Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Audio, Optical Connection!!!

SpartanII686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i want to connect my PC to my Blu-ray Home Theater system, just for the sound. The only "in" connection on the blu-ray system is the optical and analog(stereo).

i want know do 5.1 audio signals(be it dts, Dolby, trueHD, etc) play through optical connection?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

They do for my PS3, if the PC gives out dts signal it should but I am not sure it will?

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If your PC is outputting a 5.1 signal then an optical connection should carry it. AFAIK only certain sound cards output a 5.1 signal though.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Your motherboard will need to be encoding the audio too if its not already compressed optical can only do compressed audio on 5 channels uncompressed PCM will only get you 2 chan

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

As long as your pc can encode the into the same type of signal that your player is able to decode, then yes. A lot of times (especially on pc sound cards) digital optical inputs on devices are only capable of accepting or decoding PCM (stereo) signals even if they are able to encode into a Dolby or DTS format. what sound card and what blu ray player are you using? usually the answer can be found in the device's manual.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.