Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Can my PSU handle this?

Geo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Geo888

I'm upgrading most of the components in my pc but im wondering if my current power supply (Antec Earthwatts 430) would work fine. Heres my new system specs. My current PSU has two 12V rails with a combined max load of 30A.

MSI 790GX-G65

Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870

AMD Phenom X2 550

Crucial Ballistix 4GB ddr3 1333

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By myke_tuna

Possibly? I think if you REALLY want to be safe, you wait a bit longer than what you expected to and buy a PSU as well. You could probably get a 600 and higher watt PSU for around 80-110 bucks with a 12V rail of 40 or more. But you could always take a chance with your current one. Is it really 30A or are you just adding the 12V rails? I was thinking about this myself a while back, and I read up that simply adding isn't the correct way. Hopefully someone that knows more about rails and PSUs can come in. But again, you should just get a new, more powerful one. That way you won't have to worry about it either.

Geo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Geo888

it says on the box that it has a combined max of 30A. The two rails themselves each have a 17A rating. I've had the power supply for around 2 years so im not sure if that makes a difference.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

Probably really borderline.  Do you have the required 2 PCI-e power connectors?  The 450W or less PSUs I know of only have 1.

edit : looked it up on newegg, your PSU only has 1 6-bin PCI-e power connector, which isn't enough.  I hear you can get a cable to use 2 SATA power for 1 6-bin PCI-e, but I'm not sure how reliable that is.

Geo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Geo888

thats the other thing i was wondering. My power supply has one. but the card comes with two 4pin connectors that convert to the pci-e ones. iv never bought a card that needed the extra connectors so im not sure about that.

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By QuattroRS6

If i were you i would def buy a new PSU with the other upgrades.  I don't think your current one will cut it and if it does itll be borderline like the above poster said which can lead to problems.  Here's a link to 3 different systems.  Hopefully it helps you pick a power supply.
     http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/dream_machine

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.