Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Best/Quietest Cooling Solution

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I built my PC about a year ago and it has about 4 fans (maybe 3) in it. The problem is that these fans (when playing pretty much any game) vent a lot of heat and can sometimes get a bit loud. I know this is a good thing, but are there any other cooling solutions that would be relatively easy to install that would be quieter and reduce the amount of heat generated? I assume I am wanting liquid cooling, but I have no idea how that works or how to even go about installing/buying it. Any help would be awesome!

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

You can install basic liquid cooling kits for your CPU.

Installing any liquid cooling beyond that will be a bit more involved, I would google around for some guides if thats the way you want to go. This might also depend on the amount of space you have in your case. Liquid cooling is generally a more expensive option used when people want to get the most out of their system with overclocking. I'm not even sure if it's that much quieter than a good air cooled PC.

Air cooling is always a sufficient option unless your computer is set up in a sauna or something.

The best and cheapest solution would be to look into purchasing some better and quieter fans, stock case fans are generally pretty underwhelming.

Could you provide some pictures or details of your case? Ensuring you have a good airflow across your hottest components is important, generally your GPU produces the most heat. With better airflow I guess less heat will actually be produced because it will dissipate faster and the components won't rise to as high temperatures.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By VACkillers

Best suggestion is what you call a "closed loop" water solution and their actually very effective, most people use those now isntead of the insane banana water cooling you see on youtube lol....... Here are a couple examples, you just simply install them like you would with a regular heatsink for your CPU pretty much and thats it, no mass tubing to mess around with, no massive water resovrior/radiator you have to deal with outside the case or anything.

COOLER Master Seidon 240

CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i water cooler

Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Realistically the noisiest fan in a modern PC is going to be the video card if it's running a stock cooling solution. Replacing the fans on those can be pretty simple however you will need to keep in mind that doing so will void most vendor warranties (there are a few who are fine with it).

CPU stuff is simple enough although realistically if you are only running stock clocks the stock cooler shouldn't get to loud. If it does swap it out for something with some large low rpm fans or a close liquid solution like the H80i.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Like others have said, first you need to identify where the majority of the noise is coming from. The fans in my case for example are great, getting in lots of air but staying quiet and if I'm playing a demanding game, the only thing I can hear is my GPU.

Troispoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Troispoint

I always hear a lot of good things from Noctua fans. They're supposed to be high end air cooling, but they also cost like high end air cooling. lol

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes Noctua fans are very good, and quiet.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"Best" seems to be liquid nitrogen:

Loading Video...

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL.. ok no need to get ridiculous here :D

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Devildoll

@cbarnes86 said:

The problem is that these fans (when playing pretty much any game) vent a lot of heat and can sometimes get a bit loud. I know this is a good thing, but are there any other cooling solutions that would be relatively easy to install that would be quieter and reduce the amount of heat generated? I assume I am wanting liquid cooling, but I have no idea how that works or how to even go about installing/buying it. Any help would be awesome!

The premade watercooling kits are usually not that much better than what you can achieve with air .

Regarding the heat, Your computer generates the heat. your cooling solution grabs that heat and throws it out the case and into your room, if you buy a more efficient solution, your components will be better cooled, but that means there will be more heat going out the computer and into your room, you cant make it magically disappear, without introducing coolant constantly, for example liquid nitrogen, or a water cooling solution with a radiator outside your room. or a peltier element (thermoelectric cooling).

of course these advanced solutions wont make the heat magically disappear either, it just makes it go somewhere else that isn't your room.

To combat the noise, identify what components are making it, most likely the cpu or gpu,
    Dump a huge cooler on it, and perhaps replace your case fans for some that are more efficient instead of loud ( if they are loud ).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.