programs, especially games, still don't take full advantage of multicore processors. It's the speed that is still important. I would just go with 4, though having an i7 is like having 8 with 4 physical cores.

Edit: though it's always good to look at benchmarks for each product and compare.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

All you really need is a quad core processor. Plenty fast, especially for your needs.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ervonymous

I wish I'd gone with Intel when I built this machine but the hexacore AMD 1090T was so much cheaper at the time. I don't think there's any other reason to stray from a quad core intel processor even now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9bf8423af62
    deactivated-5b9bf8423af62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Nephrahim

Like the above have said, you really don't need to worry about the cores past 4 that much. Hardly any program can use that many cores, so all it'll do is offload a very small amount of background programs.

Maybe if you're crazy into multitasking it would be worth it.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By DoctorWelch

There is literally no point to getting anything higher than quad core right now. GPU is where the money really makes the difference on a gaming PC.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

Get an i5.

No, really, I recently made a thread on the subject of processors and also scoured the web for info, and that answer is almost unanimous - i5 2500K processors give the best bang for your buck. Ten dollars more nets you the new Ivy Bridge 3570K. I wound up opting for a 3470 since I don't plan on overclocking, but at the end of the day an i5 is and has been the gold standard.

PHARAOH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PHARAOH

@ervonymous:

I really like my 1100T 6core. If you have the power overclock the crap out of it. Mine is running at 4Gigs and a hint guys the phenom2 turbo core back then really sucks turn it off.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ervonymous

@PHARAOH: Not that I have any real gripes with it, I just haven't been able to push it beyond 3.6ghz after a BIOS update and I'm tired of fiddling with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.