Audio Buzzing on Windows 7 64-bit

#1 Edited by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

So some of you might remember I had a problem with frame and audio skipping awhile ago. Well that's all gone, it was a simple fix. Everything is running fine. But now I have audio buzzing. This was present before, but it was not consistent. I don't know if it just my patience or what, but it seems to have gotten worse. I keep getting audio buzzing when I watch videos online, listen to audio, play games, whereever. It not a constant buzz or anything. It's like R2D2 is trying to talk to me like every 10 seconds. Sometimes it doesn't happen that often, it changes. Any ideas?
 
Now, I usually listen through headphones, and I've tried both a port on the front of my case and a port connected straight to my motherboard in back. All my drivers are up to date. My device manager shows both "ATI High Definition Audio Device" and "Realtek High Definition Audio" under the sound category. I've tried disabling one over the other but that didn't solve anything. I have no soundcard, it's all in my motherboard. I've tried searching this issue online but haven't found any help yet. I assume this issue probably means a connection issue, but if everything is connected right, do I just have a faulty motherboard? Also, I ran memory diags and they all passed.
 
Specs are: ATI 5870  2GB video card, i7-930 cpu, P6X58Dp motherboard.

#2 Posted by Jams (2961 posts) -

Try muting the line in or microphone (where you can hear what's coming through the mic). My soundcard had a similar problem and turning the volume down on the line in and muting it fixed that problem.

#3 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@TripMasterMunky said:
"  My device manager shows both "ATI High Definition Audio Device" and "Realtek High Definition Audio" under the sound category. I've tried disabling one over the other but that didn't solve anything. I have no soundcard, it's all in my motherboard. "
I don't know what the solution to your problem is...but I just want to make a comment:  believe it or not, but your video card provides the "ati high definition audio device".  It's the thing in the *video* card that sends sound out the hdmi cable.
#4 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -
@jams said:
" Try muting the line in or microphone (where you can hear what's coming through the mic). My soundcard had a similar problem and turning the volume down on the line in and muting it fixed that problem. "
I thought you were a genius at first, lol. I did that and didn't hear any buzzing for a good couple minutes, but then it started coming back in again.
#5 Posted by jkz (4025 posts) -

I've had this issue consistently for a long time as well. Usually I solve it by closing out all programs outside of the one I'm focusing on; the reduced strain seems to fix the issue. That's hardly an ideal fix, however, and I'd love to hear if anyone has a solution. 
 
And before you ask, yes, all my drivers have been wiped and updated, and I've asked for help on the support sites of my computer's various components, and on various other tech forums. The closest I've gotten to an answer has been from Creative, who said that the issue can arise from some pairings of Creative and NVidia products, and that a fix was on a way; that was over a year ago, however, and I have yet to hear of a fix.

Online
#6 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -
@jukezypoo said:
" I've had this issue consistently for a long time as well. Usually I solve it by closing out all programs outside of the one I'm focusing on; the reduced strain seems to fix the issue. That's hardly an ideal fix, however, and I'd love to hear if anyone has a solution.  And before you ask, yes, all my drivers have been wiped and updated, and I've asked for help on the support sites of my computer's various components, and on various other tech forums. The closest I've gotten to an answer has been from Creative, who said that the issue can arise from some pairings of Creative and NVidia products, and that a fix was on a way; that was over a year ago, however, and I have yet to hear of a fix. "
Interesting. My computer is using an ATI card though with Realtek audio on the motherboard though.
#7 Posted by jkz (4025 posts) -
@TripMasterMunky said:
" @jukezypoo said:
" I've had this issue consistently for a long time as well. Usually I solve it by closing out all programs outside of the one I'm focusing on; the reduced strain seems to fix the issue. That's hardly an ideal fix, however, and I'd love to hear if anyone has a solution.  And before you ask, yes, all my drivers have been wiped and updated, and I've asked for help on the support sites of my computer's various components, and on various other tech forums. The closest I've gotten to an answer has been from Creative, who said that the issue can arise from some pairings of Creative and NVidia products, and that a fix was on a way; that was over a year ago, however, and I have yet to hear of a fix. "
Interesting. My computer is using an ATI card though with Realtek audio on the motherboard though. "
Hmm. That's odd. Are there any specific applications / games that cause the issue for you? Or is it just a semi-random occurence?
Online
#8 Posted by Marz (5652 posts) -

probably getting EMI on your soundboard. 

#9 Posted by MB (12408 posts) -

I had a similar problem and fixed it by rerouting my audio cables away from power cords. Sounds simple but it worked.

Moderator
#10 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -

I had a problem like that when I switched to Windows 7 (64 bit) from XP. My (internal) sound card was kind of old, so I just bought a new one (external). It's much snazzier and I have had no problems with it. Sorry if that's not really the solution you were looking for.

#11 Edited by warxsnake (2650 posts) -

set ur sample rate to 48khz if its at 96khz 

#12 Edited by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -
@MB said:

" I had a similar problem and fixed it by rerouting my audio cables away from power cords. Sounds simple but it worked. "

@Marz said:

" probably getting EMI on your soundboard.  "

Yeah this is basically what I'm gonna check next as I've tried everything else. Probably what it is too. My question though is which cables to separate from each other?
 
I have some tied close together for cable management, but I don't have a sound card (integrated), so there's no audio cables besides one from the front 2 audio jacks on the case. The problem happens in both those ports and for the rear audio ports though.  I could try separating my power cable away from my hdmi-enabled video card as well. I just don't know which cables could be causing the problem. Like I said, I have a lot of stuff tied together for cable management that runs on the back-side of the case. Of course there's a metal plate for the motherboard to mount on that separates it from the cables, but there are some holes in the plate such as under the cpu and such. Would cables to close to the underside of the motherboard cause any troubles?
 
I'm gonna open my case and see what I can find out, but if anyone has any guidance as to what cables would usually cause EMI that'd be great, rather than me just kinda blindly separating cables.
#13 Posted by MB (12408 posts) -
@TripMasterMunky: I had to reroute the audio cable away from various power cords that were all lumped together...sorry I can't be more specific than that. It was obvious when I was moving the cable around when sound was playing though, as I could hear the EMI fluctuate as I moved cables about.
Moderator
#14 Posted by frostyxc (21 posts) -

I don't know if you ever got the problem fixed, but you might try muting the digital audio inputs and outputs (if you are just using an analog connection). I always had a low hum with onboard audio until I muted those things.

#15 Posted by BigGrayGolem (1 posts) -

SOLUTION FOUND!! (??) I know this is an old post, but a lot of people have been suffering with this problem and this comes up pretty high in Google, so I thought I would post what appears to be the solution. 
 
I had the same problem - periodic CPU spikes accompanied by a buzz from the speakers - but I am running a Tablet PC with an onboard audio card. It wasn't EMF, it wasn't the microphone, none of the problems mentioned here. Drivers are irrelevant (everyone posting about this problem says they have updated the drivers.)  
 
I ran Resource Monitor from within Windows 7 and watched what spiked when the buzz occurred.. and found it was iaantmon.exe -- the executable for Intel Matrix Storage Event Monitor. About every ten seconds or so, it would spike, causing the mouse to lag for just a half-second or so, the CPU to spike, and the sound to buzz.  This is for RAID setups, which is not necessary when running a simple laptop with a single platter hard drive like mine, so I made a restore point, ran MSCONFIG and disabled the process from startup. One drama-free reboot later, and the problem is gone. I tested and ran a bunch of high-load programs simultaneously to see if I could get the CPU to spike (and the sound to buzz), but couldn't replicate the problem afterwards.  I am seeing no repercussions at all from disabling it. These guys found the same thing (in a different context, though.) That link does discuss some of the downsides (performance wise) for disabling it, but it's from 2008, so I am not sure how applicable it is under a 2011 Win7 setup.
 
If anything changes, or if I find out more, I will update here. But it seems this is the solution. 
 
For those of you actually NEEDING iaantmon.exe, not sure what you can do, though.

#16 Posted by Vaeltaja (1 posts) -

I started having this problem, when I bought a headset and connected them so with my speakers, that both of them would play audio. I used RealTek HD Audio manager to play both audio.

Sound buzzing went away when I undid previously mentioned thing. All I had to do was uncheck the box for "Disable front panel jack detection" from "Connector settings". It's the folder looking icon on upper right corner of the window.

I hope this helps someone else, because this was the first result on Google for this problem and the thread is pretty old.

#17 Posted by Devildoll (881 posts) -

@vaeltaja: yeah, your front panel mic was probably set to broadcast into your headphones and speakers, even if you didnt have a mic hooked up there, it probably picked up interferrence from your computer ( buzzing sound )

Since the front panel connectors travel through the entire case, using wires that are pretty thin and prone to interferrence.
always avoid the front panel if possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.