Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Am I SLI-ready?

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jelekeloy

Right now I've got an i5-2500k system with a GTX 560 (non-Ti, so more like an OC'd 460), and 8 gigs of RAM. While it runs most games just fine, I'm not getting 60+FPS in BF3 or Skyrim (I play in 1080p), and now that I've got the cash I'd like to get another 560.

I have this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128502

and V1 of this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

and I'm looking to add a second one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

I don't see why the motherboard would be an issue, but I'm a little worried only having a 650w PSU. I've seen conflicting reports all around the web about whether it would be enough: some say it's more than you need, others say it's nowhere close. What do you think? Is my PSU good enough? Also, what types of cables will I need to set up the new card in SLI? I had my computer built for me, so I'm not too sharp on details like that. Thanks in advance.

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SpecTackle

650w may be toeing the line a little bit, but I think you'd be fine. I've currently got a GTX 460 SLi running off a 750w PSU with no issues, and afaik the 560s only use about 20w more at max. The rest of my specs are pretty much the same as yours.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By 137

it may be a little tight but as long as you can run the cards on different rails (different cable for each power plug) you should be fine, but you may have to drop the oc one one card. I was able to run crossfire with two 5770's and an i7 on an old seasonic psu

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jazzycola

Huh your not getting 60+ FPS in Skyrim or Battlefield...You know I could understand being like "Oh I'm not getting 30+ FPS" but more than 60. I don't know man I'd just save that money if you're getting between the 40-60 FPS range. Most if not all people can't tell the difference past 60 FPS. And the people that do only realize it since they have FRAPS running all the time. My suggestion turn off FRAPS or any other FPS monitor and just enjoy the game.

Edit: Also if you have V-sync on you can't have FPS above 60.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

@Jazzycola said:

Huh your not getting 60+ FPS in Skyrim or Battlefield...You know I could understand being like "Oh I'm not getting 30+ FPS" but more than 60. I don't know man I'd just save that money if you're getting between the 40-60 FPS range. Most if not all people can't tell the difference past 60 FPS. And the people that do only realize it since they have FRAPS running all the time. My suggestion turn off FRAPS or any other FPS monitor and just enjoy the game.

Edit: Also if you have V-sync on you can't have FPS above 60.

But maintaining a frame-rate above 60FPS at all times *is* something that people prefer, and it definitely is noticeable. I'd still agree with you that anything above a constant 30 is fine for me in terms of cost to performance given the age of my own hardware, but I can definitely see why someone would want more.

It sounds like 650W is the minimum safe recommended level, so with a quality PSU like that it *should* be okay. That all depends on the other components your system is running, of course, like the number of hard drives, DVD drives, etc.

It never hurts to overestimate your PSU requirements, but I feel like a lot of people worry needlessly over it. Only the beefiest of systems running SLI/Crossfire on dual monitor systems require the megawatt plus PSUs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.